Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Do you think that stretching wire is going to bend a 1/2 inch steel bolt, set 7 inches into concrete?
I don't think so.

Yes, in a absolute heart beat...

So, I can assume you didn't stretch any wire from that post then....

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akasparky
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I'd poor the concrete a little higher than grade, embed some kind of anchor to the top of it, and then set the post on top of the footing rather than inside of it. To me, inside is asking for it to hold water and rot in time. on top, it stays dry, but if anything happens you can always replace it without disturbing your footing.

So you've really never built a fence with wood corner posts it appears...

Actually built miles of 5 strand barbed wire with bigass hedge posts for corners/braces with 2” pipe and #9 smooth tying them together with every tenth post a 4” hedge line post.

The discrepancy was not following the OPs chicken run as going to be a fence under tension as opposed to just some sort of lean too off his back shed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We have posts set in concrete on the farm for over seventy years. I'd put concrete above ground level to keep water from the posts.

Free advice is who what you pay. Good luck.

The voice of experience says...

You wanna tell um the down side of a concreted in fence post?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The discrepancy was not following the OPs chicken run as going to be a fence under tension as opposed to just some sort of lean too off his back shed.

So ya figure he just wants sloppy sagging wire then...

BTW, those cheap galvanized Chinese brackets your using will rot away years before that treated post would..

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When pouring footings for bridge abutments, the elevation of the top of the footing was usually 2ft. below the elevation of the stream or river. After putting a rough finish on the top of the footings we would turn the dewatering pumps off and flood the entire footing. Best thing for curing concrete. If I was building this chicken run ,I'd did the holes large enough to accept dropping in a 60 lb. bag of premix so it would lay flat in the hole. Drop bag and all into hole . Place your post into the hole plumb it and fill it in with what you dug out. Moisture will get into that bag and do it's thing. 45 years ago I saw a 90ft x 60ft pole barn built this way and it's still standing today.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The old creosote posts, and poles last a lot long than any of the "green" treatments.

Morton Buildings has gone to precast concrete, with the poles attached above grade.

More than one way to do it right.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akasparky

So ya figure he just want sloppy sagging wire then...

Small run. Posts braced top and bottom between each other with further board. String whatever wire you want up however tight you need without sagging.

Again, I was thinking more of a building with braces tying ever thing together as opposed to a wire fence.

Feel free to know everything though. Doesn’t hurt anybody.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Poor retention of the treatment used.

If a post get bumped, the post set in concrete might break, in soil, it should just move.

Posts set with rock, tamped hard works well to.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The old creosote posts, and poles last a lot long than any of the "green" treatments.

Morton Buildings has gone to precast concrete, with the poles attached above grade.

More than one way to do it right.

I've found concreted in posts to be a challenge to tamp to re-tighten and ya can't re-drive them, so you just have to do it right the first time..

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
4X6 posts????????? How big are these chickens, anyway? Maybe they've got a little gorilla in their DNA somewhere?
Jerry

BIG....especially my COCK. My COCK is simply tremendous, I mean really,really large. Those who have seen it say it may be the biggest ever. Simply an incredible COCK, in all regards. Just fantastic.

Lol ok now that I've channeled my inner 'Flave and got that out of my system, we can carry on.
There is more to this than I initially stated, because I didn't expect that I'd get more than an answer or two stating yes or no. These corner posts really aren't a structural part of the run, although they are contained within it. The run is built on a 4x6 floating base, these posts are at the far corners and one right in the center. The barn itself serves as the back wall to the run. This barn is old, and as is common out here the wind has pushed it slightly to one side. You wouldn't notice except to look at the windows, but its definitely a bit off.

My plan is to set these posts in place and use them as anchors to a trio of brace posts I will put in place. This, I hope, will prevent the barn from leaning any more over time. The braces will go from the top of the barn wall just below the roof line down to the ground, against the posts being discussed here. I'd post some pics if I could but none of the hosting services seem to work for me.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Cedar or Locust

What ya got........

Tamp rocks/gravel & dirt and call er good........

Be there till hell freezes over

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
sSame old fire, smile, [Linked Image from 78.media.tumblr.com]

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Cedar or Locust

What ya got........

Tamp rocks/gravel & dirt and call er good........

Be there till hell freezes over

Pressure treated is the best I can do

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I didn't bother reading the entire thread. If no one told you concrete cures better under water than out! Mix as per directions and displace the water with mixed concrete.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
for something like that i think i may just pack some gravel around them. kind of doubt you need concrete.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Do you think that stretching wire is going to bend a 1/2 inch steel bolt, set 7 inches into concrete?
I don't think so.

Nah. whistle

If you stretch net wire the way you should, it'd break 'em right off. But it may just bend them... The ground point is where all the stress leverages when you stretch wire.

On a corner, you need a double H brace to stretch most anything.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We’ve had to replace almost all the posts in our backyard cedar fence. They were in concrete and it looks like the original installers left the concrete “dished” around the post. I suspect every time it rains or we water the lawn, the water stands in the top of the concrete and soaks into the wood. The posts have rotted off at the top of the concrete. I hate wood outside.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Then here are steel pipes used as posts, set in the concrete, last longer than we will.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I don't think so.

Nah. whistle

If you stretch net wire the way you should, it'd break 'em right off. But it may just bend them... The ground point is where all the stress leverages when you stretch wire.

On a corner, you need a double H brace to stretch most anything.

OK, I give. I have built a lot of decks, but I have never stretched any wire. Hard for me to believe it would bend a 1/2 inch steel bolt.
Dammit we need 1 inch steel bolts!

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I fugging hate wood posts in concrete.

Hate em.

Me too because you know you'll have to dig it all up in the near future.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,919
Posts18,479,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.