Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Been doing some tweaking on the Winchester I bought last month

Lapped the Bolt and the Barrel
Removed the old Weaver Mounts, also in case you didn't know Kroil is the best penetrating oil known to man smile
Finally found a Burris 1 Piece TruMount for it in Gloss Black with the Burris Signature rings to match, I have liked that system since it came out.
Got the scope re-mounted and leveled, actually found my original B-Square Reticle Leveling tool, that thing works so easily
Butler Creek was quick with my order for Flip-up lens caps and the new Alaskan Sling has a longer strap so I have more options for the type of carrying

Found Reloader 17 locally along with the way inexpensive Speer Hot-Cor 200 gr bullets for fire-forming the new Brass
One store here had the Barnes TTSX 210 grain bullets that is my choice for an all-around load for this rifle assuming I can get them to group..

So far everything with this rifle purchase and re-fit has gone better than I could have hoped for..

Now I need to get a new shooting bench built for the new range I put in

I searched the serial number on the rifle found it was made in 1985
Marketed as a Model 70 XTR Sporter Magnum that came with the Black/Gray Laminate stock,..
When I bought it the previous owner had already had a Muzzle Brake put on and the rifle was bedded, which saved me from having to do both :p

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Never ever throw away extra parts hehehe I found a blind screw to fit the extra hole left from the old Weaver Mounts in my parts bin

Getting closer to having it ready for this coming season

Slaying Orcs
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
fine looking rig. perfect for alaska, and one heck of a elk rifle. i'll bet it's accurate too.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Working up loads now, I fired 3 tests rounds I had left over from my old M77 and was on a 9 inch plate at 100 yards after a Bore sight I have high hopes smile

Slaying Orcs
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle, but you threw out a good set of mounts for a weaker set-up. I'd go with Leupold DD's personally.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nice rifle, but you threw out a good set of mounts for a weaker set-up. I'd go with Leupold DD's personally.
I am also a fan of Double Dovetails for overall strength but I am more of a fan of Burris..Finding the older Gloss black mounts and rings is getting harder. I do also like the ability to zero mount the scope using only the base and the rings leaving the scope's adjustment in the center for only Tweaking. I have never had an issue with the Burris set up myself so I will stick with them

Slaying Orcs
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

You hit the “ trifecta”.....great firearm, great cartridge, and a great bullet! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/31/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.