Home
I pull up to the tie-down removal area and can hear someone yelling down at the dock. Check my plug, unhook my straps, and back down the ramp. I get out and he's yelling at his wife who's trying to back the truck. They finally get the boat off the trailer (left a strap on the transom) then he's yelling at his kid about banging the POS off the dock (1960's or 1970's fiberglass). Then he starts yelling at him about tying the wrong knot to the dock while the dipshitt is sitting in the POS cranking the two-smoke. I unhook, tie off, and pull up to the parking lot about the same time his wife parks. One look at her and she looks like a whipped pup, easy to tell this is her life and she probably gets a daily beating.

I head back down to the dock, climb in my boat, put on my PFD, prime the bulb, and two pulls of the rope and my trolling motor is purring. While the motor is warming up and I'm getting everything situated before I shove off, dipshitt is yelling at his wife about walking too slow and hollering at the kid about leaving a life jacket in the truck. I trolled away from the dock and maybe 10-minutes later I see them fly by and they're out of sight. I keep trolling and maybe 30-minutes later I come across them broke down in the middle of the lake. @$$hole is screaming at the wife and kid and throwing [bleep] around the boat. He sees me and starts hollering asking if I can give them a tow back to the dock. I acted like I never even saw them and puttered right on past.

I would have offered to take the wife and kid back to the ramp- - - - -let Mr. Badmouth find his own way back!
Jerry
Probably the same at home.

He’s gonna wake up dead some day, if she gets the notion.

What lake, and how was the fishing?

P
Cooper Creek, fishing was slow. I was hoping they planted it for the holiday weekend, but no such luck. Still not much crappie and bluegill action but should start picking up.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

You get out for halibut?
Really sad that the wife and kid have to put up with that. I'm sure the home life is just as bad.

About 25 years ago, we didn't have any kids yet, and my wife and I were fishing when this guy and his two boys, about ages 5 and 7 started fishing a 100 yards away. He was berating them the whole time. Cussing at them for messing up their poles, getting snagged, etc... I felt dang sorry for those two boys because fishing and kids should be fun times. They probably lived with it everyday.
I saw a guy like that at a public shooting range one day,...pretty woman about 40ish,...mean ass husband about the same age. For whatever reason he barked at her every time he said anything. She just sat quietly. My brother and I were at the next station cutting up like we usually do when we get together and she was occasionally smiling and laughing at our antics while her husband was involved with shooting. She seemed like a good woman. He was obviously an intolerable azzhole.

He was also a dumbass. At one point I was shooting an old Colt New Police made in 1905 and he asked, "Is that a .22?"
The gal needs to get the heaviest skillet she's got.....hide behind the doorway and reconfigure that as sholes nose and mouth construction when he walks through!!
Think I encountered the same family bouldering at a state park in Illinois.

Sombitch was yelling at his family while he was about to fall on his ass from 10-15 ft off the ground. He looked and whined like Frank Burns.

He kept yelling “SILENCE” at them and some other people doing their own thing on another rock. We walked through there and I heard it about 5 times.

Holiday weekends

too many fuggin idiots out there

every where
Those kind fall with an especially satisfying thump.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I would have offered to take the wife and kid back to the ramp- - - - -let Mr. Badmouth find his own way back!
Jerry

This
I remember years ago talking to a guy I knew from school. He was a few years younger than me. He told me his Dad was an A__hole. My thoughts at the time was, "I thought so but he knew." I really feel sorry for kids that have parents like that.
I figured the turkey-shît green AMC Eagle urban commando assault vehicle was theirs when we made it back to the gravel lot.

My bud wrote f UCK you azzhole with his finger in the dust on his back window. Nice little treat for the welcome back. 😃
Damn, GW.

You cold as ice.
That sounds like my life growing up. Mom had ulcers from Stepfather bitching relentlessly. She was dead at 37 when I was 16. When we got home from funeral, he told my brother and me, “ Well, you two finally killed your mother”. It took me years to realize it wasn’t us.
Guy needed a serious ass whipping!
Originally Posted by hanco
That sounds like my life growing up. Mom had ulcers from Stepfather bitching relentlessly. She was dead at 37 when I was 16. When we got home from funeral, he told my brother and me, “ Well, you two finally killed your mother”. It took me years to realize it wasn’t us.

Jesus.

That's awful.
Originally Posted by deflave

Jesus.

That's awful.

My thoughts exactly.
You know how sound carries across water? Adult son and I are in a boat fishing when a man in another boat a 150 yards away started yelling at his young son for accidentally dropping and losing his fishing pole over the side. The man wouldn't let up on the kid, yelling "WAY TO RUIN THE WHOLE DAY!" over and over. Poor kid felt bad enough, didn't need that beat down. I finally spoke up in a loud voice shut up you fuggin ahole.

