-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ain’t been to a boat ramp in thirty years....

Fug sharing lakes with others.

I just buy talapia for my fish frys.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Unlike many here, I prefer to leave my house every once in a while. Unfortunately, that sometimes means dealing with dipshitts at the boat launch.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by htredneck
One of my mom's sisters was married to a real dick for a while. In the late 70s, he came home from a bad day fishing on a river and proceeded to try and take it out on my aunt and cousins. Oldest cousin was 15 or 16 at the time, and is one of those girls that redefines the term tomboy. Jack-wad took a swing at her mom and missed... cousin swung a fireplace poker at him that didn't. Then she grabbed him by collar, drug his ass outside and worked on him some more with the poker and then switched to one of her little brother's baseball bats. Dick-weed spent a couple weeks in the hospital recovering and is now one of the meekest men you will ever meet. Won't raise his voice, disagree with anything or even look cross-wise at someone.

Stepdad or real dad?

Salty gal, either way. God bless her.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You guys are really missing out by not going to the boat ramp, it's more entertaining than any show on tv. You won't believe how many people can't back up a trailer ,remember to put the plug in a boat or remember to put their vehicle into park and set the emergency brake before getting out of the vehicle. I've seen guys take off all the straps off their boat and try to back down the ramp and the boat would roll right off the trailer onto the ramp. Sometimes when I get a dock for the weekend, I'll pick one where I can watch the ramp.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sad. Doesn't take much to bring out true colors. Once in a while though, a really good kid surfaces from those messes but sometimes they can go too far the other way. Friend of a friend joined us one day on a trout outing. The guy had gotten regular beatings as a child, and he and his wife went to the other extreme with their youngster. Kid raised holy hell all day and never got so much as a cross look. I was really heart broken (not) when they announced they'd not be able to camp with us for the night.

The next 4 hours of conversation was focused solely on that kid and how we could likely straighten him out with just a brief trip to the wood shed.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by akasparky
Odd how some women seek out men like that, they wouldn't be happy without them.

Never have figured that out. Known a lot of 'em like that.

Happy life on FB.... plenty of pics. Smiles.

She’ll put up with it long as he pays the car note, takes her on vacay..... worth it she thinks.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like it would be easier to teach folks how to operate the boat instead of the truck and trailer

Yes. See that quite often. Fat guy sits in the boat while some tiny gal tries to maneuver a long bed crew cab and 20 ft trailer through a maze and down the ramp.

Worst one I went to help with was a huge Winnebago and small boat trailer. This was before cameras. I got in the driver's seat and one could not see any portion of the trailer in the mirrors on either side. If one could see a back corner, he'd already lost it.

1Minute
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by htredneck
One of my mom's sisters was married to a real dick for a while. In the late 70s, he came home from a bad day fishing on a river and proceeded to try and take it out on my aunt and cousins. Oldest cousin was 15 or 16 at the time, and is one of those girls that redefines the term tomboy. Jack-wad took a swing at her mom and missed... cousin swung a fireplace poker at him that didn't. Then she grabbed him by collar, drug his ass outside and worked on him some more with the poker and then switched to one of her little brother's baseball bats. Dick-weed spent a couple weeks in the hospital recovering and is now one of the meekest men you will ever meet. Won't raise his voice, disagree with anything or even look cross-wise at someone.

Stepdad or real dad?

Salty gal, either way. God bless her.

Real dad...
After he got out of the hospital, he never went home. Still live in the same small town, but they have been divorced ever since.

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 1minute
[quote]Worst one I went to help with was a huge Winnebago and small boat trailer.

I put a hitch receiver tube under the front bumper of a Class A motorhome- - - - - -got dozens of double takes as I pushed the boat trailer through lakeside campgrounds on the way to the boat launch ramp!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Son and I limited out on the stripers again today. Fun and good eats.

Coming in to our spot this morning there was a wrecked boat on the river bank partially submerged. Big fiberglass double-decker. Old piece of junk. It wasn't there when we left yesterday about noon. Only thing we could figure is the boater slammed into that big snag downstream ripping out the hull. Sheriff boat patrol came by to check it out and they idled by to chat for a minute. Said there is no registered owner probably just "another river rat". Asked him how they were going to get it out of there he just shrugged, "I don't know".

