Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother wants to buy a Tesla. So we went down to Charlotte today for a test drive.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You look at the dashboard, there are no gauges or dials. No fuel gauge, no hot engine light, no speedometer. All functions for the car are displayed on the computer including speedometer.

You want to adjust the mirrors, you go to the controls on the computer screen. All vehicle functions including speedometer are on the computer screen.

This vehicle is a delight to drive. Handling is great, and it is smooth and quiet. The power is unbelievable. I have a lightweight pickup with a 235HP V6, this Tesla would blow my pickup out of the water. Sticker is about $45K, no dickering.

The power of the vehicle is unbelievable. We were doing 65 on the interstate, and brother hit the throttle, and it slammed my head back into the head rest.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
How far can it go before it needs to be plugged in?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Drove one when the only showroom was still in Palo Alto ca.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is a fire extinguisher included?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
When we were driving today the vehicle displayed, on the computer screen of course, that it could still go 238 miles. I think it said it had a 65 percent charge.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great, you have to take your eyes off the road everytime you have to change something. No tactile feel switches knobs etc. I'll remember that next time a Tesla is near me on the road. Distracted drivers make me nervous.

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The electric drive does facinate me though.

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ruger438
Great, you have to take your eyes off the road everytime you have to change something. No tactile feel switches knobs etc. I'll remember that next time a Tesla is near me on the road. Distracted drivers make me nervous.

What I was thinking too.
Human physiology and kinesthetics haven't suddenly change. Been the same for 100's of k's of years

Last edited by SBTCO; 05/26/20.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
There is a shift lever on the right side of the column, like you would have for an old time automatic transmission. With this you put it in "Drive" or "Reverse" or "Park."
And there is another setting on the shift lever, "Autopilot." Set it there and it drives itself. That was really weird, driving in traffic on an interstate at 75 mph, my brother had his hands off the wheel. The Tesla keeps you in your lane, and keeps the proper distance from the vehicle in front of you. We ran on autopilot for 3 minutes that really felt weird. I was channeling Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon, "I'm too old for this s**t."

This single shift lever is the only control similar to the old time cars. There is no parking brake.
When you are driving, the big computer screen turns automatically into a GPS, really good GPS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would rather have the gauges in front of me personally.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just remember you ABSOLUTELY can not buy any parts for it or repair it yourself. You can buy black market second hand but you in no way shape or form buy them from Tesla themselves.They will blackball your car and wont repair it anymore AND not sell you any parts. No matter what your renting that car and they can shut it off or refuse service or repair at any time at their whim. One guy online couldn't get them to sell him lugnut covers. They wanted him to set up an appt to take it to a service center to ahve the lugnut covers replaced.

Last edited by k20350; 05/26/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How long does the battery last and how much to replace it?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Tesla's still working on a car that will drive itself while you watch tv or read a book.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I would consider one if they ever got to where I could drive about 400 miles and rejuice the battery in the same time it takes to fill my gas tank now. Also there would have to be a lot of "juice" stations.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How far will it go with the heat on when the weather is 20F and you are driving 80mph?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I would rather have the gauges in front of me personally.
Yeah, that's pretty cheesy. A lot going on in that small space that isn't the direction you need to be looking.

Politics is War by Other Means
G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
A guy I know bought one for his wife and took me for a ride in it. That thing was unbelievably fast. Lots of good YouTube videos of them smoking street drag cars. I do concur with others, I would be concerned to own one due to the technology.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Daughter has the Tesla X. It is a blast to drive. Power is unbelievable. Fit and finish is just as nice as Mercedes. There are a lot of well though out features on those cars, and the voice system actually understands when I ask it particular questions unlike my wife's Toyota that never understands what I am asking for.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Tesla's still working on a car that will drive itself while you watch tv or read a book.

That is what I am saying. According to what I saw in 3 minutes today on the Charlotte Perimeter, you could get in the back seat and bang your girlfriend while the Tesla cruised around Charlotte at 75 mph on Autopilot. The Tesla reads the lanes and keeps you in your lane, and it has a radar that reads the car before you, and keeps proper distance.

Of course there are some important questions. How long do the batteries last? We don't know.
Gas is about $1.20 a gallon. My brother's pickup gets 20 mpg. He pays 6 cents the mile for driving. For the moment, we will leave out costs of spark plug replacement, oil changes and air filter replacement. The Tesla doesn't have oil, or spark plugs, or air filters.
But today, cheapo for 6 cents a mile. That will be back up to 12 cents a mile once the Dempanic is over in a few months.
So, how much does it cost per mile to charge up the Tesla? Brother doesn't know.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If they weren't getting gov't subsidies, Tesla wouldn't exist. Make sure to turn in your mancard if you get one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.