-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Over the years, I've posted over 60 sermons on there and they get hundreds of views each week all over the world, including muslim countries.
There's a lot more going on in Muslim countries than people realize, mainly because it's illegal and Christians often end up dead. Missionaries are risking their lives to be there. It's not unlike the 1st century Roman empire. God does his best work where the people are in the most danger. People under stress are pulled to Him.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB4

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by krp
Didn't earn me any points in seminary class either.

Kent

The very word .....preaching.....is enough to make you not want to listen.....bob

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
The pastors I know don't get to select time slots for people to get sick and/or die. I guess I could see where such a person might need a resource from time to time.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
I got a custom hand written letter from some dipshît the other day.

A local missionary, a JW.

At first I thought it was ransom letter for a kidnapping.

that must be their way, JW's, of dealing with covid and nobody opening the door.
i got the same type of hand written letter here in arizona last month.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

The very word .....preaching.....is enough to make you not want to listen.....bob

Well there are many worship centers (called that because Church is so... ya know... first century) that call them “messages” for that exact reason. People are free to call them whatever they want, but words mean things and there is a reason why the historical Church has done what it’s done using the language that it’s used.

The reason traditional churches observe preached sermons is because the Bible says that God miraculously uses flawed men to call other flawed men unto Himself when His word is proclaimed. By that standard much of what people call preaching nowadays SHOULD be called delivery of a message because it comes from a man expressing opinions and doesn’t stick closely to God’s word.

You can agree or disagree with that assertion it’s obviously your right, but that’s the reason for the foreign nomenclature.

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The messenger of God is the Holy Spirit, but man's ego redirects it to the pulpit... I long ago referred to a preacher as a 'suit at the pulpit' same message, interchangeable suit.

Kent

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by krp
The messenger of God is the Holy Spirit, but man's ego redirects it to the pulpit... I long ago referred to a preacher as a 'suit at the pulpit' same message, interchangeable suit.

Kent

Clearly there are men who fit your description.

The power of the HS being what it is, there are also many who, no matter how imperfect, deliver the means of grace Lord’s Day after Lord’s Day in a humble and God-honoring way.

God provides good shepherds for His people, praise His life-giving name.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Well there are many worship centers (called that because Church is so... ya know... first century) that call them “messages” for that exact reason. People are free to call them whatever they want, but words mean things and there is a reason why the historical Church has done what it’s done using the language that it’s used.

The reason traditional churches observe preached sermons is because the Bible says that God miraculously uses flawed men to call other flawed men unto Himself when His word is proclaimed. By that standard much of what people call preaching nowadays SHOULD be called delivery of a message because it comes from a man expressing opinions and doesn’t stick closely to God’s word.

You can agree or disagree with that assertion it’s obviously your right, but that’s the reason for the foreign nomenclature.

Very well stated. Succinct.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Maybe they share sermons???

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
For all of you hijacking another one of the "goons" reaction seeking threads.........

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 05/20/20.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

there are a lot of "empty suits" today that don't preach the Word.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Over the years, I've posted over 60 sermons on there and they get hundreds of views each week all over the world, including muslim countries.
There's a lot more going on in Muslim countries than people realize, mainly because it's illegal and Christians often end up dead. Missionaries are risking their lives to be there. It's not unlike the 1st century Roman empire. God does his best work where the people are in the most danger. People under stress are pulled to Him.

I agree. They are hungry for resources, though. I've taken 15 teams to one particular closed country and brought in many things on cds, dvds and flash drives to give to pastors there and other people.
I was a missions minister for many years before I became a pastor and am still somewhat familiar.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

there are a lot of "empty suits" today that don't preach the Word.

That’s true, Savage and they will answer for that as we all will.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I figure a good preacher can just get up there and wing it. Ad lib and let the Holy Spirit take it from there.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by billhilly
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I figure a good preacher can just get up there and wing it. Ad lib and let the Holy Spirit take it from there.

you would be dreadfully wrong.

The Bible demands that "we study to show ourselves approved, a workman that need not be ashamed."

I've winged it a few times. I've changed my sermon on the way to the pulpit a few times. I've completely ignored my notes a lot. But, to plan to "wing it". That would never enter my mind.

Pastors are tasked with preaching the whole counsel of God. If one were to "wing it" every Sunday, after a couple of months every sermon would sound the same.

Inspiration in the pulpit comes from perspiration in the study.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The same place that sells pastoral licenses most likely....

I'd be happy to pen you a sermon. What topic would you like me to cover?....Pride, maybe?

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I used to tell some of my students "You're too lazy to work for a living, so you'd better be a politician or a preacher!"

Jerry

I was too lazy to work and too scared to steal so I became a fireman.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
The same place that sells pastoral licenses most likely....

I'd be happy to pen you a sermon. What topic would you like me to cover?....Pride, maybe?

How’s about one on lack of pride ?

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Remember the joke about the preacher that timed his sermons by slipping a mint in his mouth, when the mint was gone he'd wrap up the sermon. Then came the Sunday morning he put in a button by mistake. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
my wife sits on the first row and one Sunday after I'd been preaching 15 minutes she kept leaning toward me whispering to "zip it up." After the 3rd time I looked at my watch and said "It's only 10:45, I got 15 more minutes."
Then someone finally yelled out "you're pants are unzipped."

thankfully, not a true story.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,204
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.