Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Looking good j. Cool you had some 2520 laying around. Im surprised its going so slow, as compared to my chrono findings today. Looks like its printing pretty good though. You liking that 10x scope better than the 4x? Looks like your groups are a little tighter and on the orange. Should score well at the reduced yardage competition.

I like it because I can see a lot better at 100yds lol. I use the 4x for my service rifle setup. You should see what 600yds looks like at 4x.. I have 3 of these 10x I have one on my other rifle that’s set up for AR tactical. 600yds through a 10x ain’t so bad.. you do have a 20 inch barrel compared to my 18. I can’t believe velocity loss is so extreme in these AR. Looks like what 150 FPS an inch?

You can't believe that, you should have seen how my AR's spanked my 22" 223 predator rifle when it came to velocities... They downright just spanked that bolt gun. It couldn't keep up, even though it has a barrel that is 2" longer..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found ARcomp to give very good speeds along with Varget.. more i think about it I’m going to stick with rl15 for my reduced yardage load. 2520 is to hit or miss from lot to lot.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Looking good j. Cool you had some 2520 laying around. Im surprised its going so slow, as compared to my chrono findings today. Looks like its printing pretty good though. You liking that 10x scope better than the 4x? Looks like your groups are a little tighter and on the orange. Should score well at the reduced yardage competition.

I like it because I can see a lot better at 100yds lol. I use the 4x for my service rifle setup. You should see what 600yds looks like at 4x.. I have 3 of these 10x I have one on my other rifle that’s set up for AR tactical. 600yds through a 10x ain’t so bad.. you do have a 20 inch barrel compared to my 18. I can’t believe velocity loss is so extreme in these AR. Looks like what 150 FPS an inch?

You can't believe that, you should have seen how my AR's spanked my 22" 223 predator rifle when it came to velocities... They downright just spanked that bolt gun. It couldn't keep up, even though it has a barrel that is 2" longer..

Now that you mentioned earlier about two different lots of 2520 I can see why the difference .. but I know guys with 20 inch barrels get almost 100 FPS better than me, so 50 FPS per inch isn’t to bad. Reason I push my stuff hard or on the edge I want to stretch this 223 Wylde out to 1k. In order for me to do that I have to get velocity over 2650 so that bullet stays transonic out to 1k yds. Right now we have a match scheduled at the only 1000yd range with pop up targets in Alaska this coming summer.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could very well be a different lot too. The old guy was telling me today that you have to watch out for different lots and its bad because it was manufactured in different facilities. Israel, chech republic, Belgium and the US. So different velocities are to be expected. The bottles he gave me look old. I didnt check to see where it was made.
And now you guys know why nobody competes with 2520.
I've only seen one lot# of AR Comp. Been using it for ~5 years. Made about 4 separate purchases over those years.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Could very well be a different lot too. The old guy was telling me today that you have to watch out for different lots and its bad because it was manufactured in different facilities. Israel, chech republic, Belgium and the US. So different velocities are to be expected. The bottles he gave me look old. I didnt check to see where it was made.
I've only seen one lot# of AR Comp. Been using it for ~5 years. Made about 4 separate purchases over those years.

Makes sense about 2520. No one wants to dink around with load development everytime they get a new can of powder. Especially if you rely on it for competition.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

I think the other big reason is that it's really temp sensitive. Adjusting for a given lot is easy enough, especially if you've bought a large quantity of it, but accounting for the temp changes is a different thing.

I do suggest though, BSA, to be careful about putting much stock in primer appearance or recoil to judge pressures; neither are very reliable indicators. If you're also using milder RL15 loads, your rifle is probably overgassed with 2520 before it hits max pressure, and that's what you're experiencing. Restricting the gas down a little more and using CCI 450 or #41 primers can make the same load seem pretty normal again, and higher velocities are to be expected with the right ball powders.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Yondering

I think the other big reason is that it's really temp sensitive. Adjusting for a given lot is easy enough, especially if you've bought a large quantity of it, but accounting for the temp changes is a different thing.

I do suggest though, BSA, to be careful about putting much stock in primer appearance or recoil to judge pressures; neither are very reliable indicators. If you're also using milder RL15 loads, your rifle is probably overgassed with 2520 before it hits max pressure, and that's what you're experiencing. Restricting the gas down a little more and using CCI 450 or #41 primers can make the same load seem pretty normal again, and higher velocities are to be expected with the right ball powders.

