Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
For a long time, I've been curious about what different members of the Savage Forum do for a livelihood. Is this too personal of a question?

Last edited by damnesia; 05/25/20.
GB1

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
not too personal for me . I install all types of floor covering , I am a self employed subcontractor. been working for myself for 32 years now. so damnesia what is it you do ( did ) ?

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Collect my earned pensions and investments! Hire out as a boy (oldman) toy to supplement. Three times a year isn't cutting it. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jobs in 'order'.....

Driving a tractor raking hay for a USDA Beef Cattle research station, dad worked there, they didn't care that I was fifteen...

State Park lifeguard

Retail Grocery - never again

Flight Instructor - never again

Charter Pilot

Air Traffic Controller

Contract Instructor for the FAA teaching new hired Air Traffic Contlrs...

Haven't worked since 2011 - likely never will again...............

Last edited by muffin; 05/25/20.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Oh I guess I should have started offering up my own info. Sorry about that. My title is Principle Engineer. That is just a fancy name for I've been a software developer for 30ish years. I specialize in writing linux based embedded operating systems and do a lot of middle tier programming in C and C++, and to a certain extent Java. 20% of my job is supposed to be contributing to the linux kernel ( open source ).

Don't want to give people the wrong impression. I don't have a college degree in anything related to what I do for a living. I do have a degree in genetics and population biology. There was only one extra extra semester required to get both degrees and I thought population biology was a more interesting direction.

Last edited by damnesia; 05/26/20.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
writing linux based embedded operating systems and do a lot of middle tier programming in C and C++, and to a certain extent Java. 20% of my job is supposed to be contributing to the linux kernel ( open source ).

Wait.....what? grin grin

Retired, printer for 48 years after getting out of the Navy.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SS336
writing linux based embedded operating systems and do a lot of middle tier programming in C and C++, and to a certain extent Java. 20% of my job is supposed to be contributing to the linux kernel ( open source ).

Wait.....what? grin grin

Retired, printer for 48 years after getting out of the Navy.

I know. I didn't want to mention it because it gives the wrong impression. I grew up on a farm in rural Kansas and happen to have a natural aptitude for math. I've been wanting to ask this question or a while and was trying to avoid presenting my own info. Every time I tell people in person what I do, the answer is always the same "Wait what, you write software?" Even when I try to explain it to software developers they still don't understand what I do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dig ditches.

And stuff.

LOL
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I be a damn plumber. Will be 50 yrs on 6-30-21

I know the date, cause I still have a copy of my apprentice indenture contract. Five long years.

Last edited by hanco; 05/25/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been a Building Engineer in high-rise office buildings for the past 25+ years. Basically, I am a glorified maintenance man. The difference between my title and Janitor is, when water is pouring out of the ceiling it is my job to know where the water is coming from and what valve(s) to shut to make it stop. Once that is accomplished, I grab a wet vac and work alongside the janitor cleaning it up. šŸ˜€

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Retired. Was the Quality Assurance Engineer and later Plant Engr. at the Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant. It was a GOCO plant operated by Hercules then ATK. Produced one part of a triple base canon powder. When the plant closed (put 1,000,000 pounds in storage) we stripped out the buildings and burnt them. The plant (10,000 acers) was built during WWII and was active during Korea and Vietnam making many types of explosive components.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I install low voltage cabling. The company i work for is small but we have all big clients in our area. Right now we are doing all the fiber optic cabling at Pocono Raceway.

Joe

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Journeyman lineman for the power company. Been with them 40 years.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Rick99
Retired. Was the Quality Assurance Engineer and later Plant Engr. at the Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant. It was a GOCO plant operated by Hercules then ATK. Produced one part of a triple base canon powder. When the plant closed (put 1,000,000 pounds in storage) we stripped out the buildings and burnt them. The plant (10,000 acers) was built during WWII and was active during Korea and Vietnam making many types of explosive components.

When I was young I had clearance to mow the grass at Sunflower. It was my main source of income when I was a teen.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by hanco

I know the date, cause I still have a copy of my apprentice indenture contract. Five long years.

What's wrong with being a plumber? When I lived on Vashon, WA they got $150+ an hour. That's more than I've ever made.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Retired from IBEW Local #3 NYC

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Retired USAF Jan 1989. As a Meteorologist some of my work was for the Atomic Energy Commission while stationed at Patrick AFB, FL at the AF Tactical Applications Center (AFTAC) and also worked as a Space Shuttle Weather Forecaster at Cape Canaveral, FL for some 3-4 years. Since retiring, I played hunting guide here in Texas at a big game ranch with over 50 species of exotics. Got tired of the BS and rich clients after 6-7 years driving around in a Zebra colored jeep. Lately just fully retired. Tom

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I fish, hunt, and bug my wife, not necessarily in that order. Mow a couple lawns for spending money and split firewood. I was a shop steward at UPS for 30 years. I was such a bad driver, they pay me more to stay home, than they paid me to come in. Go figure, I took the deal.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 05/26/20.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Official title: Systems Engineer. Just a computer geek since I walked into the computer lab in 7th grade (40+ years ago...), saw all them teletype machines and was hooked. Spend most of my time on the phone babysitting people who shouldn't be sitting in front of a computer for a living. At night, musician, fisherman, gardener, tinkerer, astronomer and just plain curious about the universe. Wanted to be an astronaut as a kid, but soon discovered other heavenly bodies that were more trouble than they were worth.

Loved every minute of it.

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by damnesia
Originally Posted by hanco

What's wrong with being a plumber? When I lived on Vashon, WA they got $150+ an hour. That's more than I've ever made.

Only about 50 an hour down here, but some of that is for having a masters, backflow, wastewater, CDL, asbestos, licenses. Get a bit for being the backhoe operator and the welder. Iā€™m about done anyway.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.