Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
FreeMe Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody here used their slide milling service?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

FreeMe Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nobody?

What about other slide milling providers? Any likes?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
There's a good guy up here in Taylor, MI called ATEI. He started doing milling work on prototype heads/intakes for the auto industry and moved into guns because they were his hobby. Doug is good people.
https://ateiguns.com/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Freeme,

Haven't used Galloway, but will soon maybe (?) as I am going to have them mill my Kahr P45 for a Shield RMSc (?===>waiting for a second RMS as I think I am going to use the one I have on another platform). They have some examples they've done on their webpage and I believe there are some folks at Kahr talk who have been satisfied.

I had Suarez mill a G30 for a Trijicon RMR. No issues, quick, close tolerances (but not so close as to cause an issue), sights co-witness with the suppressor height night sights.

There are a lot of options for Glock milling, a lot less for Kahr's, 1911's, PPQ's etc. If it's a Glock, I would even consider a dedicated pre-milled slide (among others, Brownell's has a few), then if you did not care for the red dot you still have your original pistol and just sell the pre-milled slide.

I've only got around 300 rounds on the gun that I have my RMSc on right now, no issues, 2 to 3 year battery life they claim (I see no need for the battery tray that some of the RMS models have... I'll check the zero and re-sight it in every year after a battery change), auto-adjust just like Trijicon's RMR, so low that you can cowitness with standard sights (vs. suppressor height sights==> I'm OK with both but I already have nice night sights on my Kahr P45). The problem with the RMS's is getting them, had mine back-ordered and two or three months later it finally showed up.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
FreeMe Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
....I am going to have them mill my Kahr P45 for a Shield RMSc...

Funny that you mention that, Jerry, because I'm thinking about doing the same for my K9 Elite - although I haven't settled on which sight. I had been ona search for something that would satisfy me as a replacement for the K9 and comes MRDS ready - but no joy so far. I have special hand needs wink I found the Galloway Precision site by accident and that lead me to thinking I should stick with what I have and shoot well and just upgrade the sight. I am considering buying an extra slide from Kahr though and having them mill that.

If you take the plunge, I'd be really interested in how that works for you.

I see they have a trigger kit that looks interesting too.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FreeMe,

I bought and installed their flat-faced trigger... I prefer it over the factory curved trigger, you may or may not like it? I did not opt for the trigger kit as I like the revolver-like trigger pull.

I may be a little slow on getting my Kahr together. As I need to talk to Kahr customer service about two issues I need to resolve before milling the slide. 1.) the brass has primer swipes on it, which suggests it is either unlocking too early or the firing pin spring is hanging up, and 2.) occasional brass to the forehead.... I shoot left handed and have heard of a few that have had the same issue and Kahr worked with them to resolve it. So I am not worried but I have yet to communicate with them. Plus I have my Shield red dot on another pistol and need to get yet another red dot for my Kahr, I want to get the weatherproof version (RMSw) which they came out with this January and I can not even find it in the U.S. yet (Galloway requests that you send the red dot in with the slide!).

I like my Trijicon RMR (that's on my G30), but the size of the shield is a better fit for smaller pistols like my P45 and Sig P365XL.

I will add that I am not too sure about a red dot on the Sig P365XL... as the Sig's rear sight (and plate) come off to mount a red dot, therefore you have no rear sight. Not an issue for shooting in the day (as the RMSc has a rear sight notch that pretty much co-witnesses with the dot), but I've had it out when it's pitch dark and I struggle to find the red dot. Practice may very well overcome this, but the jury is still out. If the 365XL doesn't work out I may try the SA Hellcat as the red dot mounts in front of the rear sight on that pistol.

FYI I emailed Shield and their RMS, RMSc, and the RMSw all have the same footprint. Also I believe the Doctor Optic and the Sig Romeo Zero all have the same footprint (as the Shield). The Doctor Optic is of polymer construction (vs. the shields aluminum) , and the Romeo Zero is (at least was) hard to locate and was going on gunbroker for around twice the msrp.

Jerry

FreeMe Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good info - thanks!

I like the Elite trigger as is, but I think I'll give the flat trigger a try in my old 1st gen K9.

I am also considering a Shield EZ9 because it seems to work for my hand also. Was thinking when it was on sale a while ago, maybe they were fixin' to bring it out with a dot - but no. Smith seems intent on putting extra holes in the barrel with their dot sighted pistols anyway, which I don't like. Might pick one up if it goes on sale again and have it milled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FreeMe,

IIRC the S&W EZ9 (and .380) have what appears to be the extractor on the top of the slide. Due to that I don't think their is room for a red dot sight.

Jerry

FreeMe Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for pointing that out. I think that's actually just a loaded chamber indicator, but I also think you're right about it being in the way. The owner at the shop where I tried it said we could have a dot sight mounted, but maybe he was assuming removal of the rear sight.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Nobody?

What about other slide milling providers? Any likes?

Jim milks, Innovative custom guns, Altoona Pennsylvania. Excellent pistol Smith.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,637
Posts18,474,408
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.