Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Buck and ball out of a side by side. Idea is intriguing. I remember an article in Double Gun Journal about just such a gun. Can't remember when it was, some time ago and I'm old, memory fades. Dan, for pigs do you think the .72 ball has any advantage over a standard slug? Any recommendation for a 12 bore buck load for swine? Have only shot 3 but with a rifle, how far you shooting them down your way?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Good questions that I can reply to with a little bit of a foundation. laugh

I've used slugs, 20 & 12 bore on pigs and the result has been indistinguishable. Boom-whop-flop. Longest shot of this nature was about 50-60 yards with the 20 ga. I have killed several tons of pigs with #3 buck using an Ithaca 37 and note they all had to be shot at least once. None required a second shot, but over the course of time I killed 3 with a single shot on three occasions due to the shot passing thru the primary target and visiting horror upon those in the background. I'm not talking wee little piggies either.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That said, one of the things noted over time was that Forster slugs NEVER exited. Buckshot did. I suspect that a .72" ball would zip thru a hog like light thru the solar system, though alloy mix of the ball would likely have influence on the outcome.

I also relate that the only hogs I ever had to shoot twice with buckshot had been perforated by my 12 ga using the world famous and immensely popular 00 version. I haven't owned or shot any of that since those events occurred back around the mid '90's.

Cover down this way, meaning most of the SE is typically close in bottom country which is where I do most of my pig whacking. Shots are typically in the 15-30 yard range though some trend a little bit further if the right style of weapon is in your hands. I don't use buck much beyond 35 yards and my longest rifle shot (.30-30) on a pig was about 50 yards. Doesn't mean I wouldn't take a longer shot, but such opportunities are not common in bottom country.

In more recent times I've been using .22 CCI CB shorts with a T/C Contender. Longest shot was a measured 38 yards. Only one out of about 150 required a second shot.

Sneaky Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Foster slugs are hollow shells of soft lead (which you know). Typically they flatten out or the skirts peel off of the nose. Deadly on lung shots, but bone (and presumeably gristle) are hard on them. If I ever hunt with a shotgun again, it'll be with Brennekes or the imported steel ones. Have some of both to try in my 20ga Deerslayer, just for fun so far.

BTW, I was re-reading an old piece by Layne Simpson on shooting cap and ball revolvers. He wrote that he has shot a bunch of pigs with various models and doubts that conicals penetrate any better than RBs, in close anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I played with buck and ball loads in my Brown Bess many years ago. Can't verify the load's effectiveness on pigs but can say they were pretty effective against closed ranks of Redcoats.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pigs is pigs, I see a new excursion on the horizon. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Looking forward to hearing about it! I built a 458 Socom with pigs in mind, but it's pretty modern, lol! Might start looking for a 10 bore double. Just picked up some more Goex too.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I have one and would be interested in feedback.

Having evolved to a notable state of Looneyism I have, as many of you know, undertaken a few projects slightly outside the box, and find myself in a curious circumstance. My shotguns shoot proper patterns with the shot of choice, and the rifles in my collection shoot quite well. Translated, that means they are boring me, not because of mediocrity, but because there is no place left to go with them. I have a few handguns and they will, on demand, shoot minute of jerk. So, what's next? I draw a blank. I load the scatterguns, rifles and pistols, cast bullets and even load a .45 caplock pistol with rice now and then for the purpose of eradicating pesky lizards. Yes, I use a wad and Lord Black. I shoot straight black and sometimes duplex loads in the Quigley rifles and they all shoot quite well.

Of late I have been considering the use of small capacity cases to shoot .30 cal round balls. Something like the .32 S&W or .32 Short Colt for example.

I'm bored and need suggestions. You have any pet projects, goals, innovations and such that bear consideration?

Well OK then......

I suggest YOU/we hunt pigs....... 'sportingly'

I have made us a couple of 'weapons'

They're about 5' long......

If we're going to hunt like MEN, I suggest we keep a Safe Hunting Distance SHD apart of about 10' minimum....

If we're going to hunt like Social Justice Warriors, throw and run, then I suggest maybe SHD of 25'

Back to hunting like MEN, I think we should wear metal or Schedule 40 PVC 'leggings' of some sort, I'll leave that to you.

So we throw out some corn, wait for the piggies to show and 'wade' in.

If you're worried maybe we could get JeffA, frogman43 or maybe another CF local looney to back us up with a real firearm, 'course we would need to see them shoot under pressure before trusting our lives to them...

Are you THAT bored????

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Only half the day.

Realistically I was poking around looking for a shooting project, and think a proper idea is on the table. BP buck’n ball from the 12 bore DAMascus! Brass shells in the way!

Spears are cool though, too bad my name ain’t Chucker. They might even work on lizards. Lemme work out this B&B thing and I got your 6 when you go pig huntin’.

I am..........disturbed.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
muffin, complete with loin clothe? Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Could be this young fella has a first rate close range bacon maker. My mind is running riot on what could be done on the cheap with a Parker, Fox or LC.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (8MMX57JS, Akhutr, ak_Rick, 9 invisible), 921 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,101
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.