I say bullscheit yondering. You are wrong buddy. Look at book max speeds. I'm over that with the loads that I said were too hot. I'm not new to the reloading game buddy. If you sit back a bit and watch, you may learn something..

Here is a little more to add to the op from loads I fired off today:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

To everyone else interested, the AA2520 powder is working well enough as far as getting higher velocities than AR Comp with the 75gr Hornady BTHP match bullet. The Hornady load manual also verify's that. In my notes on one of the targets, I list Hornady's max velocity and max load from their service rifle load data. I could see and feel pressure signs with these loads when they were over book max velocity with AR Comp. 2600 fps is all I'd want to push my rifle with this powder, based on feedback from said rifle and load... I also know for a fact that I can push this bullet to well over 2800 fps with AA 2520, but I personally would not load past 24 grains with this powder. At that charge weight my average velocity was 2,777 fps. Again, the Hornady load manual states that with AA2520, the max velocity would be right at 2800 fps with a charge weight of 24.6 grains. Since my Noveske has a 556 chamber, I used the 556 load data in the tenth edition Hornady load manual. For my rifle, I loaded up to 24.3 grains and found the load to be too hot. I only fired off 3 rounds #1 at 2,841 fps, #2 @ 2,816, and #3 @ 2,822 fps. This is not an "overgassed" issue, this is a too hot of a load issue, which is also stated in the latest Hornady load manual... Their test barrel must be very similar to mine, a 20" 1 in 8 vs. theirs which is a 20" 1 in 7 twist.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I say bullscheit yondering. You are wrong buddy. Look at book max speeds. I'm over that with the loads that I said were too hot. I'm not new to the reloading game buddy. If you sit back a bit and watch, you may learn something..

To everyone else interested, the AA2520 powder is working well enough as far as getting higher velocities than AR Comp with the 75gr Hornady BTHP match bullet. The Hornady load manual also verify's that. In my notes on one of the targets, I list Hornady's max velocity and max load from their service rifle load data. I could see and feel pressure signs with these loads when they were over book max velocity with AR Comp. 2600 fps is all I'd want to push my rifle with this powder, based on feedback from said rifle and load... I also know for a fact that I can push this bullet to well over 2800 fps with AA 2520, but I personally would not load past 24 grains with this powder. At that charge weight my average velocity was 2,777 fps. Again, the Hornady load manual states that with AA2520, the max velocity would be right at 2800 fps with a charge weight of 24.6 grains. Since my Noveske has a 556 chamber, I used the 556 load data in the tenth edition Hornady load manual. For my rifle, I loaded up to 24.3 grains and found the load to be too hot. I only fired off 3 rounds #1 at 2,841 fps, #2 @ 2,816, and #3 @ 2,822 fps. This is not an "overgassed" issue, this is a too hot of a load issue, which is also stated in the latest Hornady load manual... Their test barrel must be very similar to mine, a 20" 1 in 8 vs. theirs which is a 20" 1 in 7 twist.

You forgot to mention that 2520 was bought when bill clinton was still President 😁

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

You forgot to mention that 2520 was bought when bill clinton was still President 😁

Ha ha.. You are probably right.. Its pretty stiff... I mean the powder is... It flings them a little faster than your powder does, doesn't it buddy??? I forgot what you said you are running (FPS wise) your 75's for your accuracy load. How did you do at your shoot too? You want to borrow my Noveske?

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That lot of 2520 you have, is a lot faster than what I have. Shoot isn’t until next week. It’s reduced yardage match so been messing around with a cheap but accurate load for 100yds. Using, yep 55gr fmj. I’m
Using 3031, best I got 1.5 moa I had a couple flyers but 7 of them in group you can cover with a quarter. I hate random flyers is it me? Who knows. So I have a backup using h4895 with the relatively cheap 73gr ELD-M. Anyhow, With my lot of 2520 my accuracy load as 24.0gr with a cci 450 primer. My load is only .3 tenths of grain higher than western powders minimum of 23.7. Also I bought some 69gr smk and tried them with AR comp and got same results as you. You are thinking a lot of bullets to be messing with lol, again was just trying to find a decent 100yd reduced match load. Don’t want to waste my 77tmk or 80.5 Berger’s at 100yds. But that 2520 load with 75 hornady pretty good and i have a pile of them as well.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
That lot of 2520 you have, is a lot faster than what I have. Shoot isn’t until next week. It’s reduced yardage match so been messing around with a cheap but accurate load for 100yds. Using, yep 55gr fmj. I’m
Using 3031, best I got 1.5 moa I had a couple flyers but 7 of them in group you can cover with a quarter. I hate random flyers is it me? Who knows. So I have a backup using h4895 with the relatively cheap 73gr ELD-M. Anyhow, With my lot of 2520 my accuracy load as 24.0gr with a cci 450 primer. My load is only .3 tenths of grain higher than western powders minimum of 23.7. Also I bought some 69gr smk and tried them with AR comp and got same results as you. You are thinking a lot of bullets to be messing with lol, again was just trying to find a decent 100yd reduced match load. Don’t want to waste my 77tmk or 80.5 Berger’s at 100yds. But that 2520 load with 75 hornady pretty good and i have a pile of them as well.

