Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's amazing how well they move with the weight of the armour and peering through the slots or holes of the helmet visor.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DBT
It's amazing how well they move with the weight of the armour and peering through the slots or holes of the helmet visor.

That’s gotta take its toll on the body after a while. Imagine what it was like back in the day when they were doing this chit for real?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Waaay too much flex in the swords.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

I noticed that too but better to have them flex than break.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 05/19/20.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Charlie Brown is an umpire?

Those cats be in good shape!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

P

Yep... Watch this...

https://youtu.be/-dnfaZDFtMA

Coyotes shot no waiting.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
What pissed me off is that they gave the Frog the win. Looked to me like the Brit dominated.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 05/19/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What pissed me off is that they gave the Frog the win. Looked to me like the Bit dominated.

Didn't piss me off but I was thinking the same thing. Course I have no idea how it's scored.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GRIZZ

P

Yep... Watch this...

If you watch the Cold Steel videos you'll see how springy and flexible these blades really were. This is a one-handed Viking era sword but the same holds true for the hand-and-a-half swords those guys were using.

Makes you realize how the movie scenes where one guy uses his sword repeatedly almost as a club to beat the other guy down really don't get it right. Seems like doing that the recoil of the blade off a hard surface would play heck with your wrists.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Just got done reading "A Brief History of Medieval Warfare" 1314-1485 by Peter Reid.

According to the book it was the British longbow and the European crossbow that drove the development of heavier armor in general and of plate armor specifically.

In response to this heavier armor, likewise swords became longer, requiring the use of two hands, such that guys stopped carrying shields. To put things in perspective tho, Cold Steels' hand-and-a-half swords the same size used in that contest weigh in at less than four pounds.

In that same period, in response to plate armor, war hammers and maces delivering a crushing rather than cutting blow became popular.

In the movies, guys in battles just keep on slashing at each other forever, combat after combat, but note how tired those two quickly became. In the book the author points out cases of guys found dead on the battlefield in full armor, not a mark on them, apparently dead of heat exhaustion.

I remember reading a Scottish Highlander Reenactor website over in England where these guys were serious students of fencing. Every time they staged a mock battle with a bunch of Highlanders charging each other, broadswords and targes in hand, almost everybody involved received what would have been a lethal wound in the first two minutes.

Makes you wonder how battles back then actually went down.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

P

Yep... Watch this...

If you watch the Cold Steel videos you'll see how springy and flexible these blades really were. This is a one-handed Viking era sword but the same holds true for the hand-and-a-half swords those guys were using.

Makes you realize how the movie scenes where one guy uses his sword repeatedly almost as a club to beat the other guy down really don't get it right. Seems like doing that the recoil of the blade off a hard surface would play heck with your wrists.

Modern steel, not iron or pattern welded. Not apples to apples.

MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

P

Yep... Watch this...

That was awesome thanks Grizz.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

Just got done reading "A Brief History of Medieval Warfare" 1314-1485 by Peter Reid.

According to the book it was the British longbow and the European crossbow that drove the development of heavier armor in general and of plate armor specifically.

In response to this heavier armor, likewise swords became longer, requiring the use of two hands, such that guys stopped carrying shields. To put things in perspective tho, Cold Steels' hand-and-a-half swords the same size used in that contest weigh in at less than four pounds.

In that same period, in response to plate armor, war hammers and maces delivering a crushing rather than cutting blow became popular.

In the movies, guys in battles just keep on slashing at each other forever, combat after combat, but note how tired those two quickly became. In the book the author points out cases of guys found dead on the battlefield in full armor, not a mark on them, apparently dead of heat exhaustion.

I remember reading a Scottish Highlander Reenactor website over in England where these guys were serious students of fencing. Every time they staged a mock battle with a bunch of Highlanders charging each other, broadswords and targes in hand, almost everybody involved received what would have been a lethal wound in the first two minutes.

I’ve often wondered what real battles were like back then. I think they were very fast and very brutal. For sure, they certainly weren’t the way we see them in movies today, with guys constantly swinging, then parrying and thrusting away endlessly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pass the Italian Pole Vaulters and hold the fluff.....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I’ve often wondered what real battles were like back then. I think they were very fast and very brutal. For sure, they certainly weren’t the way we see them in movies today, with guys constantly swinging, then parrying and thrusting away endlessly.

Rob Roy has been recognized as depicting realistic sword combats, I was trying to find a clip where Rob Roy kills the brutish bully Guthrie in the tavern. IIRC its all over in the first exchange, like two seconds. OTOH neither guy is wearing armor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do they have a Viking ax division in the competition?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,316
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.