Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
never been afraid of them started catching them when I was about 6-7, remember my mom and aunt chasing me when I was 8 with a hoe telling me to drop the water moccasin i caught.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gunzo
A bigchickenpussybaby. I have a phobia, a totally irrational fear of snakes.

You gotta have worse faults to worry about. Just got to! laugh

I'm scared of them myself. I was walking in a swamp with one of my buddies trying to pick out a spot to put a deer stand a couple of years ago. I stepped a little to close for my comfort to a little bitty copperhead about a foot long. The snake was to my right and my buddy to my left. Buddy is a great big fella probably 6'4 way over 200. I ran smack into him and bounced off like John Riggins used to bounce off linebackers....kept right on going for a few feet. Just a gut reaction that happened before I could think about it. I was wearing a fine pair of Chippewa snake boots at the time and could have stomped the poor little snake to death but that didn't matter.

A good laugh was had by all! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
never been afraid of them started catching them when I was about 6-7, remember my mom and aunt chasing me when I was 8 with a hoe telling me to drop the water moccasin i caught.

Worst ass whuppin I got from Mom was stuffing one in my pants pocket and her finding it whiel washing clothes. i still cringe

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most snakes I don't mind, been that way since I was a kid.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

OTOH, I fuggin' hate moccasins, copperheads, cobras, kraits, and bamboo vipers. Notice the red tail and arrowhead shape of the head, it's what differentiates them from the common green snake. That and the fact the viper version can kill you deader than a roadkill skunk. They don't live here in Floriduh. Yet.

[Linked Image from biosch.hku.hk]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yard is mowed, I didn't nearly hyperventilate, or sweat profusely. Like I did yesterday. Didn't even drink a beer before mowing or during. Live, & don't pee pants for another day.

Prairie Dog shoot scheduled for net month might be a go. I've wrestled prairie rattlers before on these shoots, serious, not squealing & running, man up & take care of the situation. I have a lot of fun shooting PD's, but the rattlers are usually on my mind & put a damper on things a bit. I try not to let them stop me.

IC B2

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Violator22
Originally Posted by slumlord
You only have to have 2% genetic negro to possess the notorious innate fear of serpents

๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Is there anyone named โ€œNateโ€ in your family tree?

Shake My family tree and there is some sickle cell in it, and I am blond haired blue eyed, so knock that [bleep] off.

You're A bigchickenpussybaby, too!

Gonna find one of them philippine cobras and send the little bastard to ya...LOL

Cool! When I had to live in Kansas, I used to catch Copperheads near the house and relocate them. My wife is terrified of snakes. She can barely look at a picture of one.

Well, I understand your wifes position. How is she able to leave the house?

Hey Digital Dan, not gonna copy your last pic as I've seen enough. But is that the one they called the 2 step Charlie? I've got buddies that told me about them. And... the FU lizards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Worst ass whuppin I got from Mom was stuffing one in my pants pocket and her finding it whiel washing clothes. i still cringe

wow, that sure beats a frog!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My friend Gary was at an air base in Thailand during the Vietnam War. There was a village nearby and he would go down there to a local restaurant and have a meal and a beer.
Walking down the road one day, he saw a garter snake and picked it up. He walked into the Thailand restaurant. Everbody jumped up and ran out the door.
The owner, who knew Gary, told him, "Gary go outside right now and drop the snake and kill it. Or else, you will die young in Thailand."

Turned out it was a bamboo viper.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My friend Gary was at an air base in Thailand during the Vietnam War. There was a village nearby and he would go down there to a local restaurant and have a meal and a beer.
Walking down the road one day, he saw a garter snake and picked it up. He walked into the Thailand restaurant. Everbody jumped up and ran out the door.
The owner, who knew Gary, told him, "Gary go outside right now and drop the snake and kill it. Or else, you will die young in Thailand."

The triangle shaped head is always the thing to look for. There's a few venomous snakes native to here, but about all you hear of are Copperheads. Anytime I see a snake the first thing I focus on is the shape of its head.

But I can't recall the last time I saw a snake of any kind around here.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by hanco
My son in law is a war veteran, decorated police officer. He is scared cshitless of snakes. I have chased him several times with live rattlesnakes Iโ€™ve caught. He squeals like a little girl. If there is a snake in his yard, my daughter has to go kill it.

