Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#14896370 05/20/20
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Didn't want to compete with the current thread up top but it got me wondering so I figured to take an informal survey.

What do you guys use as your kit gun? "Kit gun" can mean whatever you want it to here except an EDC self defense piece - unless it serves double duty for that, which is fine, too.

To get the ball rolling, I don't currently have one. Have had three Model 63's and a couple Model 34's, and used to carry a Model 15 .38. If I got another one I'd have to flip a coin between a Ruger SP101 4" .22, the same in a .357 with a 4" barrel, or maybe an LCRx. Most likely would go with the SP101 4" .22 mostly 'cause it's close to the original Model 63.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
LCR in .22LR

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In responding, I would suggest that people also include what they think is the largest cartridge that can be used as a "kit gun."

I think most older guys would say that a kit gun can only be either a .22lr or .22 Mag. A few might go as far as a .32, but what about anything larger? Also, historically, kit guns have been overwhelmingly revolvers (and the Colt Woodsman). Must a kit gun be a wheel gun?

Personally, I don't think a kit gun must be a small caliber, nor a wheel gun. In the last few years, I've carried a G19 loaded with FMJ's, along with a magazine of JHP's.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A S&W M60 3" 38 spl. is my ultimate kit gun. Like a female, I reserve the right to change my mind!

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Glock 22lr

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
My 2 favorites are a LCR22 and a SW M15.

A cool mid offering would be a 3" LCRx in 327 Fed Mag. Don't think Ruger has gotten there yet though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Glock 44

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
S&W M-63 4".

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ruger Single Six. 4 5/8" barrel, both .22 lr and .22 mag cylinders

Always have it with the mag cylinder in it when running dogs or riding horses. It been responsible for the demise of about 20 porcupines over the past couple years.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Robster; 05/21/20.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I thought a Kit Gun was always a small S&W revolver in 22RF caliber

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Waders
In responding, I would suggest that people also include what they think is the largest cartridge that can be used as a "kit gun."

I think most older guys would say that a kit gun can only be either a .22lr or .22 Mag. A few might go as far as a .32, but what about anything larger? Also, historically, kit guns have been overwhelmingly revolvers (and the Colt Woodsman). Must a kit gun be a wheel gun?

Personally, I don't think a kit gun must be a small caliber, nor a wheel gun. In the last few years, I've carried a G19 loaded with FMJ's, along with a magazine of JHP's.

To me chambering shouldn't be a factor. It's just something you keep in a certain place so that you're not without it when you go to do a certain thing. "Part of your kit."

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave

To me chambering shouldn't be a factor. It's just something you keep in a certain place so that you're not without it when you go to do a certain thing. "Part of your kit."

In that case it would be my P365

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Didn't want to compete with the current thread up top but it got me wondering so I figured to take an informal survey.

What do you guys use as your kit gun? "Kit gun" can mean whatever you want it to here except an EDC self defense piece - unless it serves double duty for that, which is fine, too.

To get the ball rolling, I don't currently have one. Have had three Model 63's and a couple Model 34's, and used to carry a Model 15 .38. If I got another one I'd have to flip a coin between a Ruger SP101 4" .22, the same in a .357 with a 4" barrel, or maybe an LCRx. Most likely would go with the SP101 4" .22 mostly 'cause it's close to the original Model 63.

I agree with you about the SP-101 4 in .22LR. It would work very well.

The one I carry the most is my 651 revolver in .22 WMR. Surprisingly accurate, it easily outshoots my model 63 in my hands. I most often use it to shoot grouse or a rabbit.

I have a 63 as well but use it only when I am hunting sage rats or for practice. If I go up to a CF handgun it is usually My taurus TI .357 Magnum. It weighs within an ounce of the 651.

I have two autoloaders I use for kit guns too. First is my 22/45 Lite MKiii. I have a scope or red dot on it most of the time. The othe is a 9mm Glock loaded with Buffalo Bore 147 gr hardcasts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Rossi 511, 515, 518, and 720 depending on what I'm doing and/or where I'm going.

Mostly carry the 518, .22 MAG, and 720, .44 Special. Having 3 hard cast 240 grain SWCs and 2 CCI snakeshot cartridges in a compact stainless revolver gives me a little peace of mind.

EDIT: The S&W 422/622.2206 with 4.5" barrels could be used as kit guns if you weren't going to use snakeshot. I have found that for me, .22 LR snake shoe isn't as effective as. 22 MAG and that neither are as effective as the .38/357 and .44 varieties.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 05/21/20. Reason: Added comment
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by deflave

In that case it would be my P365

Same here, shown with a spare magazine of off-pavement ammo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My go-everywhere do-everything gun is my 4-5/8" barreled Ruger Super Blackhawk. Camping, hiking, fishing, shooting tin cans. A few times it's been my primary hunting gun. It goes for me every morning on my 2 mile walk, sleeps by the bed .. etc.

I would like to find something lighter than 45 ounces without giving up too much whop or increasing the recoil too much. I don't think such a thing exists, not by my yardsticks.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jim in Idaho: I love my Smith & Wesson Model 34's, Model 63's and my Model 651 ("J" frame in 22 Magnum).
They often "go along" in my "kit" or on my hip when Hunting in Snake country, Grouse country, Small Game country or when I may need a signal pistol.
Big plus in that I can carry a "50 pack" of ammo along with what is already in the pistol.
Of course these are carried on the hip in a perfectly fitted Uncle Mikes type holster (to prevent damage to the pistol and its finish).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My kit guns, are simple. I like the Ruger SP101 in 22 LR, I do wish they manufactured it in 22 mag. I like my Ruger stainless Single Six. I've carried one for many a mile. If I want a little more there's the Ruger Security Six 4". In the lower 48, I'm pretty much ready for anything including being out all night. Sometimes it's just a Ruger Bear Cat. I sure would like an extra cylinder for that one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A kit gun to me is a smaller caliber gun that you would use for targets of opportunity that you wouldn’t want to use your main gun for.

I’ve always got a pistol, even when carrying a rifle but my kit gun, the G44, goes with me in my HPG kit bag for things like shooting a snake when I’m fishing or hiking and want to kill something without firing a bigger gun.

So for me it has to be light, small enough to be carried easily and accurate enough to do the job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My old S&W M63, a Ruger 22/45 LITE or SR22. Over the years I have made use of various small to midsize .38 Specials as a kit gun. Generally the .38's use either 148 gr. wadcutters or 158 gr. SWC at low velocity.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,566
Posts18,473,245
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.