Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
During testing for the advanced level swim qualification in the Marine Corps, you have to rescue a person who is basically trying to drown you. The testing instructor is acting like a drowning, panicked person. The test is hard to pass and wears you the hell out. Getting your head pushed under constantly sucks. I passed it (WSQ 1) but it was a challenge. Out of 8 of us, 3 of us made it. Other two were new Ch-46 crew chiefs. That tells you how long ago that was.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
seen them get panic attacks on Bering Sea Gold.....closest I'll ever get to diving

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did lots of free diving as a kid and had several incidences where I pushed it and things were getting dark as I broke the surface. For sure an endeavor where panic has no place.

1Minute
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My dive instructor was a Marine diver. Fun guy, no nonsense. He thought that some of the accessories people bought were a bit foolish, a dive knife being one he had little use for in most cases. Learning to buddy breathe, he joked that if you ever gave your regulator to a panicked diver, you'd find out what a dive knife was really for. Good joke.

Fast forward a couple of weeks: We're doing an open water dive at Sand Harbor in Lake Tahoe. He had me paired with a 15 year old kid. We did our ditch and don, and got to the the buddy breathing exercise. He popped his regulator out alright, and accepted mine just fine. But then his eyes were big as dollars. I gestured that it was my turn to breathe, and he firmly shook his head, NO!

Dang, no dive knife! Laughin'.

So I grabbed his regulator and popped in my mouth. Now we were both breathing, so I grabbed him and popped the CO2 inflator on his buoyancy vest, and up we went. On the surface, he was more agreeable to giving me back my regulator.

Last edited by denton; 05/29/20.

Be not weary in well doing.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't dive, and never dove, and never will.

I am HELL ON WHEELS with a mask and snorkel and the clams and rock lobster fear me in Mexico.....

But I am always ~25 ft or less deep.

I'd love to scuba just to stay under at that depth for longer periods of time, but I have no desire to go deeper than I can surface without BENDS.

Good on all you though!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
There's a bunch of places off Highland Beach where you'd take your tank off to go through the crevices so you could get to the lobsters. I believe scuba diving contributed to the COPD problems I have now.

That's interesting, because I always felt better with my asthma after breathing in a couple tanks of compressed air. Different strokes for different folks.

Lol.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by denton
My dive instructor was a Marine diver. Fun guy, no nonsense. He thought that some of the accessories people bought were a bit foolish, a dive knife being one he had little use for in most cases. Learning to buddy breathe, he joked that if you ever gave your regulator to a panicked diver, you'd find out what a dive knife was really for. Good joke.

Fast forward a couple of weeks: We're doing an open water dive at Sand Harbor in Lake Tahoe. He had me paired with a 15 year old kid. We did our ditch and don, and got to the the buddy breathing exercise. He popped his regulator out alright, and accepted mine just fine. But then his eyes were big as dollars. I gestured that it was my turn to breathe, and he firmly shook his head, NO!

Dang, no dive knife! Laughin'.

So I grabbed his regulator and popped in my mouth. Now we were both breathing, so I grabbed him and popped the CO2 inflator on his buoyancy vest, and up we went. On the surface, he was more agreeable to giving me back my regulator.

Laughing.

When you got back on land, You should have broke in your dive knife by putting it through his vest a couple times once he took it off. Lol.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Description says "15 meters".

Looks like Rabbit Island in the background which, for the Magnum, p.i. fans out there, is directly across from Robin's Nest.

Thought that looked like Hawaii in the background.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Girl in my class freaked. Same kinda deal. Started to panic, ripped off her mask, spat the reg and did a schit job of trying to swim for the surface.
Instructor grabbed her and buoyed her up right quick.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I remember a moment of panic I had under water. I was doing a dive on a wreck at 125 feet and some water got into my air stream and went down my airway. I started coughing into my regulator and tried hard as hell to stay calm. The coughing became involuntary at one point. After about 20-30 seconds, I got my breathing under control. But I can tell you, it was pretty terrifying for a few moments.

