Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Put it all together yesterday. All together means the only rear sight available locally which was a plastic bodied folding rear from mag-pul.

Even at 25 yards it shot Ok for a few shots then started opening up quickly. It is a pencil barrel, 1 in 9 with federal m193. Rock River lower with kind of a sucky trigger.

Here's one of my typical 100 yard groups.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And one of the rifle

Anyone care to guess whether the barrel is heating up and shifting poi? Or is the kinda springy folding rear aperture shifting? Or am I just helpless at shooting?

Think I'll get a better rear sight headed this way.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nothing wrong with your rear sight, the plastic sights work fine.

Good pencil barrels don't shift that much even at 10 shots.

Maybe a bad barrel but it could be the ammo or your technique as well. Try some good ammo and maybe let another AR shooter shoot it.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure the technique could use improvement. The box with the case across it in the second pic was my rest. Front hand on that with the forearm laid in and elbows on the table...

Actually if I could change one thing right now it'd likely be the trigger.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd throw a scope on it real quick and see what it can do with good optics first. If it does the same thing, then I'd suspect a crap barrel. If the groups tighten up, I'd suspect the shooter or rear sight... I like the rifle, by the way.. Looks great.. I was looking at a lower today for a new build myself.. 6mm ARC baby.. grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifle obviously isn't shooting properly; but to troubleshoot, you should confirm that barrel and sights are tight and true, then fire 3-4 10 shot groups at 50-100 yards.

Last edited by night_owl; 06/06/20.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
I'm sure the technique could use improvement. The box with the case across it in the second pic was my rest. Front hand on that with the forearm laid in and elbows on the table...

Lots of people think that shootin' an AR is just like shootin' a bolt gun & that just 'cause they can knock the eye outta a fly at 500 yards with the bolt gun, that they can also do it with the AR....................just seriously ain't so.

Takes some learnin' to get to be real good with an AR....................just sayin.

Besides havin' good ammo................

Besides havin' a good barrel...............

Besides havin' a free float handguard that is reasonably stiff with a decent barrel nut attachment................

Besides havin' a good trigger

Besides, besides, besides ad nausem...........................

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
[quote=johnw]I'm sure the technique could use improvement. The box with the case across it in the second pic was my rest. Front hand on that with the forearm laid in and elbows on the table...

/quote]

Lots of people think that shootin' an AR is just like shootin' a bolt gun & that just 'cause they can knock the eye outta a fly at 500 yards with the bolt gun, that they can also do it with the AR....................just seriously ain't so.

Takes some learnin' to get to be real good with an AR....................just sayin.

Besides havin' good ammo................

Besides havin' a good barrel...............

Besides havin' a free float handguard that is reasonably stiff with a decent barrel nut attachment................

Besides havin' a good trigger

Besides, besides, besides ad nausem...........................

MM

grin
I think you left out a few besides buddy..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Wellllll....
Without seeing you shoot at all....
Or looking at your rig.

Right handed????

Right elbow slipping out on those last 2.
Bone to board = not good

Rest both elbows on a folded wash cloth or small towel on the table.
Comfortable and reduce elbows moving thru shot series.

Shooting over the top of a gear can and rifle case???

Small bag the butt of the wpn.
Big bag the forearm.
Combo of stuff
Jmo.......
Bet those 2 flyers go away........

Just saying.........

Last edited by renegade50; 06/06/20.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, I've been wondering for years...

Heard and heard about free floated AR barrels. Is a barrel with a gas port ever really free floated?

And I'll work on the technique. Haven't actually carried bags to the range in years. I was encouraged at the 50 yard line with a 6" gong from offhand. It was almost sounding like a school bell...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As to a scope, I doubt that it will happen. Maybe just for testing porpoises...

Edit; A red dot is a real possibility.

Last edited by johnw; 06/06/20.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my Magpul plastic rear sight resides in a drawer awaiting someone that wants it. it would walk on me like yours did. replaced it and brought everything into a group.
just my experience . try optics to really test your gun.

