Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Adding to the original inquiry, NHK9 put my +p 45 ACP carry load through a 250lb Tennessee pig, I leaned around a tree and shot a 7pt buck that had locked up behind me on the point of his shoulder at 16 yards, he trotted by me, stood in place and died about 18 yards out, both animals were hit with 185gr Barnes' at 1125 fps.

Of the three choices listed, I'd take the 45 loaded to +P levels.

Trump Won!
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by jwp475
If you were hunting deer and or pigs which would you choose 9mm +P, 40 S&W or 45 ACP +P

Limit your choices to the 3 listed above

Any of them would work but I'd pick the 45 ACP +P because there's more margin for error if your placement isn't exactly right. I've killed plenty of deer with a 44 Magnum loaded to that level, so I know it works.

With the cartridge choice out of the way, we can talk about the load. You might get by with a JHP on deer on broadside shots. For hogs, I'd go with a cast flat-point SWC or LFN no lighter than 230 grains, and 250 would be better. That load will pound a deer so if I could only have one, then that would be it.

With the cartridge and load out of the way, we can talk about the gun. I'd take all of the barrel length I can get: 8 3/8" in a Smith, 7 1/2" in a Ruger, or 14" in a Contender. That's for two reasons. First, more sight radius makes it easier to place shots precisely and that's going to matter with any of these choices. Second, none of these three is a speed demon, so I'll take all of the velocity I can get. If I had to use an auto, either HK USP Elite or Match, or an HK Mark 23.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For pigs I use .44 mag and 10mm; I’ve never taken deer with a handgun.

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For a dedicated meat/carry gun I'd take the 45 with 230-250 grain cast in the widest flat point that would feed reliably.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by SargeMO
For a dedicated meat/carry gun I'd take the 45 with 230-250 grain cast in the widest flat point that would feed reliably.

So would I, although, full disclosure, I've never hunted pigs and my deer killing handgun experience is limited to .41 and .44 magnum revolvers.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Where are those cottonin pickin videos by the most Elite ot the Elitetist of the Illuminated Illuminati? Where are those projectile bullets recovered from those educational videos?
Where be they? I am so nervously nervous over not being privy to seeing them I couldn't poop in a dump truck. after 2 boxes of Exlax chased by 3 bottles of mineral oil.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I believe the only way we could ever get someone more childish on the forum that glockdoofus is if we had more members sign up!

Dick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have killed pigs with everything from a 115gr JHP 9mm to a .45 Colt 270gr Keith. Obviously the .45 Colt is a LOT better than a 9mm, but it just goes to show that shot placement trumps most.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would pick a 147 grain 9mm gold dot, it’s would be just as lethal as a 230 grain 45 gold dot. Then I shoot the 9mm better so my hit would likely be in the front half of the animal.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I’ve seen both dropped with a .22lr

Between the eyes or a side/ear hole.

Deadly.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you were hunting deer and or pigs which would you choose 9mm +P, 40 S&W or 45 ACP +P

Thanks
Of those three definitely the 44 Magnum.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Where are those videos? Where are those bullets? Will more videos be made? Will bullets not be shown? Or will bullets be shown?

These ARE the QUESTIONS.
How about it Illuminated Ones?
Show the Illumination of the Illuminated.

HE MENTORS ME.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Thanks
Of those three definitely the 44 Magnum.

laugh, in that case, i'll take my hand loaded 45 Colt loads ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never killed a deer or pig with any of those cartridges. I have only shot the .40 SW a few times personally and I’ve never killed a pig, ever. But I have seriously entertained the thought of shooting a deer with my LB 45 using +P. And when I do it’ll probably get shot in the shoulder with a 200 XTP. A hard LWFN makes sense too I think.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader
I have never killed a deer or pig with any of those cartridges. I have only shot the .40 SW a few times personally and I’ve never killed a pig, ever. But I have seriously entertained the thought of shooting a deer with my LB 45 using +P. And when I do it’ll probably get shot in the shoulder with a 200 XTP. A hard LWFN makes sense too I think.

I'm no handgun hunter either, but can tell you that a 45 cal 200gr XTP at a +P 1050 fps with Longshot powder from my bobtail Commander penetrates like crazy in homemade cardboard, wet mag/newsprint and cow bone test media, i'd bust ANY deer or pig in the shoulders with that bullet inside of 25-30 yards.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose that if a guy would to limit themselves to bow hunting ranges that any of those could work, but the question is why would you want to? There isn't anything that I can do with a handgun that I can't do better with a rifle. I figure that I owe it to the animal that I'm hunting to be equipped with the most humane legal firearm cartridge combination that I can carry. The sighting radius on a handgun is minimal so the likelihood or a poorly placed shot with a marginal cartridge is a real possibility. Not very many animals have gotten away over a lifetime of hunting, but for me the ones that have left a bitter memory.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Years ago I took my nephew quail hunting on my acreage. He was 14 and had been shooting my 20 gauge at clay pigeons to some proficiency. Quail season opener and we took my brittanys for a hunt. I carried the shotgun until dogs pointed and passed it to my nephew and moved out of his way. Just as he got the shotgun one of the dogs started to bark. Turning immediately I saw a large hog stand up in the knee high grass and start after one of my dogs. I don't remember pulling the Beretta 92 out of the holster on my hip but I distinctly remember the words of a mentor who hunted Africa often saying ," You stop a charging animal with a head shot." came to me like he was there saying them. When the front sight caught up to the head I fired and down the hog went. It was a sow and looking around we found a "nest" with three piglets. She had tusks and I'm sure things would have gotten ugly if all we had was a 20 gauge with bird shot. I thank God for how things turned out that day. I gave the piglets to my neighbor who helped me load the sow that weighed 275 at the processing plant. He raised them for bacon. Glad I had the Beretta and the FMJ bullet found it's mark just below the sows ear. On the way home my nephew was pretty quiet until....."Sure glad you were on the ROTC pistol team in college". We both had a good laugh. Since that day I always carry a pistol on the farm and have dispatched many critters but not another pig. I guess the point being you may not have the perfect weapon for the scenario that you are confronting but what you do have might save the day.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
.40S&W works and works well. That said a properly loaded .45acp is potentially more capable with heavy Hardcast loads.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
45 ACP +P.

Because they dont make a 46 ACP 😎

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Whurs them danged videos? Whurs that bullet. Was there anything left to process after using that 9MM Miraculose Farce on him?
I want videos and bullets. Whurs are dem?

HE MENTORS ME.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.