Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by deflave
The post office doesn't ask what it is.

The UPS and FEDEX does.

FALSE

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

I have never been asked by the USPS what I was shipping.

I have been asked by UPS and FEDEX.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by KenMi
Yes, you can ship an item to yourself from one residence to another. He can be the shipper and receiver.

Pretty hard to ship from yourself when you are in another state...

Really?

Yes.

I’d think these rules would hinge on a legal definition of shipper.

Is the shipper the person or entity who arranges for the shipment, or he who pays for shipping or he who is listed as the shipper on shipping documents?

Is the shipper simply the owner ?

Under the UCC the “shipper” is a person that enters into a contract of transportation with a carrier..

In the case of shipping a firearm without an FFL must the consignor also be the consignee, must the consignee also be the shipper, must the consignor be the consignee and the shipper?

According to the USPS is the mailer equivalent to shipper?

USPS:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

ATF:
May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

You can google-fu all you want.

I'm just trying to help the OP with his question.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Clearly.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In Portlandopolis it was common to be asked, based upon box shape and destination address, if the parcel was a firearm at the USPS. "Yes, an unloaded long-gun in full compliance with the mailing rules and regulations, " turned out to be the best answer for all involved. Saying GFY was not helpful. One regular teller, a veteran, demanded I answer yes, potentially hazardous but not in it's current unloaded state, it is an unloaded long-gun .in compliance etc....... This was right after a high profile mass shooting and it wasn't in anyone's best interest to argue really.

How often is someone prosecuted for slight errors? Can you sometimes do it without signature service? Is it OK to lie like a common criminal? We all make our choices. Doing my best to be in compliance is a choice and fairly easy to do. I don't want to be the guy making a fuss with a firearm in a post office. Getting old I guess.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Clearly in care of someone else is OK. Ship it!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of bad advice here. Yes you can ship it. No you can't ship to your brother legally.

The ship to yourself rule allows you to ship your firearm to yourself for your own use, the firearm not being transferred into the possession of another. Say I'm planning a SD pheasant hunt. I can lawfully ship my shotgun to myself in care of the outfit I booked with. Typically the package is held for you unopened so a "transfer" cannot be claimed.

The prohibition is the transfer of a firearm crossing state lines to a non-licensee, transfer being physical possession So technically leaving the firearm with you constituted an illegal transfer. Not that any agent in his right mind would waste his time with such a trivial and innocent matter. But don't compound the matter bu using a subterfuge to effect a transfer back to him.

Per firearms law anybody can ship to a license holder. Easiest thing is to have your FFL ship to his FFL and for a few bucks extra not have to worry about it.

This will all be somewhere on the ATF site. Probably you can suss it out from the Q&A page. Good luck with the Post Office or common carrier's site. Last time the postmaster said no, I handed her their own regulations, she called somewhere and eventually said yes. Much easier to use your FFL who has already been through all that.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Lots of bad advice here. Yes you can ship it. No you can't ship to your brother legally.

The ship to yourself rule allows you to ship your firearm to yourself for your own use, the firearm not being transferred into the possession of another. Say I'm planning a SD pheasant hunt. I can lawfully ship my shotgun to myself in care of the outfit I booked with. Typically the package is held for you unopened so a "transfer" cannot be claimed.

The prohibition is the transfer of a firearm crossing state lines to a non-licensee, transfer being physical possession So technically leaving the firearm with you constituted an illegal transfer. Not that any agent in his right mind would waste his time with such a trivial and innocent matter. But don't compound the matter bu using a subterfuge to effect a transfer back to him.

Per firearms law anybody can ship to a license holder. Easiest thing is to have your FFL ship to his FFL and for a few bucks extra not have to worry about it.

This will all be somewhere on the ATF site. Probably you can suss it out from the Q&A page. Good luck with the Post Office or common carrier's site. Last time the postmaster said no, I handed her their own regulations, she called somewhere and eventually said yes. Much easier to use your FFL who has already been through all that.

Neither MT nor AK has a problem with transfers sans paperwork. Suggesting there is anything wrong there is ridiculous. Adding the family element crosses a whole new level...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Be gentle with night bird, he's had a ruff weekend.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Neither MT nor AK has a problem with transfers sans paperwork. Suggesting there is anything wrong there is ridiculous. Adding the family element crosses a whole new level...

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State? Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides...
ATF - Top 10 Frequently Asked Firearms Questionsand Answers

I believe the issue of what constitutes a transfer came up most recently regarding loaning guns. I beleive there is an ATF ruling published but that was some time ago. It has become irrelevant to me and ran out my ears to make room for more trivia. Went something like OK to lend at a trap range because the owner has control over the firearm. Compare loaning a firearm to a guy who goes to hunt somewhere away from you.

Disclaimer: I once made a declarative statement. The prof said, "How do you know?" I said, "I remember reading it." He ended the matter when he said, "How do you know you've remember correctly?" So rely at your own risk. Why lawyers do research. write briefs, and charge money.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Be gentle with night bird, he's had a ruff weekend.

To the contrary. I am amenable to changing my opinion IF a rational case can be made. On those threads nobody did. I don't care if people call me names. Reverting to ad hominem attack is universally considered a tacit surrender.

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It is easier for me to read english if you write english. WHAT ??

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by nighthawk

This^^^ Why take the chance, pay the transfer fee. ship to a FFL.

From the ATF Q&A Page: I was looking specifically st the Post Office. Fed Ex and UPS seem to have their own rules which are on a fly wheel and it just depends on where that wheel stops or who you ask. They don't know their own policy. Once told me they couldn't ship a scope because it was part of a firearm!!!

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
One could always contact the ATF directly and seek clarification on the matter. You don't have to guess or gamble.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.