Buddy, i think tyrone is right. Those 69gr sierras are hard to beat. They are very consistent, with minimal flyers. I shot a 1.167moa avg yesterday with the sierras and an avg score of 100-8x.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
79s, for 100 yd reduced course you should try the sierra 52 hollow points.

Last edited by MikeS; 05/24/20.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Buddy, i think tyrone is right. Those 69gr sierras are hard to beat. They are very consistent, with minimal flyers. I shot a 1.167moa avg yesterday with the sierras and an avg score of 100-8x.

I know where more of those 69 smk are. I need to go get them.. I tried the same 68gr hornady and that bullet sucks..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeS

I was looking at that bullet as well. What powder you recommend?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I know where more of those 69 smk are. I need to go get them.. I tried the same 68gr hornady and that bullet sucks..

Don't be too fast to give up on the 68 Hornady:
You may find they shoot more accurately, if you don't push them as hard. For a 100 yard match, you don't have to push them at mach2...

Mike is also right, those 52 grainers are good, if you can get them to shoot good in your rifle. A lot of guys swear by them, but I gave up on them because I got better accuracy from the 53gr Hornady v-max. The hornady bullets are less money too...

I have even tried the 52gr Hornady match bullet, but for some reason the v-max beats it in the accuracy dept as well... J, all you got to do is put them in the x ring (see pic above)...^^^ Quit trying to make it so damn difficult... Ha..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S

Pretty sure I used H335 or 748. It was like 25 years ago.
Didn't do anything but play around with it a little as we always shot full course. I'd check Sierras manual and see what they list as the most accurate load.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Pretty sure I used H335 or 748. It was like 25 years ago.
Didn't do anything but play around with it a little as we always shot full course. I'd check Sierras manual and see what they list as the most accurate load.

In their latest manual they list N133 powder for their accuracy load. I also used a lot of H335 and blc2 back in the day. But now days, id be tempted to try a newer powder like benchmark, TAC, or even CFE223, and of course, AR Comp.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I found some 55 Sierra’s, not 52 smk. I’m going to try ARcomp with them.. I never had much luck with cfe or tac.. I heard good and bad about benchmark. I need to find more Varget, Varget is hands down the most accurate powder I used. Followed by RL15, AR comp is phenomenal with 77tmk. I have also had good luck with H4895..

Last edited by 79S; 05/24/20.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Well I found some 55 Sierra’s, not 52 smk. I might try h4895 with them.. I never had much luck with cfe or tac.. I heard good and bad about benchmark. I need to find more Varget, Varget is hands down the most accurate powder I used. Followed by RL15, AR comp is phenomenal with 77tmk. I have also had good luck with H4895..

All good powders buddy. You just got to find the combo that gives you the most consistent results with your rifle. Your method is probably different than mine, because I use range pickup brass and don't weigh each individual charge. I hate messing with the tiny 223 and 308, so I'll drop powder from my uni-flo and go with it. Loading around 300 rounds per hour. I shoot a lot, so this works out well enough for me and I have no problems getting sub moa loads in all of my AR15's... They have all been entered in the black rifle challenge here to prove it too... Like I said before, the only one that won't consistently shoot sub moa is my Noveske, but I'm going to try to work on changing that. I would like to shoot a 1 moa avg with irons with that rifle, but that could get challenging and I may need to change my lazy process or step it up a bit...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do use LC for the majority of my loading, at one time I weighed it. That was a rabbit hole I should of never went down. I stopped, I was told to look at Remington brass because it was the most consistent and I found it is. So I use R-P with my 80.5 Berger 600yd load. I never entered that load in the moa challenge reason that bullet bullet hard to come by i have a good stash of them and Varget is hard to find as well.. But i have found LC to be consistent, I don’t mess with F-C brass. I have 5- 5 gallon buckets filled with brass.. so if you ever need anymore let know lol

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.