H
Harold Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H

Hello all -
Let's re-ask the question.
Want a grouse dog for Vermont, NH, and Maine.
Cover can be close - there are no pheasants.
Will probably never hunt ducks or geese.
Dog will be a pet as much as a hunter.
Uninterested in black labs.

Thoughts and comments, please?
Harold

Vermont Constitution: Article 16th. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's my opinion, and as always, it is subject to change without notice. Vermont gets cold, so a dog with a substantial coat is optimal. Grouse and Woodcock (ought to be one word) hold well for pointing dogs and there is a certain ambiance about a handsome setter on point, in a New England grouse covert, with the forest ablaze in fall color. There is nothing that would fulfill this sportsman's fantasy of mine like one or two of those stunning Gordon Setters of Bucktales'. A dream walking, in my opionion.

On the more practical side, a black dog might disappear in some of the dark, tight places I find Ruffies. So an English Setter might be a better choice. The other consideration is your experience with dog training. Pointers are a bit more complicated to train than flushing breeds, so a well bred spaniel is probably the best option if you have never trained a hunting dog before.

I have a young Golden Retriever and he is a pretty good upland dog who puts up birds on our walks. He started doing so with very little training beyond basic obedience and he naturally stays within gun range. Great nose and he quarters naturally. My Golden is a bigger dog than a dedicated Grouse hunter needs, though. Many field bred Goldens top out at 60 lbs. or so, but mine is over 80 in fighting trim. His coat is coarser--and less flowing--than what people imagine when they think of Swamp Collies, and it is self cleaning. One good shake and all the mud flies right off. Much lower maintenance than he looks. A field bred Golden is an easy dog to get along with--if a bit hyper as a youngster--but the dogs are not widely available.

Bottom line: I'd look for a good Springer Spaniel from a strong hunting pedigree. If you ever decide to jump shoot ducks in a beaver pond, a Springer will bring them back, dead or alive. Personally, I wouldn't trust a man who could not love a Sringer Spaniel. They are great family dogs and good hunters. Boykins and American Water Spaniels are good choices, too, though tougher to locate.

If you like a bigger dog, PM me and I'll hook you up with my pup's breeder. She's in northern NY and probably closer to you than to me.

Last edited by wuzzagrunt; 06/19/07. Reason: Add a couple of stray thoughts.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'd look for a good springer or brittany spaniel. I'd look for one from lines that aren't too "energetic" (hunting rather than competition field trial) or at least one that can turn it off at home. Either breed should be great around the house.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Either of those Spaniels is a great choice as well as an English Setter. As you know I'm a bit partial to my Gordons even though they are black. Don't overlook a good hunting stock Red Setter. Not the ones the bench crowd messed up. Tough to find but a fine dog.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bucktales, could you give us some more pics of those beautiful dogs of yours?

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having owned and hunted with labs and other dark colored dogs I agree that light colors are good for hunting. However such a dog will leave the visible hair all over. Perhaps it should be cleaned up anyway.

Here is a guy you want to talk to. I have never met a nicer person. Tom Gingher

He owns and runs the Knob Mtn. Kennel

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just brought home my English Cocker Spaniel two weeks ago. Slightly smaller than a Springer, about 35 lbs. max. Otherwise very similar. Colors range from blue roan to black, like mine. "Shadow" will be a pheasant and grouse dog. We named him "Shadow" because he is black and can't be seen at night and he is always attached to your foot. Very pleasant dog. I have 3 boys, 10, 7 and 5 and they love him. My wife has really taken to him after being hesitant about having a dog at all. He will be perfect for a house/pet/hunting dog.

http://www.ecsca.org/fieldbredecs.html

English cockers are hunting dogs. Not the lop-eared, bug-eyed, pee monster, show dogs that American cockers have become. My dogs grandfather was Canadian National Field Champion. He has many other FC and FTW in his bloodlines.

Fast Ed

Last edited by Fast_Ed; 07/06/07.

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'd look into a french brittany.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'll second a English Cocker, there a great little hunting dog and a great companion. I judge spaniel hunt test and am realy impressed with the little fellows. I've had an AWS for the last 14yrs and finally retired her this year, a dark dog is hard to see in heavy cover but a orange bandana around their neck will cure that.

The English Cocker was my next choice in dogs, but took on a GWP for a friend that has health problems and couldn't keep his dog any longer.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. I've had two, and they are very
versatile gun dogs for the foot hunter. There is a lot of WPG
activity in your area (and NY, Conn, Mass, RI, etc), not to
mention the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Club of America for help
finding a good hunting-dog breeder.

