Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’d like a trigger pull gauge to satisfy my curiosity about how heavy (or light) are the trigger pulls on my guns. A quick internet search tells me I can spend anywhere from $20 to well over $100.

What’s a decent trigger pull gauge that won’t break the bank?

I’m liking my $50 Teslong borescope I purchased based on recommendations from here on the fire, so I figured this is the place to ask about a trigger pull gauge.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a variety of Wagner force gauges for measuing triggers and recoil springs.
They cost too much new, but I get them surplused by industry on Ebay.

$560 new
https://www.radwell.com/Shop?source...lZEw9hRYkfoxchyN3YdPqA_s9VRoCv_sQAvD_BwE

$25 used
https://www.ebay.com/i/333136624383?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I use a Timney spring gauge, which I've tested with check-weights and found pretty darn accurate. It also gets good reviews from various sources, indicating mine is not an aberration. You have to apply it correctly and consistently to obtain repeatable and accurate readings, which can take some practice, but with that caveat it works well enough for most of us.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use five or six 1/2 lb lead weights on a heavy wire hook. Take the bbl action out of the stock and hang those weights on the trigger while making trigger adjustments until it just trips. I usually get the weight to just hang off the trigger and release with a slight touch.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve used a 1st generation Lyman Digital Pull Gauge for years with great success.

2nd gen version is $45 at Opticsplanet, etc.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've had an RCBS Premium for probably 20+ years. Back when I first got it the Highways Weights and Measures was one of our better customers. I asked the boss we dealt with there to check it for me, he said it was pretty much right on the money all the way thru the scale. I assume it still is. Good enough for me.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Recently bought the Wheeler Digital for some trigger jobs on double action pistol triggers. Very happy with it. Have an RCBS mechanical that I replaced.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by shinbone
I’ve used a 1st generation Lyman Digital Pull Gauge for years with great success.

2nd gen version is $45 at Opticsplanet, etc.

+ 1 on the Lyman …. I've had mine around 14 years .

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't expect to get the same reading twice in succession.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've used a Brownells spring trigger gauge for quite a while. It's pretty accurate but adjustable (spring tension) and I calibrate it by hanging a known amount of weight to make sure it's correctly adjusted.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Don't expect to get the same reading twice in succession.

Which gauge are you talking about?

And how much difference are you talking about? +/- an ounce? +/- a pound?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
RCBS gauge for me. I don't care if it might be off an ounce or two, makes no real world difference.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Also must add that many (if not most) triggers will vary some from pull to pull. In my experience how much depends on the trigger than an accurate gauge.

And the most consistent pulls are NOT always modern triggers. In my modest collection, one of the most consistent pulls occurs in a Marlin Model 1893 .32-40, made about a century ago. It breaks at 3 pounds 2 ounces just about every time.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not a gunwriter, however I use a Wheeler Trigger Pull Scale that has been compared to calibration weights in an instrument lab for an ISO 9001 certified company. The lab checks measurement tools to traceable measurement standards.

I also have a digital luggage scale that has been compared to similar calibration weights. I use it to measure overall rifle weight, and pull weights for my archery equipment.

In 20+ years as a research and test engineer, I've never seen simple instruments be so accurate and low cost until the past few years. Prior to that, most low cost spring scales needed to be calibrated before and after the measurement.

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/03/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
RCBS gauge for me. I don't care if it might be off an ounce or two, makes no real world difference.

Same for me. It works perfectly fine..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As JB said, a big factor is using the gauge in a repeatable manner. This includes placing the gauge at the exact same spot on the trigger. I have a Lyman digital.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I adjust triggers to feel right, not to weight. Got curious one evening so I checked the trigger pull with a paper cup, some string, and a box of bullets for weights. Elegant - not. But the price was right for a one time deal and no waiting for delivery.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob338
Recently bought the Wheeler Digital for some trigger jobs on double action pistol triggers. Very happy with it.

Me too. It's so simple even a cave man (me) can use it.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
RCBS premium works for me.

MOLON LABE
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I adjust triggers to feel right, not to weight. Got curious one evening so I checked the trigger pull with a paper cup, some string, and a box of bullets for weights. Elegant - not. But the price was right for a one time deal and no waiting for delivery.

Exactly... I give a damn about some gauge number. I set trigger pull where I know the feel, just before the trigger breaks, and some cushion for cold weather and gloves perhaps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (16penny, 11point, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,003 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.