Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If coming into the lower 48 (Montana/North Dakota) would I be able to purchase a firearm with my Alaskan I.D.

...for obvious reasons

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Anybody

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons Questions - atf.gov

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've never been able to get a clear answer. I know when I spent a winter in Arizona the dealers had a list of states whose residents they wouldn't sell to because the buyer's state of residence prohibited it. I've had local dealers here tell me they won't sell to residents of most states because they don't want the hassle of checking to see if it's legal. I've had others tell me that they rely on this state's BCI to tell them. This state requires a state background check for purchase.

Sorry I can't offer anything more definitive.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons Questions - atf.gov

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

That's the tricky part. As I understand it, the purchaser's state of residence can put the kibosh on it.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 05/31/20.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
The OP said "firearm". The definition of which is important.

No, you can not legally purchase a handgun outside of your state of residence.

You can legally purchase long guns across state lines, if such is not contrary to state law in your state of residence and the state of purchase. As others have stated, you may have problems finding an FFL to make the sale in some locations.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done it several times with rifles and there was no hesitation by the gun shops. My son got denied the ability to purchase a single barrel shotgun to rebuild at Trinidad State while at a gunshow in Colorado. I explained the situation to the owner, he went over to talk with a BATFE agent and came back and said that he could buy it. Owner was polite about it, just uninformed and said as much.

Harry
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Long gun, YES. Handgun, NO. You have to reside in the state you buy the handgun in unless you buy one face to face from a private party. If it comes from an FFL dealer then you need to be a state resident.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I live in Wyoming but have purchased several long guns in Arizona with no questions whatsoever.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I'm thinking long arm not handgun.
Probably shotgun.

Thanks for the responses.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jnyork
I live in Wyoming but have purchased several long guns in Arizona with no questions whatsoever.

That's because both Arizona and Wyoming are cool with the transaction. When I spent a winter in Phoenix I bought a gun off Gunbroker from a seller in Michigan. The FFL in Arizona had to check to make sure it was legal for me as an Iowa resident to take possession in Arizona. The local Walmart had a sign with a list of states whose residents they couldn't sell to. Point is, federal law defers to states on these interstate transactions, as I highlighted in an earlier post.

Just because it was legal for you as a Wyoming resident or me as an Iowa resident doesn't mean it is OK for every state's residents..

Paul

Which, of course, means it's BS when anti-gun politicians claim that you can go to a state with "weak gun laws" and load up on guns they couldn't buy at home.

Last edited by Paul39; 05/31/20.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Bought handguns in Ky.
Ffl transfer paper work by seller and 4473/background check at pickup ffl in tn.
Cost 25 bucks.
Clarksville is on the tn/ ky stateline.
Common everyday transactions here.

Long guns 4473/ background check in ky,take home to tn.

Commie state,s probably way fugging more complicated.

Last edited by renegade50; 05/31/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358wsm
If coming into the lower 48 (Montana/North Dakota) would I be able to purchase a firearm with my Alaskan I.D.

...for obvious reasons

No problem in MT or ND by law... just some dealer issues are possible.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'll bet FFL dealers in those two states sell a shipload of rifles and shotguns to residents of other states, being as popular as they are as hunting destinations. I always check out the good gun stores when I travel West and have picked up a few myself.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Should be no problem as long as the selling dealership will do it. The outdoors store/gas station in Carrington ND would not sell me one a few years ago. Said something about not having a presence in both states. I'm pretty sure he was wrong, but it's his store, so he can sell to who ever he wants. When I lived up in AK (2002-2008), I never had an issue back in ND.

As to the handgun issue, you can technically buy in another state. You just can't take possession of it until it goes through (by being shipped to) an FFL in your home state. If the store selling the handgun doesn't want to ship to your home state dealer, you are out of luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 66 invisible), 3,337 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,479
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.