Print Thread
Hop To
F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Actually more like 10 years. About 10 years ago I bought a Charles Daly 98 Mauser action made by Zastava off a Gun Broker auction. For about 6 years I dilly dallied around trying to make up my mind on what to do with it. I was kicking around the idea of building a 6.5x57 but then this enabler caught me in a weak moment and suggested I build a 7x57 instead. AND he just happened to have a short chambered 7x57 barrel he'd sell me for $125. Good price. This guy is a stand up guy despite being an enabler so I knew the barrel was sound. So what the hell, I didn't have a 7x57 yet so I bit. He sent me the barrel and I took the barrel and my action to my gun smith. Then knowing I would need a stock this enabler just happened to have a stock he thought might fit but wasn't sure. As is known here, all Mausers are NOT created equal. So he sent me the stock and I commenced to refinishing it. I had it looking really good after about 10 applications of true oil, wet sanding the first 5. Then when I got the barreled action back from my gun smith I started to try to fit it into the stock. Well, it really wasn't a good fit at all. So I got my dremmel tool and some epoxy with steel in it and went to work. The more I got into it the worse it looked and the better Boyd's sounded. But I continued to persevere. I thoroughly ruined my beautiful finish work but what the hell, it wasn't much good without a barreled action was it? And again what the hell, you can't beat free. Well that ain't so in every case. But, I'm really happy with this stock. While it wasn't a fit for my particular Mauser, it's a really great looking stock. And I'm also thankful for my friend talking me into a 7x57. The more I read about it the more excited I am to take a hog or deer or wo with it. And despite my joking about him here I'm really indebted to him for walking me through this. He's a heck of a gun guy and hunter in his own right.

Anyway, I lost interest several times and put it aside for several months at a time. But yesterday after much toiI and mental anguish I finally finished. And the new finish is about as good as or maybe better than the old one. After I finished most of the oil work I used various grit paper from 600 to 1500 to smooth things out and put a little sheen on it, the last of which was with tree wax which gave it a nice subdued sheen. If I was talented enough to post pics here I'd put some up. But I'm going to wait until my wife gets home and do that. She's pretty handy with these Computer gadgets. Anyway, I have some Sellier and Bellot 140 grain round nose factory rounds (made in the Czech Republic) that I'm going to use to get it on paper and give me some more brass to reload. I've got two boxes so I'm going to try to save one back to try out on a hog. I'll post some pics later and put them up and give you a range report. I'm thinking this ammo would be excellent on hogs and deer out to a couple hundred yards.

Anyway, it's been a long venture that someone more professional could have had done a year ago. But it wouldn't be the same if someone else did it. When I look at it I feel really good and am anxious to see how it shoots.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/24/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
HR IC

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good choice of cartridge.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great saga, I've finished one off after having it set around for years. It's a great feeling, hope it shoots great for you.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Great saga, I've finished one off after having it set around for years. It's a great feeling, hope it shoots great for you.

Me too, bought a Sako 30-06 about 5 years ago that slam fires. I need to get it to Smith for repair.

F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for all of your comments. I'm sorta new here but I'm catching on, although Big Stick does cause me to ask what planet we're on. But other than that, this place is awesome. And hanco, that sounds like a great rifle. Hope you get it figured out soon. Sako's are great rifles.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by hanco

Me too, bought a Sako 30-06 about 5 years ago that slam fires. I need to get it to Smith for repair.

Too light of a trigger. If your safety doesn’t slide on and off easily with no interference, your trigger is set too light.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by hanco

Too light of a trigger. If your safety doesn’t slide on and off easily with no interference, your trigger is set too light.

I’d be shocked if the first thing Hanco didn’t do was make sure the trigger wasn’t too light.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Congrats on getting her done...

although I love the 7 mm Mauser, I'd have done the 6.5 x 57..

but that just happens to be my favorite cartridge, so I'm biased...

That and a twin in 6mm Remington, my second favorite cartridge...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats on preserving and getting it done! I you will enjoy it more with the personal connection to it. Great job!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,579 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,504
Posts18,490,610
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.