Now it has become an inside family joke. Somebody burns the bacon, "Way to ruin the whole day". Somebody spills a drink, "Way to ruin the whole day."
Originally Posted by Morewood
You know how sound carries across water? Adult son and I are in a boat fishing when a man in another boat a 150 yards away started yelling at his young son for accidentally dropping and losing his fishing pole over the side. The man wouldn't let up on the kid, yelling "WAY TO RUIN THE WHOLE DAY!" over and over. Poor kid felt bad enough, didn't need that beat down. I finally spoke up in a loud voice shut up you fuggin ahole.

Now it has become an inside family joke. Somebody burns the bacon, "Way to ruin the whole day". Somebody spills a drink, "Way to ruin the whole day."

That's funny.

For us. Not the kid.
Originally Posted by deflave
Damn, GW.

You cold as ice.

Nah, just smart enough not to interject myself into a no-win situation when I can avoid it.
Some people are just miserable sonsabitches and blame it on everybody else.

Maybe he was just having a miserable day.

Either way, sucks for the kid.
all too often, that becomes normal behaviour for a kid, after growing up with it...

and they turn out to be the exact same way when they grow into adulthood..

kinda sounds like you met Big Schtick or one of his relatives...

he's originally from Coos Bay...
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

My thoughts too.
Yeah, we saw a bit of asswholery at the little remote dock we were at today. I was out with my son, a buddy, and three grandkids on a small, shallow mountain reservoir.

It started hailing, sleeting, raining, and blowing all at once, so we made a run for the dock. There is just one ramp 20 feet wide with a single dock. And some arrogant prick has parked his truck and twenty something foot pontoon barge right alongside the dock, on the trailer and is fiddle fugging with rigging the entire boat. He is there for about thirty minutes. Plus there is a little 14 foot skiff tied right across the end of the dock.

Now we are actually pretty comfortable in the jet boat. The soft top is up and we have the cabin heater running on high.

But what is pissing me off is a young man in a little bitty rowboat with a three horse Evinrude from about 1959 is waiting to get to the dock. He has a 7 year old girl and 9 year old boy in the boat with him braving the storm. I know because I visited with them earlier as they stood on the dock holding the boat while Daddy parked the pickup and trailer after launching.

I pulled out of the cue and circled around behind the young family. But the pricks on the barge were not making room for anyone. I thought about pulling up beside the little boat and asking if I could take the kids onboard, but conditions were just a bit shy of needing to bother them in that manner. I hate to embarrass a proud father just trying to get in some family time.

As it turned out, I was able to nose the jet boat up against a sandy beach and my son jumped ashore and backed his pickup down beside the barge. I put my boat on the trailer while that Daddy was still trying to get a spot to park his boat so he could go get his pickup and trailer.

We had our boat off the ramp, out of the way, tied down, secured , and headed down the road and the barge was still hogging the loadout area.

Dang, hanco!

Good on you for overcoming that!

That sucks Hanco.
Originally Posted by Seafire
all too often, that becomes normal behaviour for a kid, after growing up with it...

and they turn out to be the exact same way when they grow into adulthood..

kinda sounds like you met Big Schtick or one of his relatives...

he's originally from Coos Bay...

All too often. I was lucky. Grandfather born in 1885 was chased out of the house at knifepoint along with mother and other kids in middle of winter. She had to put them in an orphanage.
She got them out. He got a 3rd grade education and started working in a restaurant.
But NO ONE yelled at kids for no reason when he was around. Not his kids or grand kids or anybody else’s. Spanked.....sure. But it was punishment......not humiliation.
Named my daughter after him. Nicest man I ever knew.

Another buddy beat his father senseless at 16 and then threw water on him and said “you ever hit Mom again I’ll come back”.
Left the house and went to work for Dan Gurney.
A Badazz if need be........but a great guy around kids.

My $.02
Glad I read the whole thing first. I was sure it would be about the a-holes in my region that need an audience to see them on their new PWC, or to watch them now that they've learned to slalom ski. My buddy learned me how to deal with that when we first started fishing together. You keep a heavy bait casting rod spooled up with 20-30 pound line, and about a 2 ounce diamond jig or a slab to where either one of you can get to it. It's surprisingly easy to hit a sea doo, or snag a tow rope with a rod rigged thusly. A game warden will cite them for getting too close under the harrassment laws.
Yeah it is sad to know of some half cocked yoyo that can't make a day without venting on their family. Unfortunately, I just found out that one of my long dead relatives was just such a person. Never even knew or heard of it
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

P

You get out for halibut?

Maybe next weekend, but it’s momma’s birthday, so...

P
On predator hunts we would be down by the Colorado River in the summer months during the day Blyth maybe Needles when it got way to hot to call. For entertainment we would park by the boat launch to watch husbands wives, boyfriends girlfriends at each others throats trying to get their boats into the water comical, good fun..
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
On predator hunts we would be down by the Colorado River in the summer months during the day Blyth maybe Needles when it got way to hot to call. For entertainment we would park by the boat launch to watch husbands wives, boyfriends girlfriends at each others throats trying to get their boats into the water comical, good fun..

