Print Thread
Hop To
M
MMM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I know McMillan stocks have been discussed at length many times. I almost hate to bring them up again but I have a question I have not really seen addressed, after looking through 10 pages of search results.

I have always wanted one and am getting ready to order my first. It will be for an old Ruger tang safety in 7x57 that shoots pretty well (an honest MOA), it's my favorite hunting rifle. My question is about the stock fit, how well are the drop-in stocks inletted, will they be good and tight, will they require any stroking to get them right, either relieving or filling/bedding? It just seems too good to be true, and I am no stock guy. If it fits pretty well and shoots like before I will be happy, but I would hate to order one and wait for it and then have to leave it with a stock fitter for another 6 months to a year, it would defeat the appeal of having one for me.

Any advice/experiences appreciated.

Thanks, namsag

HR IC

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve never had one for your particular rifle but they’ve always been a drop in fit for me. Some gunsmiths might do some minor fitting work if they are putting together a rifle and bedding the action. Many people use them without any fitting or bedding with great results

I’d order with confidence

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Any work I've had to do on McM stocks has been minimal and often cosmetic.

I get them unpainted, do the bedding, fill in the bolt handle slot and recut for a tighter, custom fit. Little things like that make a difference, IMO.

Then, I tape the pad and bedding (saves $35), send it back to McM for paint. My only cost is postage one way. They paint and return on their dime.

Here are examples of bolt handle slots I've working on. McM's generic bolt handle slot is a good bit bigger.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Any work I've had to do on McM stocks has been minimal and often cosmetic.

I get them unpainted, do the bedding, fill in the bolt handle slot and recut for a tighter, custom fit. Little things like that make a difference, IMO.

Then, I tape the pad and bedding (saves $35), send it back to McM for paint. My only cost is postage one way. They paint and return on their dime.

Here are examples of bolt handle slots I've working on. McM's generic bolt handle slot is a good bit bigger.

DF

Thats good info about them painting after you do work to them. I like Mcmillan's paint jobs. They do a great job and the finishes are very durable. One thing I have to add about Mcmillan is they have a problem with inletting where the trigger guard goes on a pre 64 model 70. I've had to mill the inlet deeper, which is not a big deal, if you have the tools. Here are some pics to show what I have had to deal with on a couple mcmillan stocks:

And then after it's milled deeper:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, have had to tweak some as well.

That’s why I always start with an unpainted stock.

And, they do a great paint job.

DF

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
x2 on the Pre-64 Trigger guards. I discussed this with them after receiving my last one. I ended up returning it. I have also had to sand barrel channels to make the floats even on both sides of the barrel. Dirtfarmers route is the best, get the blank, do the tweaking, send back for paint.

In regards to fit on Rugers, I’ve never owned one but seem to recall McMillan stating something to the effect of Rugers being the most difficult to make a drop in as the Ruger factory dimensions vary more than other manufacturers.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've not had any problems with the barreled action Ruger 77 fitting a McMillan stock, but the 2 piece bottom metal can sometimes use a little massage work.

2 piece bottom metal should be outlawed.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TomM1
x2 on the Pre-64 Trigger guards. I discussed this with them after receiving my last one. I ended up returning it. I have also had to sand barrel channels to make the floats even on both sides of the barrel. Dirtfarmers route is the best, get the blank, do the tweaking, send back for paint.

In regards to fit on Rugers, I’ve never owned one but seem to recall McMillan stating something to the effect of Rugers being the most difficult to make a drop in as the Ruger factory dimensions vary more than other manufacturers.

I'd think Mausers may be more variable than even Ruger 77's.

I had to send a Mauser to them for fitting. This was an FN 98 with #2 Shilen in an Edge McWoody Classic Mauser. Currently, they offer only marble finish with black backgrounds. Seems the black carbon shell sometimes showed thru the Marble finish, so now they only offer black background marble finishes. So, my McWoody with brown background is no longer offered in Edge stocks. Glad I got this one. I have several McWoody stocks, this one has the best pattern.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RemModel8
I've not had any problems with the barreled action Ruger 77 fitting a McMillan stock, but the 2 piece bottom metal can sometimes use a little massage work.

2 piece bottom metal should be outlawed.

Particularly when the front screw goes in at an angle 😉

Dirtfarmer- I can easily see mausers being all over the map. The limited Ruger stock swapping I have done (sample of 1) went really well. Actually wish I still had that one.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

I think a lot of guys don't know you can send it back to them for the final paint work. That is some very useful info dirtfarmer. Thanks.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

DF

I think a lot of guys don't know you can send it back to them for the final paint work. That is some very useful info dirtfarmer. Thanks.

You got it, bro...

😎

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1234, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,795
Posts18,496,223
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.