Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've been using my Lee Auto Prime since 1981. It's all I've ever used so I don't know any better. I lost the parts for small primers so I bought a new Lee. I've got the new one rigged for small primers and the old one set up for large. Unless I lose or break something I'm not changing or buying anything else. They work good enough.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Gringo,

It’s the old version round tray. Why I’m tired of messing with it is it WILL NOT fully seat a primer in any caliber! I have to finish seating the primer on my Rock Chucker. I may as well use the RC to start with. I have noticed the LEE shell holders are very sloppy and allows the shells to move up while seating primers. I have 2 or 3 shell holders for the calibers I use it for the most and all are sloppy! PITA!

Basically sums up my frustration!

I’m getting ready to load up a few hundred 223 Rems with 50gr. V-Max bullets for an upcoming prairie outing!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks Elk Country. It's good to have options and seems like folks are happy with several other priming tools. If my old Lee starts to give me problems, I'll look at some of them. Let us know what you go with and how it works out for you.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Grin go,

Will do. Kinda leaning towards the Frankfurt Arsenal tool right now but still checking the others out!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by elkcountry
All,

I'm tired of my CHEAP LEE hand priming tool and decided it's time for an upgrade! I know there are quite a few out there to choose from.

Not interested in any of the bench mounted versions with priming strips, just a nice hand priming tool for smaller 50-100 round lots of ammo from time to time.

ANY advice, good or bad, is appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Elk Country

I have worn out those puny RCBS tools with metal fatigue and the handle breaking in two.
Bough a Hornady, took the plastic tray off it and use it in its basic form. This one is clunky and built like a tank but I'll never wear it out. Had it maybe 25 years or a bit more. Just a piece of milled bar stock and the handle slides in an elongated mortise and changing shell holders is a simple clip in and clip out with thumb pressure. Great tool.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The finest hand priming tool available is connected to your torso.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I have looked at the Hornady tool and it is on my short list of possibilities! May run to the local Scheel’s and play with a few before deciding!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had both versions of the RCBS and replaced them with the Hornady which I've used for quite a few years. My only issue with the Hornady is that sometimes primers will either tip on there side or completely flip over while feeding from the tray. If you catch it before attempting to seat the primer, it's no big deal but seating a primer tipped on edge is a real bitch getting the case out of the unit. I recently bought a Frankford Arsenal and it's far superior to the others I've used. You could'nt pay me to touch a Hornady again...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own 4 Lee hand prime tools

All set up for different primer size and different shell holders

They work great

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I use the LEE HP Tool for '06 size cases and a Sinclair International for Magnums. The Sinclair has shims that can be removed in order to seat primers fully. Love it.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (7887mm08, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 35, 69sportfury, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,517
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.