-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only bitch about the 22lr LCR is that it’s not the easiest thing in the world to hit small targets with. Trying to head shoot a grouse can be a challenge. At least for me.

Thank god they are either stupid or patient enough to hold still for 2 or 3 shots. Maybe even 5 or 6 😁

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MadMooner
My only bitch about the 22lr LCR is that it’s not the easiest thing in the world to hit small targets with. Trying to head shoot a grouse can be a challenge. At least for me.

Thank god they are either stupid or patient enough to hold still for 2 or 3 shots. Maybe even 5 or 6 😁

Have you tried the 3" version?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
never even owned a rimfire handgun.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Have you tried the 3" version?

No. I need to get one.

A 327 FM would be sweet with 32 longs for general assing around.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bobmn
Walther PP 22LR fitted with MMC adjustable rear sight

I remember Skeeter once had the same little Walther and I really wanted one. I never could find a PP that wasn't a .32. I tried to find MMC a few months ago on the Internet and they must have went out of business or the owner passed.

Sorry, I just did another search and MMC is still in business.

Last edited by model70man; 05/23/20.
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for the information on MMC sights...I thought they were long gone. They started in New Mexico, were sold to a guy who moved them to Las Vegas and then I thought they went out of business. I see now they are in Texas...

Have their sights on several of my 1911s and one S&W 6906...

Have Walther PPs in both .22 and .32...great little shooters but the Germans sighted their guns in a for a 6:00 o'clock hold so hitting small targets that don't have the right size bullseye is a challenge...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My usual is an SP101 in 32H&R, 4" but I do enjoy th S&W 63-4 .22. The 432PD is great too...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My kit gun, is a Ruger Single Six stainless, 5.5 inch barrel with a 22 lr and 22 mag cylinder. The 22 Mag cylinder is used 90 % of the time. Since it seems to be measurable step up in horsepower compared to the 22 lr. I carry it when G-hog hunting for the close shots that come up from time to time. My best/luckiest shot was at lased 42 yds. at a perched pigeon on an old farm out building. Bang, plop. I could never do that two times in a row.. I like the versatility of that combo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by mart
To me a kit gun has always been a handgun that is essential or at least handy for the activity at hand. Like some of the other tools one would need in the same activity, knife, hatchet, pack, tackle etc. When I was trapping full time there were certain things that were with me every day and essential to the activity. The Single Six was among those things. Same with packing meat or hiking or any other outdoor activity. My "kit" are those things that I deem to be necessary to the activity and most times a handgun of one kind or another is part of that kit. A kit doesn't have to be something packed away. In my case I consider those things I carry on me as part of my kit. If that makes sense.

By that definition, when is a gun not a "kit" gun? Why don't we have a "kit" knife or "kit" hatchet?

You may have guessed that I have come to consider the whole concept rather inane.

I guess in truth I've never used the term "kit" to describe those things I carry afield. But yes, if one considers those things carried afield for a given activity one's "kit", then it might include a knife, hatchet, small folding saw, or any other item deemed necessary to the activity. So any gun could be considered a kit gun. A recently passed friend who once guided in Africa considered his well worn Whitworth 458 Winchester his "kit" gun and in several conversations referred to it as such. Usually when he caught me drooling over a nice, older S&W 34, he'd remind me of his "kit " gun. I sure miss him. One of the only guys at work who could speak gun on the same level.

There ya go.

IIRC, this whole "kit gun" term and obsessive discussion of it dates back to a certain long ago article by a certain gunwriter. It's somewhat interesting, historically, and has been talked to death - but I find it somewhat irrelevant today, when so many of us have a handgun on us daily, and so many more could if they chose to.

I think of my less expensive Rossi 511/515/518/720 small frame stainless revolvers as "kit' guns because they didn't cost much and if I was to damage or even lose one, I wouldn't be too bummed. Not so with a 3.5" S&W 27 or even a 2.5" S&W 66. Since I have several of each of the Rossi 515s and 720s, I usually leave one of each in each of my vehicles, so that it will be there if/when I need/want one.

I'd be bummed about losing track of any gun. Not so much about breaking one.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I lost a gun over the side of a boat into Milford Lake, near Junction City, KS, back in 1984. Single O-3s didn't make much money back then, so the loss of that Remington 870 caused an unexpected and unappreciated bump to my budget.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was perusing the Ruger website and found this, a 3" SP101 .357 with a shortened underlug. It reminded me of those 3" Model 60's although blued instead of stainless and about 4 oz heavier - 23 for the Smith and 27 for the Ruger. I like the SP101 but this one should be stainless and like all of this model it needs a little bit longer grip. You can buy aftermarket ones but I'd like to see it come from the factory with something about halfway between these little grips and the long grips on the LCRx.

[Linked Image from ruger.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Was perusing the Ruger website and found this, a 3" SP101 .357 with a shortened underlug. It reminded me of those 3" Model 60's although blued instead of stainless and about 4 oz heavier - 23 for the Smith and 27 for the Ruger.

[Linked Image from ruger.com]

At least they stuck some decent sights on it. Bout damn time!!!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/27/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smith & Wesson Chief's Special 38

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
ideally my kit gun is something in 22. it should be a ruger bearcat. i’m most accurate shooting 22wmr out of a ruger single six. a s&w 317 is pleasantly lightweight almost to the point of feeling fragile. however the one kit gun carried when i racewalk 4 miles daily is a naa bugout1 22lr with cv revision grips. it, a 10 round speedstrip , a swiss army knife, a miniflashlight, keys, wallet and cel phone all in a fanny pack.

Attached Images
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of kit guns, here's one on gunbroker right now. A 60-4, the first of the series of these 3" underlug/adj sight models in .38 Spl. Not sure where the price will go but a nice specimen. The front sight has been replaced with a red ramp and new grips added.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869176417

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Police Positive in . 38 Colt.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
That will do.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A couple of other favorites.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My Police Positive is cooler than your Police Positive.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 3,195 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.