Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Looking for folks who've had experience with them and how they compare to the GLOCK 21. Thanks in advance

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MP has a better trigger. I prefer Glock for the reliability and durability.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Jorge, I don't have either but I notice that the Glock 21 has a higher magazine capacity 13 rounds to the Smith & Wesson M&P 45's 10 rounds. If I was already vested in the Glock platform with other pistols, I'd go with the 21, plus it carries as many rounds as a 9mm HiPower.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
One small reason that I have always liked Glocks is account of their mags. Years ago we tried a bunch of different service pistols. A lot of reloading and the Glock mags just didn’t wear your thumbs out like metal mags.

Maybe that’s an insignificant reason to most, but when your shooting and reloading all day it made a difference.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Jorge, I don't have either but I notice that the Glock 21 has a higher magazine capacity 13 rounds to the Smith & Wesson M&P 45's 10 rounds. If I was already vested in the Glock platform with other pistols, I'd go with the 21, plus it carries as many rounds as a 9mm HiPower.

The Glock would certainly be the easy choice, however, they are a bit bulky for my hands, so I figured maybe the MP with less capacity might fit me better. Having a hard time finding a store that has BOTH so I can compare.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I prefer the S&W over the Glock. Grip angle seems more natural and ergonomically correct for my hands and for most that shoot them side by side. I have both 9mm and .45 acp in the M&P and Shield, the M&P 45 is the most accurate, very good shooter. Never had a hicup, nothing wrong with a Glock, but I think the Smith is as dependable. I also think the M&Ps shoot a little softer than Glocks in all calibers. I carried a Glock the majority of my career so I have plenty of experience with them.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ccrifles
I prefer the S&W over the Glock. Grip angle seems more natural and ergonomically correct for my hands and for most that shoot them side by side. I have both 9mm and .45 acp in the M&P and Shield, the M&P 45 is the most accurate, very good shooter. Never had a hicup, nothing wrong with a Glock, but I think the Smith is as dependable. I also think the M&Ps shoot a little softer than Glocks in all calibers. I carried a Glock the majority of my career so I have plenty of experience with them.

Very helpful post, thank you

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ccrifles

Me too ^^^^

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
MP has a better trigger. I prefer Glock for the reliability and durability.

Because the M&P isn't?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Jorge, I would also make sure that you like the way the hinged trigger feels on the Smith & Wesson M&P. It feels a little different to my finger, compared to the Glock style triggers. You may also want to check out the Walther PPQ in 45ACP.

Last edited by ar15a292f; 05/22/20.
IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. I'll check the PPQ out as well.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a M&P 45, several years old, not the new version. Triggers a bit too heavy, but otherwise i love it. Exceedingly accurate (has a tight chamber), so it's not gonna run with sloppy reloads, but 100% reliable, with decent ammo, and handles recoil better than any 45 acp I've shot & I think I've shot them all. I love 1911's but this is a safer handgun to carry & use for anyone who's not fully experienced with the operation of the 1911.

"not too grumpy"
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I prefer the M&P45 over the G21, mine is the midsize, holds 10 rounds but I think they make 13 or 14 round mags. I did replace the trigger in mine with an Apex kit and I love it. Never had a malfunction with any hollow point or sloppy reload from my Dillon SDB, never. Very accurate and easy to shoot. I shot this group the other evening at 20 yards standing with no real aiming point besides center of the A zone. 200 grain SNS coated bullets and 5.5 grains of Unique.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I have both Glock and M&P's and like them both but the M&P45 is my favorite.
Bottom one is the 45
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by TWR; 05/22/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't own either one in 45, but I've shot both; both shoot well for me.

But I have 3 other M&P's including one of the 2.0's & the M&P's feel better & are more accurate than the equivalent Glucks in my hands.

But, honestly, much as I like M&P's 2.0's feel, Sig's are my preference, by a small margin.

At least give a look to the Sig 220 Legion before you buy............it's about Commander size, but it's also mo' money, too.

JMHO.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by ar15a292f

The Glock would certainly be the easy choice, however, they are a bit bulky for my hands, so I figured maybe the MP with less capacity might fit me better. Having a hard time finding a store that has BOTH so I can compare.

Jorge, have you looked at a G21 SF?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I own a G21 Gen4 and an M&P45 2.0. The Glock wins in capacity, aftermarket support, and I prefer the trigger, but thats about it for me. The M&P grip is thinner and more adaptable for various hand sizes. It also has a more ergonomic (for me) grip angle. The trigger is certainly usable, but like I said, I prefer Glock triggers over factory M&P triggers.

The M&P is less bulky. One thing I like about the M&P line is I can use the same holster for the 9, 40, and 45 as long as the holster is long enough to accommodate the 45, or if you have the 4 inch version of the 45. To me, the M&P45 is one of the softest shooting 45s on the market. I think that actually goes for all the M&Ps.

I really like the gun and everyone who has shot it, said they liked it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
How does the S&W M&P compare to the standard weight 1911 for recoil/soft shooting?

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The HORROR. Two Glocks followed me home today, a Gen 5 17 and a G4 21. With the GLOCK LEO/Military discount, I said WTF and bought them both. I'm going to try and convince the wife to keep the 17 as her home gun...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Congratulations Jorge, I can't wait to hear how they shoot for you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two, a 1.0 and 2.0. These are our standard issue pistols and almost all of my coworkers have chosen to stick with it. I have around 10,000 rounds through them and have used mine in competition as well(not well, but that’s more me than the gun). I can’t compare to a Glock as I’ve never used one, but I do like mine and bought back my original one when we upgraded last year. These new ones are hard on uniform shirts with their rougher grips, but they do shoot well and the standard sights are better on the 2. I ended up putting Truglo TFX Pro sights on the last one. I don’t like how the 2.0 doesn’t slam the slide closed when reloading quickly, I know it’s a safety issue but I preferred that operating style.
Regarding capacity, you can always get the extended 14 round mags if that matters. Most of us have a few of those in our trucks too.
Anyway, regarding reliability, I have literally never seen a feeding issue on my guns or any coworkers in training(no doubt well over six digits worth of rounds between us), and as a game wardens, our guns see a lot of dirt and some water.

Last edited by exbiologist; 05/23/20.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1shotnokilz, 74 invisible), 3,429 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,423
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.