First big weekend at Lake Petrie in CA is great too.
Attempted Cuban launches..........
Throw me the keys......no float.
Can’t back worth a dam
Sit with a buddy and a cold case and make side bets.........
Odd how some women seek out men like that, they wouldn't be happy without them.
Originally Posted by akasparky

Never have figured that out. Known a lot of 'em like that.
When I came back in there was some dipshitt taking up one entire side of the ramp unboxing a Wal-Mart Minn Kota and installing it on his boat. Couldn't have done it at home or at least in the parking lot.
Originally Posted by Ranger99

Looked for a strong man, got an azzhole, afraid to leave...
Originally Posted by DBT

Looked for a strong man, got an azzhole, afraid to leave...

The ones I've encountered in life just seem to dump one to go find another just like the last.

It's either they are into the abuse or they strive for the attention they get when they cry to others about how abusive their husband is...It may be a combination of both but what ever it is they just can't live without it...

Ask a cop, these type's burn up a good part of a LEO's shift running to the same house time and time again night after night because they are arguing and fighting.

They can leave, the old "I'm trapped" fallacy is BS.
They will try and convince you of that when they are seeking pity and attention.
There are mountains of resources designed and at ones disposal just for that possibility.

It's a lifestyle that is desired, searched out and willfully chosen.

Men do the same that enjoy a abusive spouse, my father was one that did that...
He married a high strung abusive bitch, funny part of it, she was a clone of his mother....
That guy's wife should do what Willie Nelson's wife reportedly did, waited till he came home drunk one night and sewed him up in the sheets, took a Louisville slugger and gave him a thorough working over.
It sounds like the OP has some issues.
I pull up to the tie-down removal area and can hear someone yelling down at the dock. Check my plug, unhook my straps, and back down the ramp. I get out and he's yelling at his wife who's trying to back the truck. They finally get the boat off the trailer (left a strap on the transom) then he's yelling at his kid about banging the POS off the dock (1960's or 1970's fiberglass). Then he starts yelling at him about tying the wrong knot to the dock while the dipshitt is sitting in the POS cranking the two-smoke.

When I came back in there was some dipshitt taking up one entire side of the ramp unboxing a Wal-Mart Minn Kota and installing it on his boat. Couldn't have done it at home or at least in the parking lot.

Originally Posted by MM879

Obviously he is not too comfortable if he doesn't have full control of everyone in his surrounding area.
Man and woman shold never do two things together-

1) paddle a canoe

2) back up a trailer (or hook up the pickup to a trailer)
Building a new home rates high in this country for causes of divorce...

I don’t go to the lakes here on Weekends - Forget Memorial Day Weekend OMG !!

The Boat Ramps are a cluster of a mess... and fishing on lakes in the Midwest where mud bottoms make them fish small ... NOPE..

A co-worker married a divorcee with a couple kids. She'd been an abused wife like that. They were living in a rental house. She called him at work and said the furnace had gone out. When he got home, he looked at it and determined that he needed to have the landlord call a repairman. In the meantime, his wife was cowering in the kitchen. He finally got it out of her that she feared the beating that was coming. Her ex would beat her when anything broke, no matter who's fault it was, if anyone's. She thought it was normal and that he was going to hit her.
*Someone* deserves a beating here at this house.

The kitchen sink is clogged way down the line, up under the house.

10 spot says its grease and fuggin carrot peelings....again

What’d you do for Memorial Day.....crawled under the house and snaked out some plumbing...
Originally Posted by Fireball2

1) paddle a canoe

Around here I'd add working cows to that list.
I would like to report a pleasant experience at the boat launch.
I know, it seems farfetched, but this one time it was true.

Small, high mountain lake that just opened in time for Memorial Day.
Mobil dock was still out of water and left in the middle of the turn around wide spot, making it about half as wide.
It was tight launching my 14 ft with a Toyota.

I go to pull out about 10:30 am, just when the parade of weekend warriors shows up.
Guy in front of me is launching a 20 ft big wide boat with an F 250 double cab.
I decide this is going to be a disaster, so I settle in to wait.

Old dude has to make a 10 point turn to get flipped around, and his “crew” are no help, So I jump in and help direct traffic.
Once he makes the 180%, he still has to back in around a 45% corner to launch .
Bingo, he does it like an old truck driver, his boat is floating in 60 seconds.
Amazing
Just got home from a local restaurant, waterfront deck was jammin' just like in the pre-pandemic days..

This is a video fresh from Lake of the Ozarks Memorial day party and others....

I had a great aunt (I think) who shot her husband in the foot when he came home drunk and abusive. Same woman opened the back door and let his drunk abusive ass go stumbling through when he came running at her. There was no porch only steps up the side of the house to the back door, the house was built on a steep hill so it was around a 15 - 20 foot drop from the small stoop.