Something similar to happen to me on a wreck dive, in 85 feet, not as bad as you but bad enough that it changed my whole outlook on life and diving :-) and experience I do not ever want to repeat.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There was a regular hear years back who perished diving a wreck off of the Carolinas, I dunno how or why but I doubt it was panic.

As far as that newbie, I can understand how breathing off a mouthpiece far underwater might take some getting used to. Never have dived myself.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not everyone is cut out for scuba diving. She is a danger to herself and any potential dive partner. My wife couldn't cut it either.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Montana has mountains. Mo better. If God woulda wanted us to be like fish....

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Point of interest, my Irish grandpa left Ireland as a teenager to go work on the Panama Canal, ended up working as a salvage diver in the Caribbean. Had to have been in the early 1920's or before. That was back in the lead weights and pot helmet days. Suffered a severe attack of the bends, which eventually contributed to his untimely demise twenty years later. I never met him of course.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Don't really think she was in much danger once the instructor got to her and shoved the regulator in her mouth. They appeared to be at slightly more than 1 atmosphere (33 ft; which is common for Open Water certification dives), probably around 40-45. So, she wasn't going to get bent because she came up too fast. Got to hand it to the instructor. He did a good job there getting her up.

Had a girl diving with me once that blew her tank up too fast and just didn't want to surface. Had to buddy breathe her back up. No problem. She was calm. And smokin hot. smile

Danger is not getting the bends it is an air embolism (pnuemothorax) Air under pressure in her lungs will expand and blow the lining out of lungs. you have 8 quarts of air in your lungs at surface at 15 psi., at 33 feet you have still have 8 quarts of air but it has been compressed (30 PSI)and is actually 16 quarts of surface air by volume. That air expands as you go up. Only takes 3 lb pressure change to do that. We had a student get a small embolism buddy breathing in a pool swimming laps and went up the incline holding his breath when I went thru the special forces scuba course. Small hole and crepitation in shoulders that evening. Put out of the course and no diving for one year. That is also why you never dive with a cold. Mucus plugs will expand close one section of the lungs and blow out on the way up. Lost two friends like that.

May people say "I just will not go deep" when in actuality the last 15 feet coming up are the most dangerous.

I have had a valve malfunction on a deep dive with a student and he panicked at 100 ft and would not buddy breath after 2 times. I had to do a "blow and go" from 100 feet and it was not a fun experience. Immediately grabbed another tank and went to 10 feet to decompress for 15 minutes and diving was over for that day.

we lost more guys diving to include SF dive medics than ever jumping. The sea is very unforgiving.

Last edited by BountyHunter; 05/30/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
night dive 2am in the morning, looking for a reported drowned kid in a mountain lake, pitch black. i was tangled in heavy weeds and came on a fish with big eyes at about six inches from my face. i screamed, thus dropping my regulator. i had my secondary in front of me, so problem solved. had to pull a dive knife to cut my way out of the weeds to the surface.

another time some idiot drove a d 6 cat into a lake. we were under the ripper blades on the back trying to attach a cable to pull it out. about sic inch visability. that is when i started to wonder why i was doing this for free for the county.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I'm thinking of taking my advanced next, they have just a deep water but the advanced gets you more training. It's not easy in the middle of Montana though laugh .

So what can you do for local diving?
How deep can you get in some of the crystal clear lakes before you run out of light for visibility.

I'm assuming you can suit-up to ward off the cold temps, is that a poor assumption?

The area in Tally Lake where we catch the monster Lakers is about 40ft deep, it's up closer to the boat ramp, the far end is way too deep to dive at 450 feet of depth.
I'd love to get down there and see what there is to see at that 40 ft level.
Tally Lake has warmer water by late summer but tends to be darker colored due to high levels of Tannins, is any of it doable?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,402 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.