W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by win7stw
Sent the drawing to Brux and they claim they need a barrel to duplicate it. Seems odd to me

Rock told me the same. Which is why I was searching for a takeoff in the classifieds a while back ...

I will give Bartlein a call later and see what they have to say

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sent the drawing to Brux and they claim they need a barrel to duplicate it. Seems odd to me

Rock told me the same. Which is why I was searching for a takeoff in the classifieds a while back ...

I will give Bartlein a call later and see what they have to say

If they would do that contour in ss I will be shocked (but I’d be in for multiples!)

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
#1 is the reason for a ks contour to fit an existing stock with that taper ?
#2 you like the looks of the contour ?
#3 or you want a lightweight contour ?

if its number three then go with a number #2 taper rock/benchmark/hart/douglas/lilja and you will be at your weight if its number 1 and 2 the the answer is obvious....

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Basically I have always wanted a KS. I found a stock but haven't bought it yet until I can see if I can find a cut rifled barrel.

I am considering going with a different barrel and an AG composites stock.

Last edited by win7stw; 06/03/20.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
what cartridge are you going to build for....if a stainless barrel is wanted you have pretty much eliminated most manufacturers but Rock Creek

IC B2

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by gene270
what cartridge are you going to build for....if a stainless barrel is wanted you have pretty much eliminated most manufacturers but Rock Creek

Why do you say that? Bartlein said they could probably build it but they need to see a drawing. I haven’t heard back from them yet.

Plan on a 25 PRC

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i could be wrong but that is probably to light for them to do a stainless barrel in from what i have seen from them

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Ok I’ll let you guys know tomorrow. I still haven’t received a reply from them

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Fantastic!
Any idea when this was done?
I talked to Dan himself about 6 months ago while trying to find this ... they couldn’t come up with it so ended up ordering from benchmark as they have one courtesy of member gunnut308.
Looks like I need to call Lilja back.

I "think" it has been there for a year or longer. I chose the Lilja RemMtn24 profile for a project 12-15 months ago. The RemMtn24 should finish up just a little lighter than the KS.

Spoke to them this afternoon and the gentleman could only tell me it was added “recently.”
I’ll be able to compare it to an original in ~ 10 weeks.
whistle

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
10 weeks isn’t bad

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Looking forward to seeing your comments. Were you able to get that in stainless?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Fantastic!
I talked to Dan himself about 6 months ago while trying to find this ... they couldn’t come up with it so ended up ordering from benchmark as they have one courtesy of member gunnut308.

I "think" it has been there for a year or longer. I chose the Lilja RemMtn24 profile for a project 12-15 months ago. The RemMtn24 should finish up just a little lighter than the KS.

Spoke to them this afternoon and the gentleman could only tell me it was added “recently.”
whistle

Funny, It popped in my head last night that my print was labeled that and I just looked and verified that the print is indeed the custom contour I did. It is the RemMtn 24 that just finishes at .60 instead of .542. That print is not an original KS, it is very close but not the original. When I talked to Dan I told him what I wanted to duplicate and that would be very close and I guess that is what it ended up being labeled. It is very close and a stock inlet for the Rem Mt rifle contour just needs to be opened up slightly. Super contour IMO, but not the original KS. Explains why they didn’t have it when I called, lol.

P.S. The barrel ended up just a hair over a KS on mine, .610 at 24 inches. As I mentioned earlier my KS is .595 but someone else said theirs was closer to the .610 that this print ended up as at 24 inches.

Last edited by jdunham; 06/04/20.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Looking forward to seeing your comments. Were you able to get that in stainless?

Yes mine is stainless. I am ordering another in 6.5 for a rebarrel on my daughters stainless mountain rifle.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jdunham
My original KS is .595 at the muzzle. My Sporter contours are either .65 or .66 at the muzzle. The magnum contour is beefier but finishes the same as the sporter or close to it.

I just measured my .280 KS and with my cheapo calipers its showing .594-.595. I would bet that depending on each rifle that the muzzle measurement can vary a little bit from barrel to barrel. I've always really liked that contour for a lighter weight hunting rifle.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 06/04/20.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Super contour IMO, but not the original KS.

You are going to force me to break out my calipers yet. grin
Do you recall the differences (excluding muzzle diameter) ?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My two KS 'B' series, measure at: (.280) .575" and the (30-06) .590". Remington advertised .59" for the .270, .280, 30-06 muzzle diameter.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Fantastic!

whistle

It could be a recent addition. I may have compared the RemMtn24 contour to my KS 270. Not sure. Regardless, good luck with your project. Sorry. Cannot help with the 10 week wait.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Super contour IMO, but not the original KS.

You are going to force me to break out my calipers yet. grin
Do you recall the differences (excluding muzzle diameter) ?

The KS has a sharper taper from the shank to its muzzle diameter and gets there quicker then carries that diameter all the way to the muzzle. The one they have listed which is the RemMtn24 that I had custom contoured to finish at .60 is a more gradual taper to the final muzzle diameter before carrying that out to the end. It will be a tad heavier than a KS die to the more gradual taper but I couldn’t say how much. My smith left a bit of shank so mine looks considerably larger side by side but it isn’t really. I am happy with the extra shank and weight as it went on a 30-06 Ti which was more recoil than I cared for before the new tube. I am sure that is not what you are shooting for.
Not sure if that makes any sense. If you make sure your smith doesn’t leave any extra shank it will be very very close to an original KS that finishes close to .60

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Bartlein # 0 contour. I used that on my .257 Roberts build. That contour is available in stainless. My finished bbl is 21.5" and it mics 0.600 on the nose.

Here some pic's https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14940994#Post14940994

PASS IT ON!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last picture is the difference in the taper between the two if the Ti didn't have any shank left like the original KS. The second picture makes the Lilja RemKS look way beefier but it isn't as big as the picture there looks. Hope some of this made sense.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,296 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.