Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have any pics but years ago I made one from old pallet 2x4's laminated together. It made a really solid oat bench but I'm not sure it was worth the effort. Getting those ring shank nails out of dry oak is a real PIA and if you miss one, it'll really chew up a set of jointer knives.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use this as a rolling bench in my shop...easy to clean.

prep table

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't have any pics but years ago I made one from old pallet 2x4's laminated together. It made a really solid oat bench but I'm not sure it was worth the effort. Getting those ring shank nails out of dry oak is a real PIA and if you miss one, it'll really chew up a set of jointer knives.

Pre drill about 1/2 the shank gauge of your nail.

Oak is a PITA.

Lots of older homes here built with oak, even smooth shank sinkers, you’re not getting them out without a fight or usually at all. Roofing nails are friggin headache on tear offs, all the heads just rip off and you pound them on in.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by sactoller
I use this as a rolling bench in my shop...easy to clean.

prep table

For this intended purpose I will consider. Could even go 2'x4 or 2'x3'.. Thanks.

For my slightly larger heavierish duty unit I am liking the looks of this base construction....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
TTT just in case.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
2x4 amazon basics kit......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've never been impressed with locking casters on a workbench if you have to really wrestle with something in the vise or any side to side force applied. OK for straight down work and light duty. You might consider retractable casters instead so your bench is resting solid on the floor instead of the casters once located.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine isn't on casters, but could be. 8' long. 2x4 legs, doubled up with a cross brace for a shelf at whatever height you want. Lag bolts and construction adhesive make it strong. Its solid.

This one is 22 years old. Replaced top with birch plywood 3-4 years ago. Can do again, if desired.

Since I built it, want to rip or router grooves in lower shelf and separate compartments with Luan plywood and put in compartments for tools, etc., but never done it. Wouldn't be hard to do.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
... This one is 22 years old. Replaced top with birch plywood 3-4 years ago. Can do again, if desired.

Built one of this design in '76 or '77. 4x4 legs. Doubled up on the 2x4's running long ways for the top. Split a sheet of 3/4" CDX lengthwise and doubled up for the top. Have used for all manner of mayhem including storing and working on Chrysler V8's. Survived 7 or 8 moves, two wives. Sits in the barn ready to use when needed....

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
I've never been impressed with locking casters on a workbench if you have to really wrestle with something in the vise or any side to side force applied. OK for straight down work and light duty. You might consider retractable casters instead so your bench is resting solid on the floor instead of the casters once located.

Not a HD heavy chit wrestling bench. Might get a 3" vise on this one. Rolling is mandatory. I know there's a way to make the casters pivot... Thinking....

Thanks, appreciate it! wink
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Mine isn't on casters, but could be. 8' long. 2x4 legs, doubled up with a cross brace for a shelf at whatever height you want. Lag bolts and construction adhesive make it strong. Its solid.

This one is 22 years old. Replaced top with birch plywood 3-4 years ago. Can do again, if desired.

Since I built it, want to rip or router grooves in lower shelf and separate compartments with Luan plywood and put in compartments for tools, etc., but never done it. Wouldn't be hard to do.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.