Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Kind of depends on your age, I rode no suspension in the 80’s, front suspension in the 90’s, and full squish in the 20’s. I consider each step to have been an upgrade. My current ride is a Santa Cruz 5010CC with carbon wheels and it is the best one so far.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GravyMeister

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What a poseur, still got the plastic protector on the gear cluster.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Slick Rock Moab Utah

Just toooo fuggin many people now

Crowded, steep, and not very technical, it’s still fun as a night ride. Mag 7 and The Whole Enchilada are worthy full day rides.

Last edited by BeanMan; 05/19/20.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by BeanMan

What a poseur, still got the plastic protector on the gear cluster.

Dork disk!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I got serious about bicycles age 56 in August of 2013, preparing for a 2,000 mile ride to NY State in June of 2014.

When I started, mid August, eight miles on a bicycle felt like a long ride. I was able to ride my first 100 mile day in December of that same year, just four months after I started.

The really cool thing about bicycles is, as noted, they allow us busted up and sore older guys a chance at athleticism far into old age.

100 friggin miles!!! That's impressive. Okay, serious question, how does your ass not hurt after 100 miles on that little seat? lol.

It only sounds impressive if you haven't tried it, what distance on a bike really is, is time. In this case its not 100 miles, its ten hours of loafing along at just 10-12 mph, lots of people can do 100 miles in six or seven.

This was my bike maybe twenty miles south of Helena this past summer, at the only historical marker I have seen in memory of the use of bad language by mule skinners smile

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The mistake most everybody starting out makes is that they think you're supposed to actually sit on the seat.

Actually you don't, not like that, much of your weight should be supported by your feet on the pedals, and you adjust the seat height accordingly. Even given that, saddle design is critical of course. What you see there is a traditional Brook's leather saddle, from England, sells for around $140. In use the saddle breaks in such that, though remaining hard, it conforms to the shape of your... "ahem"...... contours. When riding ya hardly notice it.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I would suggest staying away from Kona, Santa Cruz, Cannondale, and Trek.

Why?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
21 speed 27.5in Giant with front suspension - can lock it for good surfaces.

I found a track with a section that has fist sized rocks and I can manage okay on the downhill slope but sometimes get stopped trying it uphill - gotta pedal to keep the momentum but the bike will stop dead if I hit a big rock and am between pedal "power" strokes (ie pedals vertical).

More of a run up is probably the answer, but I've toyed with the idea of an electric hub just to provide smooth power through these rocky sections without getting caught out in the wrong pedal position. There's a power limit though - anything over 250W can't be ridden on the road or footpath here, and can't have a throttle (thumb or grip), only a power assist setting. I travel on roads and paths to get to the rocky track.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Someone mentioned demand. When we bought we were going to run into a long wait period of we went with different bikes. They were talking end of July to get ahold of new stock. Between increases in bike riders with this virus scare and diminished bikes being shipped to the states you may find a limit in size and model.

Thinking down the road to trail riding you may want to consider going tubeless. We’ve had 3 punctures on trails so far. It’s OK to change a tube on the trail but tubeless with sealant will save some rides and let you run a bit lower tire pressure. On a hard tail that will give you a bit more cushion on the rough stuff.

Two of our bikes are 1x12 which is great and keeps things simple. Once we started trail riding we found that we needed better pedal grip so we went with new pedals with metal lugs. That upgrade is a must for trail riding.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by slip_sinker

Why?

Lots of cracked frames, hassles with warranty, and some of them just poor design.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by antlers
It ain’t rocket science. It’s a bicycle and you’ve been given some sound and solid advice here...based on the information you’ve provided...regardless of what some clearly self-proclaimed ‘expert’ asserts. A lotta people that have responded to your thread have a lotta experience riding mountain bikes over all kinds of terrain. ‘Most’ experienced riders here don’t need your height and weight and “build” to answer the basic questions that you’ve asked. The guy at the bike shop will fit you to the correct sized frame for you. As many experienced and knowledgeable riders here have said, a good 29’er hardtail will do all that you’ve expressed you want to do in your posts. And you sure as heck don’t need to spend 3G’s to do it either...unless you just want to.
laffin’ and smh

First of all if you are relying on most bike shop mech's or sales people you are in trouble already!

Second you can't fit a person to a frame that company XYZ doesn't make!

Third you absolutely need to know someones size and build and riding style and what that riding style means to them.

A hardtail is a horrible DH bike for a beginner. A beginner isn't landing in the sweet zone, they need all the suspension they can get and they need it set up correctly with correct tire pressure as well.

By all means prove me wrong anywhere here please Antlers and maybe give us a list of trails and bike parks you have ridden?

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Ummm...

He wants to start riding for exercise. Starting off on a $4K enduro/trail bike that weighs 30 lbs probably isn't what's called for, don't you think?

Wouldn't a 27.5" hardtail with less than 100mm of fork travel be more useful for a pavement /fire road cruiser? I mean, I went pretty dang fast down fire roads with just 0-50mm of travel back in the stone age.

My thoughts: start basic, and find out what really appeals after a while.

He said he would like to get into Downhill, and if you really want to get exercise than what better than a 30lb Enduro? I get it you have never raced in an Enduro!

NO it would be a horrible bike to start riding trails and DH on. 100mm of fork is a joke and a hardtail is even funnier. If he is a big guy then it becomes hilarious.