Last edited by deerstalker; 06/06/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you let your front sling swivel hit the rest when you shoot it can and likely will scatter groups.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I go with a wobbly rear sight. You didn't say who makes the barrel and is it chrome lined ? Your rest could be an issue. So would a gritty trigger.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by johnw
As to a scope, I doubt that it will happen. Maybe just for testing porpoises...

Edit; A red dot is a real possibility.

So you are going to be able to test the accuracy potential of your rifle with a red dot? In all likelihood, probably not. Just buy a cantilever mount and use a scope you trust. Then it removes all doubt in your sighting system and you can rule that out. If you are new to the ar game, its a different ball of wax. Like MontanaMan pointed out. In order to fully become proficient with an AR, you need to shoot one quite a bit. Also expecting sub moa groups from one with iron sights, scitty azz trigger and non freefloated barrel is like thinking you'll run across a genie in the bottle and she'll grant you 3 wishes. Just not going to happen.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to agree with BSA here, and MM too.

I would not expect Federal M193 to shoot MOA, but I am pretty damned sure I cannot shoot even the best ammo in an AR with iron sights and get anywhere near MOA even with the most appropriate rest under the rifle. Throw in the different ergonomics of an AR (I am still trying to find "the zone" and I've been shooting ARs casually for over a decade) on top of the open sights and less-than-stellar ammunition, and I am right there with you holding a target that looks something like that.

I'd put a scope on it and feed it some ammo with a reputation for decent accuracy and try again before messing with the barrel or giving up.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
I go with a wobbly rear sight. You didn't say who makes the barrel and is it chrome lined ? Your rest could be an issue. So would a gritty trigger.

kwg

I dunno who made the barrel. This is the upper I bought, and yes the barrel is chrome lined. J&T Link

The lower is Rock River that I bought from a buddy a while back.

And while I agree with comments about the ammo and the shooting technique, I gotta differ with comments about "iron" or aperture sights. I have a couple of rifles which will frequently shoot under an inch with a peep at 100 yards. Note that I don't claim "all day, every day". One I've owned since 2003, and the other since the mid 90s.

And I get it that many ARs are capable of MOA or better. I've seen it done, and know guys who do it routinely. Not my goal however.

I'm gonna use this rifle as a general use carbine. I'd like to be able to hit a cantaloupe (blaze orange cantaloupe) at 200 yards or so on demand. I shot the same target used in the OP at 200 yards repeatedly and could not detect the blue portion with my eye. I think I did five 5 round groups and probably averaged 2 in the blue. Note that some shots at 200 were not even on paper, so improvement is necessary. I'll start with better visibility targets.

Anyway, I appreciate the commentary, and admire those more capable with the platform. But I will not chase MOA as a goal. I do intend to improve as much as I can with the rifle set up pretty much as is. A better rear sight will be ordered. Maybe a couple of them.
I won't do the free float. Maybe on my next AR, but I intend to take this set-up as far as I can.

I'd love to see some thoughts on fixed rear apertures and service style triggers, but keep in mind I want this rifle to look essentially like it does right now. That said I may well put a carry handle sight on next.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And I just ordered a mil-spec carry handle from PSA. Supposedly in stock...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve used quite a few of the plastic Magpul sights and have never seen one flop from side to side. I have seen a few metal sights do that over the years, one being a YHM the other. PRI.

That said, for a red dot equipped gun or irons only I like the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sights.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Fixed carry handles just add too much weight and the handle is smaller that the A1 or A2 so they ain’t even a comfortable way to carry for me.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR

That said, for a red dot equipped gun or irons only I like the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sights.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Fixed carry handles just add too much weight and the handle is smaller that the A1 or A2 so they ain’t even a comfortable way to carry for me.

Concerned about both issues, but the order is in. Will look at the DD sight. Like the way it looks on your rig.

What kind of light/mount is that?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
To get a relevant accuracy ability of the rifle, I like to get solid support front and rear. I mean solid as in a bipod up front, and a sandbag or beanbag rear. Then an optic will usually help too, unless your eyes are in top shape ( mine aren't).

Then, go with 10-shot group. That will let you assess the trend from the bad shots, or wonky rounds.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.