Mom use to tell several stories about them fighting whenever he would tie one on. Those two were her favorites. He didn't drink all that often and I reckon by all accounts he was a pretty good guy and she was a pretty good woman till he tied one on. Mom said he quit drinking all together after they were together around ten years or so.
Man and woman should never do two things together-

1) paddle a canoe

My wife is an ace at backing trailers. She dealt with our two horse trailer for years taking the kids to 4H practice on weekday evenings, while I was working swing shift. If a person can back a horse trailer with the axles about eight feet from the ball hitch, he/she can back anything.

The boat ramp, with the trailer axle set 16 to 18 feet back from the bumper....a piece of cake. I cannot count the number of times I have sat in the boat, while she backed it into the water or retrieved the trailer so I could load the boat.

P

You get out for halibut?

😉
Yes, we had a pleasant day at the lake again today. This time my daughter, her husband and their three kids.

It is a small irrigation reservoir, maybe a couple miles long. Used to be a nationally recognized crappie fishery. Usually, now lots of bass. We never found a spot in the lake over twenty feet deep. Most of it nine to ten feet.

The lake had a couple dozen boats out. And the ramps were in steady use. We got close and got our boat ready, but the kids needed to use the outhouse before we launched. (No dock, so it's easier to load the kids, daughter, and fat old man, while the boat is still on the trailer.)

Anyway, one guy comes up and is ready to load his boat, and another is waiting to launch, so we pulled up out of the way and gave them the ramp until the kids were ready.

My SIL learned how easy it actually is to back a trailer for a 19 foot boat when the axles are set clear to the back under the inboard engine.

We got skunked on the lake, and gave up after about four hours. Don't know what we were doing wrong as several other boats reported hooking up on a couple dozen bass or better. Guess we just don't know what a bass really desires. grin

Loadout went just as smoothly. I nosed the boat up to the gravel shore. The SIL jumped off the bow, backed the trailer down the ramp while I went and made some waves and then bounced the boat across them just to make my 36 year old daughter squirm. She hollered, and threatened to tell on me to her Momma. But she was grinning.

I saw the trailer hit the water, drove the boat up on it, SIL hooked the strap to the bow eye. And we were gone. Probably on the ramp for eight minutes.

Any day on the water with the kids beats just about anything else possible.
Nice morning on the river today. No issue at the boat launch, smooth as silk. This isn't our first rodeo. Once anchored just above our honey-hole we limited out in about 3 hours. Grandson caught his first legal striper. He's hooked on fishing now.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice morning on the river today. No issue at the boat launch, smooth as silk. This isn't our first rodeo. Once anchored just above our honey-hole we limited out in about 3 hours. Grandson caught his first legal striper. He's hooked on fishing now.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Great pic!!!
Sweet little stripper for the grandkid.

He needs to work on technique though - arm straight with fish way out in front of him wink
I was pleased to hear he's getting a haircut tomorrow.

I hear ya, Scott, but you don't want to make it too obvious ya know.
Grandson caught his first legal striper.

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

He needs to work on technique though

I think Stripers and Strippers are two different species.....
I pull up to the tie-down removal area and can hear someone yelling down at the dock. Check my plug, unhook my straps, and back down the ramp. I get out and he's yelling at his wife who's trying to back the truck. They finally get the boat off the trailer (left a strap on the transom) then he's yelling at his kid about banging the POS off the dock (1960's or 1970's fiberglass). Then he starts yelling at him about tying the wrong knot to the dock while the dipshitt is sitting in the POS cranking the two-smoke.

Originally Posted by MM879

Obviously he is not too comfortable if he doesn't have full control of everyone in his surrounding area.

I'm a pretty laid back guy but I believe if I saw a person installing a trolling motor while occupying the ramp, I would have to say something.
Don't make any difference if there is a open lane and no body is waiting...

I could fill pages with the insane crap I've run into at boat ramps.

Just a week ago it was three boats taking up one complete lane and dock with a beer party the next lane over was blocked by the guy that has to block the ramp with his boat while he goes three blocks away to fetch his truck. A family fishing from one dock, bait buckets in the water and all had one dock and lane occupied. But it was a four lane boat launch so I squeezed right it there and managed....So goes life....
I use to run with a guy that was the craziest mf'er on earth when it came to launching a boat at a public ramp.
He was a Vietnam vet that was totally fu_ckup from Agent Orange, he use to be on a crew that landed their helicopters in freshly defoliated jungles and do body counts of how many gook's they'd managed to gun down.

He was the biggest hothead with the shortest fuse of any man I have ever been around.

He had a pretty nice 24 ft'er we fished out of often, at the ramps, you just had to drift away and pretend you weren't with him.

