Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by logcutter
Heck,I think a good dog is as important as anything..Takes the element of surprise away...Then you have time to get the fire power needed...lol

Absolutely.

My first line of defense. My dog is not allowed to sleep upstairs with the family at night. Her job is to hear [bleep] and bark. House alarm is second line of defense. Hopefully this will give me enough time to wake up and reach over to grab a gun. Same for wife and kids.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by renegade50
Love threads like this!!!!!

20" barrel full butt stock Pump 12 ga and 4 buck for a cherry.
Ammo and practice with bird shot low fps stuff at 1st
Progress up to big boy loads they can handle.
Ammo and practice
Ammo and practice
Ect ect ect.
Everyone starts somewhere
Some wayyy younger, some waaaay older.

Get some training classes
Or have a competent mentor.

Then the cherry stem sticking outta their head gets a little shorter as they gain experience.
And Upgrade to other rigs possibly.

JMO...
Just like all others on here.

Seriously? What part of novice got by you? They’re not gonna practice. They’re not gonna take a training class. They don’t want a gun in the first place. They’re gonna sell whatever they buy six months from now anyway.

DAO revolver. As simple as it gets.

And happy birthday.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by logcutter
Heck,I think a good dog is as important as anything..Takes the element of surprise away...Then you have time to get the fire power needed...lol

Absolutely.

My first line of defense. My dog is not allowed to sleep upstairs with the family at night. Her job is to hear [bleep] and bark. House alarm is second line of defense. Hopefully this will give me enough time to wake up and reach over to grab a gun. Same for wife and kids.

Someone walks on the street in front of my house and I know it, any time of day or night.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TomT
I never could understand why people want to buy firearms to protect themselves (at home or out in the world), but DO NOT want to take the time to become proficient with the firearm. It's like buying a car, and saying you don't want to learn to drive. INFURIATING to someone that works behind the counter at a gun shop.

While I keep a handgun at home for personal defense (I also shoot about 400 rds a week), I find "non-gun people" generally buy shotguns for home defense. That said, a loaded, unlocked shotgun is dangerous to leave around (children, grandchildren, etc), and a unloaded shotgun is useless at 2am, and most newbies would NOT be able to quickly load after just after waking up, under pressure (home invasion). For that reason, i've become a big fan of rapid safes, for safe, loaded shotgun storage, especially for those that don't take the time to become proficient with their weapon. YMMV. -TomT

Rapid safe (shotgun version):

https://www.hornadysecurity.com/rapid-safes/shotgun-wall-lock#!/

Do they make a “quickie safe” that you put your c.ock and balls on top to open? It’d have to be a real big one for me. 😂

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by deflave
Yes I've had this happen recently.

The first thing I ask is if they are going to vote for Trump or Biden this November. If they laugh at the notion of voting for Trump, I laugh at the notion of helping them with their firearm question.

But, barring that they're not retards, I tell them the truth. Start with a 10/22. Learn to shoot, and keep it handy with at least two 10 round mags. If they want to advance from that, they should. However if you're going to have one gun in the house and one gun to let the whole family learn to use for all around purposes, that's my choice.

It should stay loaded with CCI Mini-Mags.

Bingo... exactly right

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Agree 100% with deflave on the 10/22. Wifey isnt a novice by far and owns several guns herself as is proficient with them, including an SP101 and LCR in 38, Sig 365 manual safety, Shield EZs in 9 and 380, a 20ga Mossberg 500 and a carbine length AR and has shot many of mine as well. But her favorite is her purple laminate youth stocked 10/22 that wears a Leupold red dot. She is DAMN accurate with it too. Has a 25 round mag in it loaded with CCI Velocitors and has 2 additional 25's and a 15 loaded and ready to go in the drawer. Leans in corner on her side of bed next to nightstand that contains her 365 with a 12rd mag of147gr HSTs and a spare 15rd mag loaded with same.

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Lots of great replies, thanks.

10-22 is intriguing, and can say a 10-22 with CCI Stingers was my first self defense gun as a teen.

Coachgun is also something I hadnt thought of, portable and easy to load.

(PS. All three are staunch Trump voters, although one wife is suspect)

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreeing with a 10/22s.
You Need to get familiar with guns. Plus it’s cheap and no recoil, besides the action. And 30 round Mags.
Anyone who says 22 is too weak, I will demonstrate on you what a 22 in chest will do to you.
And honestly, soon as you shoot back, most of these punk as* bit*hes will run off.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they are worried about rampaging gangs of BLM and ANTIFA then a shotgun isn’t the best weapon. An AR in .223 with varmint rounds and plenty of large cap magazines would be the best solution IMHO. They

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I don't know anyone that I can think of who doesn't own a gun. I have been asked by people from work. I always recommend a pump shotgun or metal frame 9mm pistol.

I don't think those are the best choices, but they're the best most would actually buy. Better than a Glock at least. I always tell people Glocks are why cops can't hit anything and to not buy one unless they are willing to practice a lot.

I’ve read each post in order. I stopped at yours only because I’m sure someone has already quoted your post as absolute fûck’n garbage, and they would be correct.

If no one has quoted you...I apologize. They should have.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I don't know anyone that I can think of who doesn't own a gun. I have been asked by people from work. I always recommend a pump shotgun or metal frame 9mm pistol.

