Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Every year on Memorial Day, Fathers Day, and Veterans Day I think we need a stickie for our fathers and vets. I guess Fathers Day would be best. I found a roll of pics my Dad took in India during WWII, they were still good and got them developed. A format for Fathers, Brothers, Mentors, Uncles. If it weren't for my Uncle, I probably would never have gotten into Savages. He had a 59 F in 308. Only one time from 1968 till Dad passed in 2004, did we both get a deer the same year. Thankfully I got a pic of that one. Just tossing around ideas.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I posted a picture of my father, In the1st Marine’s, September 1944, Peleliu Is. Up in hunters campfire In battue’s “Memorial Day pic” thread. Thought it would be more popular on Veterans Day. He’s been dead 13 years now, still miss him.
We hunted and fished together all my life. Good times.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yep, my Dad was my best friend. He passed in 2004. I was thinking more along a permanent stickie like the one for posting our faces. Military pics, hunting pics, relatives, special friends. When I say hunting pics, I don't mean you and a deer. You and a deer, your hunting camp and Dad, Brother, or the guy that turned you on to guns, hunting and shooting.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joe, I love you like a brother, and your idea is a great one because we have all had a person or persons that have been a great influence on us, but how about a thread that memorializes our special friends and relatives?

Why does everything have to be a stickie? If everybody had something they thought should be a stickie, we'd have go to the third page to see the everyday threads.

We just got all those stickies cleaned up and consolidated into a manageable number.

Everybody can throw in, but JMO FWIW.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by SS336
I posted a picture of my father, In the1st Marine’s, September 1944, Peleliu Is. Up in hunters campfire In battue’s “Memorial Day pic” thread. Thought it would be more popular on Veterans Day. He’s been dead 13 years now, still miss him.

My boy was on the Peleliu for 4 years. I flew to Hawaii, rose ship back to San Diego. Lots of marines died on that island.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by SS336

My boy was on the Peleliu for 4 years. I flew to Hawaii, rose ship back to San Diego. Lots of marines died on that island.

They should have just driven around that island. A lot a Marines died there for little strategic value. History tells us that was a strategic blunder on our behalf.

Hindsight is 20/20.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, MacArthur wanted the island secured to protect his right flank when he moved on the Phillipines. Halsey opposed the idea- said forget about the Japs on Peleliu. "Dugout Doug" got his way and the Marine 1st Div got chewed to hell and gone. 73 days to take the island that they were told should be over and done with in 3 or 4 days....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I agree we have plenty of stickies. If a fella wanted to start a thread with hunting pics with relatives now and then that would be ok, I think. After a while they all start to look the same to me.

Funny thing. Neither my Dad or I carried cameras around back in the day. As a result I have very darn few photos of the two of us in hunting situations- maybe one or two. Heck, we never even took pictures of most of the deer we killed, nor did he or I ever save but one set of antlers each over the 20-couple years of hunting we did together (he died young-ish). All my hunting pics of my Dad are firmly imprinted in my head, where they should be. Some things are kinda private with me. Think about it, Joe- how many times have you seen me whip out my phone camera all those times we were up to our shenanigans?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 99guy
Joe, I love you like a brother, and your idea is a great one because we have all had a person or persons that have been a great influence on us, but how about a thread that memorializes our special friends and relatives?

Why does everything have to be a stickie? If everybody had something they thought should be a stickie, we'd have go to the third page to see the everyday threads.

We just got all those stickies cleaned up and consolidated into a manageable number.

Everybody can throw in, but JMO FWIW.

That works, if folks add to it now and then it will keep coming back, kind of like a rotational stickie.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.