We're putting in one day and there was a man and wife team struggling to get their s_hit together and get off the dock.
My friend is white knucklin' it, veins poppin' out in his neck as he heated up waiting to back the boat in.

He finally pop's his door open and storms down to the dock screaming, this guy meets him head on tellin' him to fu_ck off and my bud takes a swing at him, the dude ducks and his wife takes the hit right up the side of the head and falls off the dock into the water...We dumped the boat in right beside the guy as he retrieved his wife and tended her wounds.

A couple weeks after that episode we were pullin' his boat out at a ramp, it was a heavy beast, if I recall right it was a Searay.
The boats about 2/3's the way on the trailer when the power wench quit working. He jumps in the truck floors it, get's up on the flat and locks up the brakes. The boat come rippin' at us, blew both sides walls over on the bed of the truck, broke the rear window out and creased the roof of the cab....The power wench and stanchion it was mounted on just folded over.

I took a cab home as he waited out a wrecker service.

I changed that MF'ers life forever when I introduced him to thc, he was the chillest guy you'd ever meet forever more.

When I get to a boat ramp I just sit back and enjoy the show and wait until the mayhem clears to take my turn.....
idiots on the lake is why I don't fish public lakes anymore. I think I killed about one a year when I fished bass tournaments.

We're putting in one day and there was a man and wife team struggling to get their s_hit together and get off the dock.
My friend is white knucklin' it, veins poppin' out in his neck as he heated up waiting to back the boat in.

He finally pop's his door open and storms down to the dock screaming, this guy meets him head on tellin' him to fu_ck off and my bud takes a swing at him, the dude ducks and his wife takes the hit right up the side of the head and falls off the dock into the water...We dumped the boat in right beside the guy as he retrieved his wife and tended her wounds.

Your "bud" should have been jailed for that. Vet or not.

So are wenches and winches...
I use to run with a guy that was the craziest mf'er on earth when it came to launching a boat at a public ramp.
He was a Vietnam vet that was totally fu_ckup from Agent Orange, he use to be on a crew that landed their helicopters in freshly defoliated jungles and do body counts of how many gook's they'd managed to gun down.

He was the biggest hothead with the shortest fuse of any man I have ever been around.

He had a pretty nice 24 ft'er we fished out of often, at the ramps, you just had to drift away and pretend you weren't with him.

A couple weeks after that episode we were pullin' his boat out at a ramp, it was a heavy beast, if I recall right it was a Searay.
The boats about 2/3's the way on the trailer when the power wench quit working. He jumps in the truck floors it, get's up on the flat and locks up the brakes. The boat come rippin' at us, blew both sides walls over on the bed of the truck, broke the rear window out and creased the roof of the cab....The power wench and stanchion it was mounted on just folded over.

I changed that MF'ers life forever when I introduced him to thc, he was the chillest guy you'd ever meet forever more.

When I get to a boat ramp I just sit back and enjoy the show and wait until the mayhem clears to take my turn.....

go to lake Powell when its busy.....people back down to the water....then start loading the boat......people pull out of the water...then start drying it off...….even though there are areas to do all of that...

the guy that hit the woman needs a bat taken to both legs...….why anyone would hang around a [bleep] like that is beyond me.....bob
There are some crazy stuff that goes on at the boat ramps... that is for sure... the local one here yesterday, someone dropped their nice ski boat off the trailer onto the ramp (not sure how).... crazy
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A co-worker married a divorcee with a couple kids. She'd been an abused wife like that. They were living in a rental house. She called him at work and said the furnace had gone out. When he got home, he looked at it and determined that he needed to have the landlord call a repairman. In the meantime, his wife was cowering in the kitchen. He finally got it out of her that she feared the beating that was coming. Her ex would beat her when anything broke, no matter who's fault it was, if anyone's. She thought it was normal and that he was going to hit her.

Mirrors my wife's experiences. Her first husband abused her horribly. Three miscarriages, broken nose, broken rib, and more. Forced her to do things that I will not say here. If another man spoke to her, she got a beat-down. I could go on and on. Was allowed to have no life of her own. Endured this for 17 years. When she finally got the courage to leave, the authorities placed her in a safe house for a few weeks until she was able to make arrangements to move out of state.

When we met, ten years later, she was packing a gun, and her sleep was plagued by major panic attacks. We have been married for 21 years, and she still makes a visit, every other month, to her psychiatrist's office. Wonderful woman, I love her with all my heart.

BTW: Karma did catch up with her ex. Diabetes cost him a leg. Didn't take care of himself. Dead by his early 50's. He deserved worse.
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

Oh hell yeah, but it just never happened, he was a cop......local sheriff deputy for years....
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

So are wenches and winches...

Touché
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

Oh hell yeah, but it just never happened, he was a cop......local sheriff deputy for years....

