-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking for a good quality old school waxed canvas rifle case for a scoped custom rifle that is soon to arrive.

Nothing weird size wise. 23" bbl with 2.5-8 scope.

A nice rifle gets a nice case! ......... Any suggestions?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Boyt has a nice one. Cabelas has a knock off version which is not quite as nice. LL Bean and Midway also, I think these are all imports. Orvis not sure, Duluth and Filson are US made. King Ranch has a nice one. There are sort of two types: the gun sleeve and more of a hard case. I like the harder finish Like Filson Tin Cloth as it is more protective and doesn't attract dust as much as the softer ones. Be sure that the lining is breathable like fabric or fleece.

I also like ones with an internal fiberglass rod so they are not floppy. A shoulder strap is handy as are outside cartridge pockets. Look for a big sized zipper, I like heavy duty brass but others like a YKK nylon ones as there is less chance to scratch the gun. I have several and I think if I get any others I will skip the first and second price point models and go from there. At some point you can get a leather case for the price of the top tier canvas ones. But canvas will breath better.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
SKB Canvas cases are nice, the problem is finding one. Next up is the Boyt plantation model in tan.

Plantation

Runner up - Canvas Case

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 05/30/20.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Maybe profit from my mistake...Not sure about the wax coating. I had some kind of US GI surplus ridiculously well made rifle bag/case. At the time it looked the final answer for tying on a pack mule. I had a saddlemaker make some changes to it and then liberally treated it with Sno-Seal...after that it obviously collected dust (no problem) but it seemed, in damp frosty weather, to collect moisture on the INSIDE. Still haven't figured that out, but wish I'd left it alone.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Flintlocke if you can wash it it will remove the Snow Seal and then you can re-proof it with a good Beeswax or commercial formula. Maybe just a soak or hand wash in hot water would do it. I over waxed a bedroll and threw it into a commercial dryer with some burlap bags, it reduced the wax back to a dry finish, would have taken more off if I had run it longer.

Inside moisture can occur when you put a cold rifle in the case and condensation forms. Not sure if in the case it will get cold enough for this to happen, maybe in real cold weather.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
SKB Canvas cases are nice, the problem is finding one. Next up is the Boyt plantation model in tan.

Plantation

Runner up - Canvas Case

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I like the handle style on that Boyt Plantation.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If anyone had one like that or similar F/S, I'd be interested.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Morning sir. Check eBay. You can find them there for a discounted price. Also Amazon Prime has them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Plantation is a cut above the other Boyt model mentioned. I got several for a very good price at Sierra Trading Post, but it is really hit and miss when they might have these again. The factory seconds come up for sale occasionally and these usually only have minor stitching irregularities no major problems.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the Midway waxed case which has a velour-like lining. Bought it thinking it would do a good job protecting what's inside. I had a rifle in the case in the house at deer camp. It was only in there for 3 days. I had the rifle wiped down in a light film with CLP. I put the rifle in the case and it must have removed the film of CLP on the barrel. When I pulled it out days later, the barrel had already begun to rust.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would never leave a gun in any gun case for longer than the transit time. Never ends well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 10 invisible), 1,665 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.