Whoever abandoned that boat better have had a cell phone and a friend because it's a long walk to town from there.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Most of the people I see at the boat ramp are at least trying to get their stuff done and move along, Sure sometimes things don't go as planned, but I don't hold it against them as long as they are at least trying and not being stupid. One example a couple of weeks ago was a couple that were in an older boat, a pretty big like 24' center console. When we came by the ramp for a bathroom break around lunch time, the wife was swimming the boat back to the courtesy dock as their motor had died. I offered to help, but they were almost there and declined our offer. When we came back almost three hours later to pull out they were still there, but now had backed their trailer down the ramp and were trying to get the boat loaded with no motor, and another little john boat trying to act as a tug. It is only a two lane ramp and of course they blocked one side for a good amount of time, but not really their fault so I just floated around and listened to some music while my wife waited in line with the truck. No big deal, we just waited our turn. I like my fishing and boating to be fun and relaxing, and if that means I have to wait from someone to get their s#!t together, I try to not let it bother me. At the same time, my wife and I have our system down and can have the boat launched or retrieved in a matter of a couple of minutes. I'm lucky that she has some good trailer backing skills and we can communicate without the level of anger that some couples seem to hold.

Last edited by shortfinger; 05/26/20.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Wifey operates the boat, I operate the truck. She does very well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Man and woman shold never do two things together-

1) paddle a canoe

2) back up a trailer (or hook up the pickup to a trailer)

3) NEVER EVER EVER EVER REMODEL OR BUILD A house

[quote=akasparky]I use to run with a guy that was the craziest mf'er on earth when it came to launching a boat at a public ramp.
He was a Vietnam vet that was totally fu_ckup from Agent Orange, he use to be on a crew that landed their helicopters in freshly defoliated jungles and do body counts of how many gook's they'd managed to gun down.

He was the biggest hothead with the shortest fuse of any man I have ever been around.

He had a pretty nice 24 ft'er we fished out of often, at the ramps, you just had to drift away and pretend you weren't with him.

We're putting in one day and there was a man and wife team struggling to get their s_hit together and get off the dock.
My friend is white knucklin' it, veins poppin' out in his neck as he heated up waiting to back the boat in.

He finally pop's his door open and storms down to the dock screaming, this guy meets him head on tellin' him to fu_ck off and my bud takes a swing at him, the dude ducks and his wife takes the hit right up the side of the head and falls off the dock into the water...We dumped the boat in right beside the guy as he retrieved his wife and tended her wounds.

A couple weeks after that episode we were pullin' his boat out at a ramp, it was a heavy beast, if I recall right it was a Searay.
The boats about 2/3's the way on the trailer when the power wench quit working. He jumps in the truck floors it, get's up on the flat and locks up the brakes. The boat come rippin' at us, blew both sides walls over on the bed of the truck, broke the rear window out and creased the roof of the cab....The power wench and stanchion it was mounted on just folded over.

I took a cab home as he waited out a wrecker service.

I changed that MF'ers life forever when I introduced him to thc, he was the chillest guy you'd ever meet forever more.

When I get to a boat ramp I just sit back and enjoy the show and wait until the mayhem clears to take my turn.....

[/quote}

My little brother had to spend a bunch of weekends in jail for nearly beating to death a guy that tried to sucker punch him and hit his girlfriend square in the mouth. My brother out of instinct ducked and the guy hit her right in the teeth. Brother beat him 3/4's to death before the cops arrived and pulled him off.

Last edited by k20350; 05/26/20.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A co-worker married a divorcee with a couple kids. She'd been an abused wife like that. They were living in a rental house. She called him at work and said the furnace had gone out. When he got home, he looked at it and determined that he needed to have the landlord call a repairman. In the meantime, his wife was cowering in the kitchen. He finally got it out of her that she feared the beating that was coming. Her ex would beat her when anything broke, no matter who's fault it was, if anyone's. She thought it was normal and that he was going to hit her.

