-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The streams in my corner of N.W. Montana are pre-run off and very cold . Our mountains are still covered with snow. If it warms up fast we will have substantial run off.
Tricky timing for stream fishing.

For medium size rivers the Stillwater and Boulder east of Bozeman can provide good wade fishing. The small creeks , well find one that looks good and give it a whirl, they get little press and we like it that way.... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I wanted to stop in the Hills I'd check it out on the Internet first. Part of promoting tourism in the state. I know some of it is catch and release and I'd guess more is barbless. But the only trout fishing I've done west of the Missouri was in Colorado. My uncle was logging there and had his secret streams. Some you could about step over but every pool held a fish. Waters get way too warm in my part of the state.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I’m a C&R guy and all my hooks are barbless so I’m pretty much good to go on any creek. Pretty excited about this one. Thanks to all for the help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure but something in the back of my mind says you have to reserve a place on the popular hotspots. Probably wrong but would be nice to know ahead of time. I miss trout fishing. More like hunting than drifting across a lake hoping to find a walleye hungry for a leech snack, But then I don't miss getting hung up in the brush along a stream in northern Wisconsin. And playing with the perch fingerlings around a dock with a fly rod (doubt you could hook one with a #12) always draws curious looks. smile

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Late June is still runoff season around Bozo, followed immediately upon clearing water by salmonfly hatch. Not exactly empty stretches of river. Also, water is still big, and fairly impossible to wade fish.

Big Hole starts it off, then Upper Madison and Gallatin, Yellowstone is the last and best.

Can you row a driftboat in fast water?

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Backroads
Late June is still runoff season around Bozo, followed immediately upon clearing water by salmonfly hatch. Not exactly empty stretches of river. Also, water is still big, and fairly impossible to wade fish.

Big Hole starts it off, then Upper Madison and Gallatin, Yellowstone is the last and best.

No boat. Wade only trip. Fish dries with cane rods primarily. Might have to start looking for some spring creeks to fish.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you can row, you don't need a boat. Especially if you buy beer and shuttles... Grin

Feel free to PM me..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

No boat. Wade only trip. Fish dries with cane rods primarily. Might have to start looking for some spring creeks to fish.

on the Yellowstone don't come to early....myself I like it in September....no crowds clear water..etc.......having said that...I have some properties just out of emigrant.....one has a shop with a full bathroom...you could tent camp there or sleep in the shop and have a place for s&s...schiiten and showers.....no charge just don't leave a mess.

starting in end of june I will be in big sky...8 months o joy....but I only go for 3 to 4 days.....if the schedules worked out and the river isn't to high when you come....and you are not a dickhead...I have a 14' raft set up for fishing ...I would take you out for the day

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

on the Yellowstone don't come to early....myself I like it in September....no crowds clear water..etc.......having said that...I have some properties just out of emigrant.....one has a shop with a full bathroom...you could tent camp there or sleep in the shop and have a place for s&s...schiiten and showers.....no charge just don't leave a mess.

starting in end of june I will be in big sky...8 months o joy....but I only go for 3 to 4 days.....if the schedules worked out and the river isn't to high when you come....and you are not a dickhead...I have a 14' raft set up for fishing ...I would take you out for the day

Bob,

PM sent!

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
If you can row, you don't need a boat. Especially if you buy beer and shuttles... Grin

Feel free to PM me..

I know what you guys are saying and totally appreciate it, believe me, but I’m primarily a dry fly guy and fish almost exclusively with cane rods. I’d rather find some nice quiet out of the way spot all to myself than float the big water. Ive done it and been on several guided trips, but I just never really got into floating the bigger crowded rivers, while banging away at the bank looking for lunkers.

I’d much rather find a really pretty stretch of quiet backwater with some decent fish and enjoy the beauty and solitude. I would be happy to just spend an entire day quietly wading and catching a few smaller fish on dry flies, than a couple hours manically chucking streamers or nymphs and hooking a fish every other cast, as crazy as it sounds to some because I know people pay big bucks for those trips.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm all about fly fishing but the combination of you not wanting to stray too far from you truck and not being able to access stretches of smaller rivers and streams that are intentionally land locked for the reason of keeping people from being able to access the better fishing makes it extremely limiting on offering you any tips for a quality trip.

Best of luck.....

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JeffA
I'm all about fly fishing but the combination of you not wanting to stray too far from you truck and not being able to access stretches of smaller rivers and streams that are intentionally land locked for the reason of keeping people from being able to access the better fishing makes it extremely limiting on offering you any tips for a quality trip.

Best of luck.....

Jeff,

Im not trying to be obtuse and I appreciate every nugget of advice believe me. Try to understand what I’m saying . I’m traveling from my sons house back to mine with several thousand dollars worth of equipment in the truck. Now if I can stay at Bob’s place and leave the stuff secured there, that will be a game changer for me as I don't have to worry about someone breaking into the truck and making off with everything.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Where in MN? It's not trout, but, if you're anywhere in N MN, you could divert E on Hwy 2 and catch the ever-living crap outta white bass and/or Northern Pike on a fly from shore. Continue E to Hwy 83, drop S about 50Mi and fish the Garrison Dam Missouri River Tailrace for pretty much every fish known to swim in fresh water. Salmon, Rainbows, Browns, carp, channel catfish, walleyes, saugers, white bass, Pallid Sturgeon, Paddle-fish, small-mouth bass, you name it, it's in that tailrace.

If you're only targeting trout, I understand, but, I'm pretty much 0 help in that category.

I should've read your post with the float tube in it, my suggestions pretty much don't apply.

Last edited by horse1; 05/21/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by horse1
Where in MN? It's not trout, but, if you're anywhere in N MN, you could divert E on Hwy 2 and catch the ever-living crap outta white bass and/or Northern Pike on a fly from shore. Continue E to Hwy 83, drop S about 50Mi and fish the Garrison Dam Missouri River Tailrace for pretty much every fish known to swim in fresh water. Salmon, Rainbows, Browns, carp, channel catfish, walleyes, saugers, white bass, Pallid Sturgeon, Paddle-fish, small-mouth bass, you name it, it's in that tailrace.

If you're only targeting trout, I understand, but, I'm pretty much 0 help in that category.

I should've read your post with the float tube in it, my suggestions pretty much don't apply.

Thank you very much horse. Sounds like a great place to head with the son and grandsons. Much appreciated!

BTW, my son lives in Waconia.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 05/21/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When the time comes, if you can, provide more specificity with your route and then there are a lot of us who can provide you more precise locations to help you based on your criteria. I can do so with Montana and the Black Hills.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
When the time comes, if you can, provide more specificity with your route and then there are a lot of us who can provide you more precise locations to help you based on your criteria. I can do so with Montana and the Black Hills.

Thank you big sky. I’ve never been there but have dreamed of it my whole life. My original plan when I leave the Twin cities area is to head straight for Sturgis/Black Hills then on to western Montana in search of some dry fly wade fishing. Other than that I’m flexible. I’m starting to think what I’m looking for isn’t available till later on in July or August though. Maybe my timing just isn’t working out as I’d hoped.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 05/21/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Can I fly fish back in those hills?
Yeah, Sonny, you can fly what ever you want back in those hills.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
All PM’s replied to. Can’t thank you everyone who reached out enough. You guys are awesome... smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.