As I already stated a Hardtail is a good bike for an advanced rider but for a beginner it sucks. Beginners are not landing in the sweet zone of the transition. They will beat the living hell out of a hardtail and themselves. On top of that most likely quit because it isn't FUN!

If all he wanted to do was climb and do laps around the neighborhood then sure a Hardtail with 100mm front suspension is fine.

I rather set up a guy for success than for failure. Make it as comfortable, stable, and fun as possible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First of all if you are relying on most bike shop mech's or sales people you are in trouble already!
lol...much better to rely on a self-proclaimed ‘expert’ on the internet as opposed to someone who actually does it for a living...still laffin’
Most quality manufacturers, like Giant, make frames for riders from 5’2” tall to 6’6” tall...six different frame sizes from XS through XL.
Third you absolutely need to know someones size and build and riding style and what that riding style means to them.
’You’ don’t need to know the OP’s “size and build” to answer the basic questions that the OP asked. He was crystal clear regarding what kind of riding he wanted to do. lol
A hardtail is a horrible DH bike for a beginner. A beginner isn't landing in the sweet zone, they need all the suspension they can get and they need it set up correctly with correct tire pressure as well.
lol...much better for a “beginner” to start out with a $5000 full squish bike as opposed to a hardtail 29’er that ‘anybody but you’ can ride just fine in all types of terrain...still laffin’
By all means prove me wrong anywhere here please Antlers and maybe give us a list of trails and bike parks you have ridden?
You schit on everyone else’s responses here with the opening words of your goofy post...and ‘that’ was clear to all who read it. Lotta guys responding here prior to your goofy post are knowledgeable and experienced riders...and they gave the OP exactly the kind of information that he was asking for. “Bike parks”...lol. Regarding your self-professed expertise...”If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Looks like my Marlin 7 29'r that replaced my 1992 Gary Fisher Aquila...added a Brooks B67 springer and love it!

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d rather set up a guy for success than for failure.
Horseschit. You’d rather profess your ‘expertise’ above that of anybody else that’s posting on a subject. You do the same thing on the knife threads...and your posts there are just as comical and posing as the one’s you’ve made here. And you’ve been called on it there by guys who have a lotta knowledge and experience regarding knives. The only steels that are any good are the ones that ‘you’ think are good; and the only makers that are any good are the ones that ‘you’ think are good; everybody else’s knowledge and experience are inferior to ‘yours’...”blah, blah, blah.” still laffin’ and smh

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by antlers
lol...much better to rely on a self-proclaimed ‘expert’ on the internet as opposed to someone who actually does it for a living...still laffin’
Most quality manufacturers, like Giant, make frames for riders from 5’2” tall to 6’6” tall...six different frame sizes from XS through XL.
’You’ don’t need to know the OP’s “size and build” to answer the basic questions that the OP asked. He was crystal clear regarding what kind of riding he wanted to do. lol
lol...much better for a “beginner” to start out with a $5000 full squish bike as opposed to a hardtail 29’er that ‘anybody but you’ can ride just fine in all types of terrain...still laffin’
You schit on everyone else’s responses here with the opening words of your goofy post...and ‘that’ was clear to all who read it. Lotta guys responding here prior to your goofy post are knowledgeable and experienced riders...and they gave the OP exactly the kind of information that he was asking for. “Bike parks”...lol. Regarding your self-professed expertise...”If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You show what you don't know about very well. Giant along with most of the major brands doesn't make a bike that will fit even a guy 6'3" or beyond. Unless you want to look like a circus elephant riding a tricycle. Please tell me about the reach and TTL on most XL's I am all ears. I am only 6'4". Tell me about the BB height and the weight over the BB on all those XL's that fit guys that are 6'2"++++++++. Still waiting to hear about your actual riding experience! I am glad you bought into your LBS salesman pitch.

Here are a few parks I have rode.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Oh right you have never DH'ed in your life! Make sure you wear a full face helmet riding your giant in your neighborhood. You need all the protecting you can get!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by slip_sinker

Why?

Lots of cracked frames, hassles with warranty, and some of them just poor design.

I've been riding Santa Cruz bikes for 20+ years (Superlight and now a Heckler) and have had zero issues with them. Trek and Cannondale definitely have issues with some of their lines, but even the tour company I go with on many of the trips (Rim Tours) rents the Santa Cruz to its customers and they always praise the durability of the bikes. [Linked Image]

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, but are you the biggest guy in your quartet?

Show us a pic of all your east coast lift tickets!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I doubt I will ever do any seriously aggressive down hill riding. My body probably can't handle it at this point. I was actually considering getting a flat handle road bike with the carbon forks since most of the time will be putzing around town and some "interurban" trials. But then I figured if I do anything more than a very tame trail, I better get something with at least a front suspension. Down hill and aggressive trails are a relative term for me. A few bumps and roots here and there might seem like a big deal to me but be something some of you blaze right over without thinking about it. As far as body specs, I'm sure my biggest challenge will be the reach versus the stand over height. I am 5'9" but my inseam isn't very long. I'll probably have to go with the tallest stand over height my balls can tolerate so that my longer torso reach isn't too short. I see some bikes have a more aggressive wheelbase I can look at to accommodate that situation to some extend. Ultimately, I will have to at least try a few out to see what height and top tube lengths tend to work with my geometry and go from there.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here are a few parks I have rode. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
lmao
Do you also save your lift tickets when you snow ski to show what an ‘expert’ you are at that endeavor...? lmao some more

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.