That's great to hear.
My wife can back a trailer like a pro. She was nervous as hell the first year or two of someone might make fun of her. After she got over that, it was no big deal. I pull up to the ramp and drop her off and pull back into the water until she brings the trailer.

Took a good friend crappie fishing one day. He kept throwing in the middle of the lake and way off the docks. I tried to coach him but he wasn’t altering his technique any. I caught my limit and he had yet to catch a single fish. I finally told him if he didn’t fish behind the cables or skip under the docks he wasn’t going to catch much as we were probably the 4th or 5th boat to fish this bank already. He finally told me he would get yelled at as a kid if he ever got hung up or lost a lure. I reached down and grad a handful of jigs and threw them in the water. Told him to get over that [bleep] and start fishing. I told him I make my own jigs and there’s probably a 1000 in the boat. He got better but you could still tell he had some severe anxiety anytime he thought he was going to get hung up.
Seems like it would be easier to teach folks how to operate the boat instead of the truck and trailer, let them drop you off and you fetch the rig!

Maybe .gov should install some ramp etiquette signs for the noobies.

Mike
You just can't win at a boat ramp.

I recently took a friend out for the day on a lake, it had a really busy ramp there. We put in no problem and on the way out he claimed to be a trailer backing pro so I let him have at it.

He was right, backed right down there and we were out in a flash, from the boat I told him to pull up to the tie-down area and we'd get situated for the road.

It was a tight area all around but they'd put some thought into its design and it worked really well, the tie-down area had room for at least 3 rigs pullin' trailers to stage.

It was all one way, after the tie-down area you were on a skinny road and then shortly at the main highway.

They have one sign stating "Tie-Down" with an arrow and then "No Parking" signs all along it...

I'm still in the boat, my friend pulls right into the tie-down area and keeps rolling along slowly. I'm waiting for him to stop but he doesn't....
I'm like WTF as we came to the stop sign at the main highway, we needed to stop back there and get our crap outta the boat and tie it down. He said but there was No Parking signs all the way down through there......

....sigh....

Luckily we got a few moments at the stop sign and managed..........
You just can't win at a boat ramp.

I recently took a friend out for the day on a lake, it had a really busy ramp there. We put in no problem and on the way out he claimed to be a trailer backing pro so I let him have at it.

He was right, backed right down there and we were out in a flash, from the boat I told him to pull up to the tie-down area and we'd get situated for the road.

It was a tight area all around but they'd put some thought into its design and it worked really well, the tie-down area had room for at least 3 rigs pullin' trailers to stage.

It was all one way, after the tie-down area you were on a skinny road and then shortly at the main highway.

They have one sign stating "Tie-Down" with an arrow and then "No Parking" signs all along it...

I'm still in the boat, my friend pulls right into the tie-down area and keeps rolling along slowly. I'm waiting for him to stop but he doesn't....
I'm like WTF as we came to the stop sign at the main highway, we needed to stop back there and get our crap outta the boat and tie it down. He said but there was No Parking signs all the way down through there......

....sigh....

Luckily we got a few moments at the stop sign and managed..........

LOL
One of my mom's sisters was married to a real dick for a while. In the late 70s, he came home from a bad day fishing on a river and proceeded to try and take it out on my aunt and cousins. Oldest cousin was 15 or 16 at the time, and is one of those girls that redefines the term tomboy. Jack-wad took a swing at her mom and missed... cousin swung a fireplace poker at him that didn't. Then she grabbed him by collar, drug his ass outside and worked on him some more with the poker and then switched to one of her little brother's baseball bats. Dick-weed spent a couple weeks in the hospital recovering and is now one of the meekest men you will ever meet. Won't raise his voice, disagree with anything or even look cross-wise at someone.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Holiday weekends

too many fuggin idiots out there

every where

This right here!^^^^ Stay away!
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Seems like it would be easier to teach folks how to operate the boat instead of the truck and trailer, let them drop you off and you fetch the rig!

That's what wifey and I decided on. She putts around in the boat while I back in/retrieve the boat. It would be exceptionally rare for my truck/railer to spend any more than 5min total for combined launch/retrieval on an actual launch ramp. I'll wave other folks by if I'm in line but still rigging/prepping to launch and I'll crowd the everliving schiitte of folks who haven't the sense to get outta the way. You wanna play "Chatty Kathy" on the ramp, I'll probably make you think you're about to get run over by someone who doesn't see you.

Wives/kids involved in the launching process earn my silence and/or an offer of assistance if they need it. Same for solo-launchers.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
The gal needs to get the heaviest skillet she's got.....hide behind the doorway and reconfigure that as sholes nose and mouth construction when he walks through!!

Hot grits.
I don’t take the boat out anymore.

I just fish from the boat ramp, and let the rugrats and dogs swim around.
I ain’t been to a boat ramp in thirty years....

Fug sharing lakes with others.