I don't think those are the best choices, but they're the best most would actually buy. Better than a Glock at least. I always tell people Glocks are why cops can't hit anything and to not buy one unless they are willing to practice a lot.

I feel sorry for anybody that believes you know WTF you're talking about.

See...Someone already did.

No apology needed.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Handguns are very sorry substitutes for rifles or shotguns.

Agree with this 100%

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Watch Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury, The way of the dragon, Game of death and Enter the dragon watch and watch again.. Practice and practice more before you know it you will be just as lethal as Bruce Lee..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm the gun guy that my EX BiL turns to in times of potential civil unrest, the last time was a possible hurricane event that went elsewhere.

That time and this I loaned him a 20 ga. double shotgun because its what I have on had and it is simple to understand.

In the decades when my Ex and son were in the house the home defense gun kept at hand was a 3" S&W Mod 60 loaded with .38 PlusP ammo.

That was the handgun they learned to shoot handguns with and again it was easy to operate under stress.

I still recall when I was in high school in NY State the neighbor's kid showing me his father's revolver which his father thought was "hidden". In NY State at that time, given the gun laws, handguns were objects of note, ya just didn't see one every day.

To the best of my knowledge my son never pulled that stunt, but if he ever did at least with a revolver you can see its loaded when you pick it up, plus my Ex always wanted to leave the Glock 19 chamber-empty.

The home defense scenarios I anticipated, if they were to happen, would be inside-the-house with little warning, at across-the-room distances.

I do agree a 10-22 would be a good place to begin for total newbies.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from img.memecdn.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
To the OP, I question the wisdom of them buying a firearm to defend themselves if they are embarrassed by the idea of even owning one, how are they going adopt the right attitude when they have a home invasion if that’s their attitude now? if you go down stairs when you hear a bump in the night without being in a combat ready mindset any self respecting crim is gonna bitch slap you/kick your butt before they kill you with your own gun, it would be hard enough for someone who already has a proper attitude and is comfortable with and well practiced with firearms, especially if you’ve just woken up, you’re in your PJs with no shoes on and it’s pitch black, you should really pressure them into getting some serious training, and not just target shooting but self defence type training where they get put under stress, with repetitive handling and manipulation drills to get really comfortable and safe with the weapon I mean how many videos are there of cops falling apart under pressure and they are totally useless, can’t hit anything despite being “trained professionals “ rant over.

Last edited by mauserator; 06/03/20.
C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mauserator
To the OP, I question the wisdom of them buying a firearm to defend themselves if they are embarrassed by the idea of even owning one, how are they going adopt the right attitude when they have a home invasion if that’s their attitude now? if you go down stairs when you hear a bump in the night without being in a combat ready mindset any self respecting crim is gonna bitch slap you/kick your butt before they kill you with your own gun, it would be hard enough for someone who already has a proper attitude and is comfortable with and well practiced with firearms, especially if you’ve just woken up, you’re in your PJs with no shoes on and it’s pitch black, you should really pressure them into getting some serious training, and not just target shooting but self defence type training where they get put under stress, with repetitive handling and manipulation drills to get really comfortable and safe with the weapon I mean how many videos are there of cops falling apart under pressure and they are totally useless, can’t hit anything despite being “trained professionals “ rant over.

Cant really disagree with any of this. Ive encouraged them to make the trip here to be shown at least the fundamentals of loading, handling, and proper mindset.

A self defense course with live handling would be great...with the caveat that I have listened to a lot of self proclaimed defense experts who have never fired a shot in anger and whos "expert" opinions are pretty suspect.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Black rifle.

is anything better on a scale of effective/easy to shoot?

Ever take a novice and have them shoot a bunch of guns. They will prefer the AR15 rifle or 22LR over 9mm pistols and shotguns.

Sean
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SeanD
Black rifle.

is anything better on a scale of effective/easy to shoot?

For you and me, perhaps. Will a novice maintain them in a serviceable condition? Will they, at the worst possible moment, drop out the magazine when they meant to release the bolt?

Much better to give them a good, four inch, K-Frame, double-action-only revolver, stoked with premium .38 Special, and an external-hammer side-by-side 12 gauge, stoked with turkey loads. Someone breaks in, and they stuff the K-Frame in their pocket, grab the shotgun and cock the hammers. Nothing safer and simpler, and more than effective enough at room distances.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I’ve never had to defend myself or others in a domestic invasion type situation, but have had guns pulled on me twice, once by a drunk guy, once by a cop, not something I ever want to repeat, but I have been in situations like bar brawls (I worked in a few bars when I was young) and had a knife pulled on me once on the train on the way home from work of all places, that’s why I was saying that being in the right mindset is so important, probably even more than the physical/motor skills, I’ve experienced first hand how you can react completely differently in quite similar situations and it’s just down to your attitude at the time, that attitude is something that can be trained, some people seem to have it naturally, some people can learn it to varying degrees I don’t consider myself to be one of the ones who has it naturally, but I learned to switch it on when I was younger mostly through boxing and jiu jitsu training, but for me it doesn’t stay strong when I’m not training, I need to be switching it back on regularly to be able to do it when I need it, anyway it sounds like you are pushing them in the right direction, all the best.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.