Print Thread
Hop To
#14935132 06/02/20
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I recently picked up a Springfield 1911 SS Loaded Combat. Originally a 9mm, it has also been fitted with a Nowlin 38 Super barrel. For reasons I can’t explain the ergonomics of the Springfield feel noticeably different than my Colts. I don’t think it’s just the extended safety though that has to go. Have any of you who have owned both the Colt and Springer noticed much difference in the feel? To me the Colt has a much more trim and clean feel. I’d appreciate hearing from you all.

Dave

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Does the Colt wear slim grips?

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Neither Colt does. I prefer the standard thickness grips. It may all be in my head which is why I thought I’d ask.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Compare the places where the front strap meets the trigger guard and the shape of the grip safety. Lots of times the frames there are modded so the gun sits in your hand a bit differently.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beaver tail? Some have them some do not. Very different feel for myself. I also prefer a humped mainspring housing to the flat style. Those are the normal differences to "feel"

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Colts have a different radius on the frontstrap than does Kimbers, Springfields and some of the other 1911 makers. If you compare them (resting the slides on a table side-by-side) look at the frontstrap radius, that will tell the tale. Anything other than Colts feel "funny" to me, after decades using the Colts. Yes, you CAN feel the difference, it makes Springfields feel like they have more depth than Colts. Same for Essex frames, too.

It's a little thing, just a radius cut, but it sure makes them feel different in my hands.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Beaver tails, grips, & mainspring housing affect grip feel of 1911's.

But, for a time S.A. used frames that were different from Colts & others. I can't say they weren't mil spec because I don't know those dimensions. The front strap & the dust shield had a different radius than most, & IMO is wrong. I call them the square ones & they don't even fit well into a kydex type holster that was molded proper. S.A. has used both, Colt or mil spec proper & the others. For the life of me, I don't see Kimbers as being different from Colt. I don't have radius gauges, but for this subject alone,I wish I did. Needless to say, I'v been curious.

I have smaller hands & avoid the hell out of the square S.A.'s. But that's just me.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I don't know how many times I've had customers looking at cheaper 1911s ask to hold a more expensive one and immediately exclaim "this one feels a lot better".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The Colts have a different radius on the frontstrap than does Kimbers, Springfields and some of the other 1911 makers. If you compare them (resting the slides on a table side-by-side) look at the frontstrap radius, that will tell the tale. Anything other than Colts feel "funny" to me, after decades using the Colts. Yes, you CAN feel the difference, it makes Springfields feel like they have more depth than Colts. Same for Essex frames, too.

It's a little thing, just a radius cut, but it sure makes them feel different in my hands.

This

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
The crazy thing is that it’s a helluva nice pistol and very well set up. I’m going to look at the front strap radius and measure a few things. I’ll try to do a bit more comparing as best I can.

IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My Colt was under cut at the trigger guard, my Springfield is not. That alone makes a difference to me.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OldRooster
I recently picked up a Springfield 1911 SS Loaded Combat. Originally a 9mm, it has also been fitted with a Nowlin 38 Super barrel. For reasons I can’t explain the ergonomics of the Springfield feel noticeably different than my Colts. I don’t think it’s just the extended safety though that has to go. Have any of you who have owned both the Colt and Springer noticed much difference in the feel? To me the Colt has a much more trim and clean feel. I’d appreciate hearing from you all.

Dave

The front strap round is more abrupt with the Springfield than with the Colt.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by K1500
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

This

Yep.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I did what measurements I could. They were virtually identical on the Colt GM and Springer. However, it is readily apparent that the front strap radius on the Springfield is wider than the Colt, more of a half circle vs. the elliptical shape on the Colt.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Measurements virtually identical but but FS radius is wider than the Colt ?

Then dimensions are not identical. FS radius differences change overall grip circumference numbers.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
gunzo - you are correct.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2 or 3 years ago I bought a Baer and have pretty much hated it because of how different it feels from every other 1911 I've owned (Colt, DW, STI, RIA, Para). I tried three different sets of grips with different profiles, tried some minor modifications to the grip safety. No joy. Basically I never shot it because of it. I regretted buying it.

A month ago I said the hell with it, broke out the diamond laps and the rotor tool and went to town on the front and the rear. It still doesn't feel like the other guns, but at least it doesn't feel awkward and downright uncomfortable like it used to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gold Cups have a great feel for me & feel a little different than other Colt models; Wilson Combat all fits my feel extremely well too.

The grips, the front strap radius, any undercut & the type of beavertail generally have the most influence on feel. The cut / shape of the mainspring housing also has some influence.

Different folks have different preferences, to others, it doesn't matter so much.

MM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,998 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.