Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm afraid to go look at my jack stands spent more time than I like under my truck and autos this last year. When changing out the suspension on my truck I used 2 jack stands and 2 floor jacks . A safety for my safety. Cousins husbad had his auto fall on him, talk about fu-ck-ed up!

Last edited by sidepass; 05/24/20.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by mirage243
When are dumb mf'ers gonna stop shopping at HF and buying this chinese sheit?

When someone opens a business that sells american made what I need now. $100 in fuel 2 hrs of my time and you get there and they don't have it in stock. The internet has created a business atmosphere where inventory cost, so if you need something they will order it for you. I can order it myself and do so if I know up front what I need next week. If needed now that china crap will have to do. Especially with the virus shutdowns.

Snap On and Mac trucks come by my shop every week, usually have what I need. I own about 150K worth of their tools, sheit don't break and if it does they hand me another one.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
All bets off on removing nuts that have been out in the weather. I have an old HF set; they definitely believe in clearances on their tolerances

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I keep a few breaker bars in the toolbox.

There is also a 4' piece of cheater pipe stashed.

And I try not to use a cheater on a ratchet.

And I really try not to buy Chinese tools. Most of my stuff is Taiwan, USA, Spain or German.

[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/24/20.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
That reminds me, I just got tires at Jose’s New and Used Tire Shop. They are fast and cheap but man, they don’t mess around with them air wrenches.

Gotta break the nuts loose in the driveway first and re-torque them to doable before I end up trying to do the same out by the highway somewhere.

Mike ,

Those air impact wrenches can warp your rotors and disfigure the hole where the nut faces up on the wheel .

I got new tires a week ago and said -- please don't impact hammer my wheels on , they didn't , but i checked them all that evening and they were from too tight to not nearly tight enough .

Gitter done Rock Chuck .....

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When are dumb mf'ers gonna stop shopping at HF and buying this chinese sheit?

When someone opens a business that sells american made what I need now. $100 in fuel 2 hrs of my time and you get there and they don't have it in stock. The internet has created a business atmosphere where inventory cost, so if you need something they will order it for you. I can order it myself and do so if I know up front what I need next week. If needed now that china crap will have to do. Especially with the virus shutdowns.

Snap On and Mac trucks come by my shop every week, usually have what I need. I own about 150K worth of their tools, sheit don't break and if it does they hand me another one.

No doubt my box would be filled with like tools if I wrenched for a living or if I just had more expendable income. Wait! my safe would be full of expensive shotguns that the wife would say we can't afford . I am shopping for some new longer box combo wrenches sae and metric and they will be Wright or SK and not HF.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
That reminds me, I just got tires at Jose’s New and Used Tire Shop. They are fast and cheap but man, they don’t mess around with them air wrenches.

Gotta break the nuts loose in the driveway first and re-torque them to doable before I end up trying to do the same out by the highway somewhere.

Mike ,

Those air impact wrenches can warp your rotors and disfigure the hole where the nut faces up on the wheel .

I got new tires a week ago and said -- please don't impact hammer my wheels on , they didn't , but i checked them all that evening and they were from too tight to not nearly tight enough .

Gitter done Rock Chuck .....

Always check my lug nut torque after leaving the tire shop. The last tire change I watched the guy and all hand tools used for tightening and torgue. Still checked the values at home.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Guys would ask how much torque to use on lug nuts. I would tell them 1 foot pound or 2 foot pounds, depending on how many feet they had on the bar.
That or the classic 'Turn it til it strips, then back off 1/4 turn.'

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fugawe
Guys would ask how much torque to use on lug nuts. I would tell them 1 foot pound or 2 foot pounds, depending on how many feet they had on the bar.

Hand tight. Whose hand ,yours or mine?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by EdM
Total misuse of a tool and expecting a warranty replacement to boot...

dishonesty comes in all shapes and sizes and colors...….this is a prime example of that...….bob

A 3/4 wrench that can't handle 180 ft lb of torque is defective.

They make breaker bars so you won't use wrenches, ratchets and torque wrenches to break nuts and bolts loose.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm not a big ,135# if I fall in the creek. I have broken or twisted 1/2 " Snap On's and Craftman's 1/2' breaker bars using a cheater on them. I now have a 3/4"drive ,18"long breaker, a 4 ft pipe cheater,and an high impact quality socket for my truck and trailers.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"an high impact quality socket for my truck and trailers."

That's what I need plus somebody to mount the 125 lb tire wheel for me,

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Guys, don't forget, if you are running aluminum wheels, ALWAYS retorque them after 50 - 100 miles. Doesn't matter if you put them on or somebody else.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dave284
Guys, don't forget, if you are running aluminum wheels, ALWAYS retorque them after 50 - 100 miles. Doesn't matter if you put them on or somebody else.

Not trying to be smart alec but what happens to need to be retorqed?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Most people don't realize that steel car wheels are dished where they bolt onto the axel. When you torque them down the center of the wheel flexes and functions like a lock washer. I spent several years working in auto wheel factories. The center of the wheels are stamped out with a series of progressive dies. One of the most important aspects of the quality control was measuring the dishing.

A wheel with inadequate dishing has a very real risk of coming loose and causing lawsuits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fugawe

A co-worker is about 6'4" 300#+, a big strong dude.
One day he comes in saying "I think something is wrong, my truck has a bad shimmy." We go out, I'm looking at the wheels for missing nut/studs.

Try by hand to see if they are tight, a couple turn.
Get a breaker bar and socket,. He said, "They aint loose, i rotated them last week, and tighened them." I turn them...and turn them...
They are stripped.

Not the threads,

The ribs on the studs.

When ask how tight he made them,
"Until they screeched?"

"You went one screech too far.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by kennyd
All bets off on removing nuts that have been out in the weather. I have an old HF set; they definitely believe in clearances on their tolerances

Yep. Breakaway torque usually exceeds makeup torque even without corrosion or grit.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Their 1/2 inch Icon breaker bar at 25 inches has worked for me. They have a 3/4 inch Icon breaker bar at 36 inches for $90.00 . Have bought some of their stuff for a 1 time use job. Bought myself an electric Milwaukee impact wrench last year, what a god send.

Totally on the Milwakee.The first time I used it I thought it was broken. It gave a little low rpm zzt and the lug nut was in my hand. Just a little bit of advice. Don't use it on a locking lug nut, the ones with the squiggly slots. I sheared the male end of the "key" right off.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (1Longbow, 22kHornet, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.