Here is a good size pine snake I caught a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]lightshot

Chase me with a poisonous snake - and you're first, snake second!
Any non-poisonous snake gets a pass, though!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molษ”ฬ€หn Labรฉ Skรฝla~
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by slumlord
You only have to have 2% genetic negro to possess the notorious innate fear of serpents

๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Is there anyone named โ€œNateโ€ in your family tree?

Shake My family tree and there is some sickle cell in it, and I am blond haired blue eyed, so knock that [bleep] off.

You're A bigchickenpussybaby, too!

Gonna find one of them philippine cobras and send the little bastard to ya...LOL

Cool! When I had to live in Kansas, I used to catch Copperheads near the house and relocate them. My wife is terrified of snakes. She can barely look at a picture of one.

Well, I understand your wifes position. How is she able to leave the house?

Hey Digital Dan, not gonna copy your last pic as I've seen enough. But is that the one they called the 2 step Charlie? I've got buddies that told me about them. And... the FU lizards.

I had to sweep the yard and keep the grass putting-green short!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Just do what I do. Catch them with your snake tongs. The pattern on the skin is pretty when you see it up close.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOOKS LIKE A NICE COPPERHEAD.

I ve always liked and been fascinated by snakes and all reptiles and amphibians since Ive been a child. I just worry about rattle snakes bird hunting and concerned dog might get bit.

Ill often stop if I see a bull snake sunning on the road and pull it off the road. Could care lees if a rattle snake.

Only thing I hate are ground hornets

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I donโ€™t like ground hornets either

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This should give you the Hee bee gee bee's!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molษ”ฬ€หn labรฉ skรฝla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe

The triangle shaped head is always the thing to look for. There's a few venomous snakes native to here, but about all you hear of are Copperheads. Anytime I see a snake the first thing I focus on is the shape of its head.

Yeah, look at the head.

[Linked Image from scx1.b-cdn.net]

Now tell me, is this a bad snake?

[Linked Image from animals.net]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/25/20.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Yeah, look at the head.

[Linked Image from scx1.b-cdn.net]

Now tell me, is this a bad snake?

[Linked Image from animals.net]
king cobra.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winner!

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A bigchickenpussybaby. I have a phobia, a totally irrational fear of snakes.

Getting the zero turn mower ready yesterday, gas, checking fluids topping off hyd. tanks & just about finished. I had scanned the shop floor & rafters when I first went in the shop, all clear.

Put the caps back on tanks & right there in front of my face, sticking it's tongue out & looking at me like, whats up? The sumbuck wasn't in the rafters, it was in my feakin mower.

After the usual girly scream & the 5-10 foot run when I can usually stop myself, the vision of the encounter reappeared, my distance had doubled. Then I realized it was still in my mower & screamed just a little more. I had a 317 Smith w/shot shells in my pocket, but that just didn't compute until after the 30' dash.

Wife came to the end of the porch & I thought she ask; what is it.
Totally irrational now, I said; WTF do you think it is.
She said; I ask where is it, you smartass.
It's in my freakin mower, I said, & wanted to cry. What the hell am I gonna do now.

I'll save the snake lovers the details of the rodeo that followed, but in the end, it didn't go well for the critter. Tools were a S&W & a frog gig with a 12 foot pole, as I wouldn't touch a snake with a 10' one.

I've tried to man up & get used to the things, but so far I haven't been successful, my virgina always come into play. My phobia isn't totally life controlling as I usually deal with it & don't live in constant fear when I think I'm in their territory. But the sudden encounters take over before I can gain any common sense of the situation & I just loose it. crazy

Just thought I'd vent, & yes, the yard still needs mowing.

Not at all uncommon... Good friend of mine is the same way - can't even watch any show on TV that features snakes...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We all have phobias. Back in junior high days I caught a black widow in a small jar and took it to school. When I unveiled it in science class I got my first public ass chewing. Thing that really hurt was I had the hots for teacher. Not sure I ever got over that.

I am..........disturbed.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i live way out in the country, on a farm with every sort of critter. not uncommon to see snakes, spiders (particularly brown recluse), and flying hornets, wasps, etc. Because we raise rice, it's not unusual to have cottonmouths crawl through the yard. also can find copperheads in the woods around fields. i kill every pit viper i see, but let all other snakes move on past. just started spring squirrel hunting a few days ago and have seen 2 cottonmouths so far. snakes are just part of every day life, so you get used to them. my wife can't tell the difference between most snakes, she just hollers and i come running. wouldn't have it any other way. ymmv.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,368
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.