I just buy talapia for my fish frys.
Unlike many here, I prefer to leave my house every once in a while. Unfortunately, that sometimes means dealing with dipshitts at the boat launch.
Originally Posted by htredneck
One of my mom's sisters was married to a real dick for a while. In the late 70s, he came home from a bad day fishing on a river and proceeded to try and take it out on my aunt and cousins. Oldest cousin was 15 or 16 at the time, and is one of those girls that redefines the term tomboy. Jack-wad took a swing at her mom and missed... cousin swung a fireplace poker at him that didn't. Then she grabbed him by collar, drug his ass outside and worked on him some more with the poker and then switched to one of her little brother's baseball bats. Dick-weed spent a couple weeks in the hospital recovering and is now one of the meekest men you will ever meet. Won't raise his voice, disagree with anything or even look cross-wise at someone.

Stepdad or real dad?

Salty gal, either way. God bless her.
You guys are really missing out by not going to the boat ramp, it's more entertaining than any show on tv. You won't believe how many people can't back up a trailer ,remember to put the plug in a boat or remember to put their vehicle into park and set the emergency brake before getting out of the vehicle. I've seen guys take off all the straps off their boat and try to back down the ramp and the boat would roll right off the trailer onto the ramp. Sometimes when I get a dock for the weekend, I'll pick one where I can watch the ramp.
Sad. Doesn't take much to bring out true colors. Once in a while though, a really good kid surfaces from those messes but sometimes they can go too far the other way. Friend of a friend joined us one day on a trout outing. The guy had gotten regular beatings as a child, and he and his wife went to the other extreme with their youngster. Kid raised holy hell all day and never got so much as a cross look. I was really heart broken (not) when they announced they'd not be able to camp with us for the night.

The next 4 hours of conversation was focused solely on that kid and how we could likely straighten him out with just a brief trip to the wood shed.

Happy life on FB.... plenty of pics. Smiles.

She’ll put up with it long as he pays the car note, takes her on vacay..... worth it she thinks.
Seems like it would be easier to teach folks how to operate the boat instead of the truck and trailer

Yes. See that quite often. Fat guy sits in the boat while some tiny gal tries to maneuver a long bed crew cab and 20 ft trailer through a maze and down the ramp.

Worst one I went to help with was a huge Winnebago and small boat trailer. This was before cameras. I got in the driver's seat and one could not see any portion of the trailer in the mirrors on either side. If one could see a back corner, he'd already lost it.
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by htredneck

Stepdad or real dad?

Salty gal, either way. God bless her.

Real dad...
After he got out of the hospital, he never went home. Still live in the same small town, but they have been divorced ever since.
Originally Posted by 1minute
[quote]Worst one I went to help with was a huge Winnebago and small boat trailer.

I put a hitch receiver tube under the front bumper of a Class A motorhome- - - - - -got dozens of double takes as I pushed the boat trailer through lakeside campgrounds on the way to the boat launch ramp!
Jerry

Son and I limited out on the stripers again today. Fun and good eats.

Coming in to our spot this morning there was a wrecked boat on the river bank partially submerged. Big fiberglass double-decker. Old piece of junk. It wasn't there when we left yesterday about noon. Only thing we could figure is the boater slammed into that big snag downstream ripping out the hull. Sheriff boat patrol came by to check it out and they idled by to chat for a minute. Said there is no registered owner probably just "another river rat". Asked him how they were going to get it out of there he just shrugged, "I don't know".

Whoever abandoned that boat better have had a cell phone and a friend because it's a long walk to town from there.
Most of the people I see at the boat ramp are at least trying to get their stuff done and move along, Sure sometimes things don't go as planned, but I don't hold it against them as long as they are at least trying and not being stupid. One example a couple of weeks ago was a couple that were in an older boat, a pretty big like 24' center console. When we came by the ramp for a bathroom break around lunch time, the wife was swimming the boat back to the courtesy dock as their motor had died. I offered to help, but they were almost there and declined our offer. When we came back almost three hours later to pull out they were still there, but now had backed their trailer down the ramp and were trying to get the boat loaded with no motor, and another little john boat trying to act as a tug. It is only a two lane ramp and of course they blocked one side for a good amount of time, but not really their fault so I just floated around and listened to some music while my wife waited in line with the truck. No big deal, we just waited our turn. I like my fishing and boating to be fun and relaxing, and if that means I have to wait from someone to get their s#!t together, I try to not let it bother me. At the same time, my wife and I have our system down and can have the boat launched or retrieved in a matter of a couple of minutes. I'm lucky that she has some good trailer backing skills and we can communicate without the level of anger that some couples seem to hold.
Wifey operates the boat, I operate the truck. She does very well.

1) paddle a canoe

3) NEVER EVER EVER EVER REMODEL OR BUILD A house

[quote=akasparky]I use to run with a guy that was the craziest mf'er on earth when it came to launching a boat at a public ramp.