I went out with a gal like that, after I got divorced back in 1987...

My G/F would cross the same situation that she'd been in before with the ex, who was physically abusive to her...
More than one, if in the kitchen, she would quickly reach in a drawer and pull out a butcher knife...with fear in her eyes...

I'd calmly ask her what she was doing? She'd look at it and then her face would turn in a look of terror, and she would drop the knife like it was on fire.. almost anything she would immediate defensive stance at the drop of a hat....

Her ex dropped off her 2 year old daughter one Sunday evening.. and I have no idea why, but the next second he was just going after her....I intercepted him.. he hit me once... I did nothing, so he hit me again....I was 5 inches taller than the guy and outweighed him by a good 50 to 60 lbs... he was 140 and I was 200 lbs...I grabbed his shirt and hit him in the face 3 times and then just let him drop... he never got rid of her ever again....

Too many times those types have no problem beating on a woman.. but when they suddenly get hurt in the process they crumble like a wet soda cracker...I don't get it...

but then, my G/F later admitted to being sexually abused as a kid by her step dad... and later after her divorce was final, her ex sister in laws, came to her one at a time individually, without the knowledge of the other two sisters doing the same.. her husband's Dad, had evidently raped each of his daughter regularly after they hit 12 or 13... the dad had told them if they told anyone, he'd kill them...

you get people like that, its a generational dysfunction.. which is pretty damned sad...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When my wife and I were first married, we had a plugged sewer line. Not having the funds for a plumber, we tackled the problem ourselves. Finding the cleanout, and armed with a garden hose with an attachment designed for this task we went to work. She manned the spigot, and I got the business end of the bargain. Just before she turned on the water I held her gently by the shoulders, looked her in the eyes and told her "If you hear me yell, don't say 'What?', just turn the water off. And remember, no matter what happens...I will still love you."

Years later, whenever we have a project or unpleasant task, we start it off with...no matter what happens.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by akasparky
Originally Posted by Morewood
Grandson caught his first legal striper.

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Sweet little stripper for the grandkid.

He needs to work on technique though

I think Stripers and Strippers are two different species.....

Just checked to be sure. My iPad doesn’t know about the fish apparently. Maybe Siri has spent too much time on the pole....

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Man and wife aren’t meant to do projects together. I built a house with mine, remodeled it some together. She is an Aggie Engineer, knows everything about anything mechanical (so she thinks). It was a ton of fun, we formed it, put dirt, plumbing, electrical, steel in it. Dug grade beams, guy I went to high school with poured it. We framed it, did everything but insulate and hang Sheetrock. Had a bricklayer do the brick. That was the longest two years of my life. Biggest fight we ever had was laying wood flooring out.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The sins of the father shouldn't carry down to the wife and especially not the child. I would leave him in a NY minute but I couldn't leave behind the mother and child.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
But if you tossed HIS ass overboard and into the lake after getting mother and child on your boat, SHE would probably jump on your back and slit your throat with your own filet knife.

Often the sins of the father are enabled and fully supported by the mother. Ask any cop who has to respond to domestic disturbance calls.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
My wife can back a trailer like a pro. She was nervous as hell the first year or two of someone might make fun of her. After she got over that, it was no big deal. I pull up to the ramp and drop her off and pull back into the water until she brings the trailer.

Took a good friend crappie fishing one day. He kept throwing in the middle of the lake and way off the docks. I tried to coach him but he wasn’t altering his technique any. I caught my limit and he had yet to catch a single fish. I finally told him if he didn’t fish behind the cables or skip under the docks he wasn’t going to catch much as we were probably the 4th or 5th boat to fish this bank already. He finally told me he would get yelled at as a kid if he ever got hung up or lost a lure. I reached down and grad a handful of jigs and threw them in the water. Told him to get over that [bleep] and start fishing. I told him I make my own jigs and there’s probably a 1000 in the boat. He got better but you could still tell he had some severe anxiety anytime he thought he was going to get hung up.

Good on you.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 26 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.