Mine have been extraordinary.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Harold: Get a Gordon Setter and don't look back. I'm on my second one and it's mainly used for grouse and woodcock. It seems
to automatically know how far or near to hunt pending on the cover, conditions and number of hunters. It has also has hunted
praire chickens, sharptail, pheasant, hungarians, quail and even
pointed a few ducks. A pleasure in and out of the field. Rugged
with few trips to the vet and a tough hide. Takes alot of abuse
from the grandkids without batting an eye. Easily managible with
a minimum of training compared to some bird dogs. Leaves a few
"fuzzbunnies" in the hair department, but, their on the floor
rather than clothes. Great memories in remembering what to do
in a certain cover,tho you may not have hunted it since the
previous year. Good luck in your decision.
P.S.- Better give it a "buzz" haircut for hunting season.

"Lever actions, contenders, pointing dogs and
doo-wop music."
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
All of the suggestions above.

Add in Weimaraners, and Boykin Spaniels, pick the one that "speaks to ya", and you'll have a helluva dog.

IMHO, there ain't a bad one suggested yet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
IMHO, there ain't a bad one suggested yet.

So....are you running for some political office?

Actually, I agree with you. Any dog--even a poor one--is better than no dog at all.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where I hunt grouse the bear season is open during the grouse season. I have used a dog and its not worth the bother. Better to just woods roam and hunt everything. Some years there are no grouse anyway or so it seems.

On the other hand if you want a dog then get a dog. If I wanted a dog I would get one with some color that I could see and not a Gordon. A dog would be good as an alarm.

Tom Gingher of Bloomsberg, PA is the best person I know who trains and breeds hunting dogs.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Two thoughts on the above: I always heard that hunting with a
poor dog (untrained) was worse than hunting with no dog at all
(and I've had that experience more than once). Now, for just
bummin' around in the woods, any dog should do.
Also, Gordon's are not that hard to see(locate) when wearing a
'beeper collar' or if their in lighter grasses/weeds or snow.
I still prefer them to my last 'white' dog. If your going to
use a bell only in heavy/early cover your argument has validity
however,I've had trouble finding 'white' dogs to.
Good luck in the dog search----

"Lever actions, contenders, pointing dogs and
doo-wop music."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good points too, I'll second that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a couple of black labs and I have hunted in Vermont for 55 years. Not every day mind you but I have owned the 'camp' there since 1964 thus I have some experience with the topic.

The labs were ok for grouse hunting but as you say untrained. However I don't recall them messing up a grouse shot and more to the opposite they would flush birds that I may never have seen but just walked by. Of course they would retrieve the birds too.

The idea of a beeper in the grouse woods really is not for me. Better to stay at the camp and do something else than listen to a beeper. A red or orange something on the dogs neck is a good idea anyway. I like that.

The bear season in VT used to open April 1'st and now opens on Sept. 1'st. It ends when they den up in late November. The upland season (grouse, squirrels etc.) opens Sept. 28 th and closes at the end of the year. By the time the deer season is over in November I am hunting deer in Connecticut and the snow in Vermont is already a problem.

Now if some guy did not want to hunt big game and just hunted birds and not only that but belonged to a club that had pheasant hunting then of course a dog would be outstanding for that hunting. Otherwise I would rather not have a dog what with wanting to get away on the boat and the kind of rifle hunting that I prefer.
=================================================================

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I walked out of the camp and down the dirt road to go grouse and bear hunting. My 'combination gun' for such hunting was a Ithaca Deerslayer loaded with slugs in the mag and bird shot in the chamber. A dog came walking towards me. My dog was back home with my parents.

I called to the dog, a lean black lab male, and it came over and I petted it on it head. It seemed to be lost. I told the dog to follow me and it did. We went up the hill on a logging road and in a clearing a black bear ran across the clearing. I shucked the shot out of the chamber and closed it on a slug and got to see the bear run out of sight. Too far, too fast.

While this was going on the dog ran off when it saw the bear.

[Linked Image]
Best grouse/bear gun since 1968.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My wife always said, she didn`t know which were dumber, my hounds or my chickens, but that Labs were smarter than most of there owners.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
She said that a dog is smarter than a human? Thats ridiculous.

The main problem with the dog is that it takes so much care. You have to deal with the huge thing in the vehicle, walk it, feed it etc. not to mention that it might run off or worse chase a deer.

Now if you luv your dog all thats nothing.

One more thing on the practical side is that there are really not many grouse at all in Vermont. Hardly ever. This year looks good though I admit that. If there can be a lot of shooting then a decent hunting dog is fabulous. Take the forest where all you see is two birds all day and a chipmunk and to me I left the dog home. To each his own.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 16,948 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,874
Posts18,538,024
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
4 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.