[/quote}

My little brother had to spend a bunch of weekends in jail for nearly beating to death a guy that tried to sucker punch him and hit his girlfriend square in the mouth. My brother out of instinct ducked and the guy hit her right in the teeth. Brother beat him 3/4's to death before the cops arrived and pulled him off.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I went out with a gal like that, after I got divorced back in 1987...

My G/F would cross the same situation that she'd been in before with the ex, who was physically abusive to her...
More than one, if in the kitchen, she would quickly reach in a drawer and pull out a butcher knife...with fear in her eyes...

I'd calmly ask her what she was doing? She'd look at it and then her face would turn in a look of terror, and she would drop the knife like it was on fire.. almost anything she would immediate defensive stance at the drop of a hat....

Her ex dropped off her 2 year old daughter one Sunday evening.. and I have no idea why, but the next second he was just going after her....I intercepted him.. he hit me once... I did nothing, so he hit me again....I was 5 inches taller than the guy and outweighed him by a good 50 to 60 lbs... he was 140 and I was 200 lbs...I grabbed his shirt and hit him in the face 3 times and then just let him drop... he never got rid of her ever again....

Too many times those types have no problem beating on a woman.. but when they suddenly get hurt in the process they crumble like a wet soda cracker...I don't get it...

but then, my G/F later admitted to being sexually abused as a kid by her step dad... and later after her divorce was final, her ex sister in laws, came to her one at a time individually, without the knowledge of the other two sisters doing the same.. her husband's Dad, had evidently raped each of his daughter regularly after they hit 12 or 13... the dad had told them if they told anyone, he'd kill them...

you get people like that, its a generational dysfunction.. which is pretty damned sad...
When my wife and I were first married, we had a plugged sewer line. Not having the funds for a plumber, we tackled the problem ourselves. Finding the cleanout, and armed with a garden hose with an attachment designed for this task we went to work. She manned the spigot, and I got the business end of the bargain. Just before she turned on the water I held her gently by the shoulders, looked her in the eyes and told her "If you hear me yell, don't say 'What?', just turn the water off. And remember, no matter what happens...I will still love you."

Years later, whenever we have a project or unpleasant task, we start it off with...no matter what happens.

Just checked to be sure. My iPad doesn’t know about the fish apparently. Maybe Siri has spent too much time on the pole....
Man and wife aren’t meant to do projects together. I built a house with mine, remodeled it some together. She is an Aggie Engineer, knows everything about anything mechanical (so she thinks). It was a ton of fun, we formed it, put dirt, plumbing, electrical, steel in it. Dug grade beams, guy I went to high school with poured it. We framed it, did everything but insulate and hang Sheetrock. Had a bricklayer do the brick. That was the longest two years of my life. Biggest fight we ever had was laying wood flooring out.
The sins of the father shouldn't carry down to the wife and especially not the child. I would leave him in a NY minute but I couldn't leave behind the mother and child.
But if you tossed HIS ass overboard and into the lake after getting mother and child on your boat, SHE would probably jump on your back and slit your throat with your own filet knife.

Often the sins of the father are enabled and fully supported by the mother. Ask any cop who has to respond to domestic disturbance calls.
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
My wife can back a trailer like a pro. She was nervous as hell the first year or two of someone might make fun of her. After she got over that, it was no big deal. I pull up to the ramp and drop her off and pull back into the water until she brings the trailer.

Took a good friend crappie fishing one day. He kept throwing in the middle of the lake and way off the docks. I tried to coach him but he wasn’t altering his technique any. I caught my limit and he had yet to catch a single fish. I finally told him if he didn’t fish behind the cables or skip under the docks he wasn’t going to catch much as we were probably the 4th or 5th boat to fish this bank already. He finally told me he would get yelled at as a kid if he ever got hung up or lost a lure. I reached down and grad a handful of jigs and threw them in the water. Told him to get over that [bleep] and start fishing. I told him I make my own jigs and there’s probably a 1000 in the boat. He got better but you could still tell he had some severe anxiety anytime he thought he was going to get hung up.

Good on you.
We only FINALLY got a 2 lane boat ramp after our city spent 100+ million on a new city marina they dug.

You talk about losing your shît at a boat ramp...almost all others here are single lane.

Noob soldier and his warthog army wife renting a boat from MWR, takes them 30 minutes to get it completely executed. I don’t care personally but some wannabe Bill Dance idiot dressed like ronald mcdonald pro staff is pissin his pants and throwin a fit. Knowing he probably been fishing every day that week.

Most of our ramps are in piss poor condition and in shîthole ghetto areas. People passed out on picnic tables...good times. Hope your truck still has all the glass when you get back.

Seen an EL Camino at the ramp, someone or multiple someone’s piled about 3 tons of rip rap in the bed and the busted the glass and filled up the seats and floorboards with boulders too. All the tires blown out.
lmfao
© 24hourcampfire