Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've just returned from the Shamanic Secret Underground Reloading and Gunsmithing Facility.

Back in January, I bought a Boyd's AT-One stock for my Ruger American Predator in 223 REM. It came with a ProBed 2000 bedding kit. I was having trouble getting and aftermarket single-shot magazine replacement to fit right, so I put it on the shelf for later. Later came this AM. Just for [bleep], I tried fitting the aftermarket magazine in and got it working properly, so now I had no excuse not to bed.

I've never bedded before. I've read about it plenty of times, but I just never had a need. With the AT-One stock, there's really no getting around it. It's part of the fitting process. Here it is, a couple hours into the cure, and I'm still not convinced I haven't just glued a rifle into its stock. I guess I'll know tomorrow.

I used the Dremel to hog out a bit of stock in front of the front screw-- about 2 inches of barrel. I also opened up the area around the back of the tang. There are two blocks that come with the stock that fit fore and aft of the RAR's magazine. These have to be cemented into place. That's the reason for the inclusion of the bedding kit. There are pre-designed gaps in the stock to take the epoxy.

The kit comes with a bag of release agent. I went over everything I could anticipate with it, and then took some old Johnson's paste wax and goobered up all the screws and threads and nooks and crannies. I wrapped a couple wraps of electrical tape around the barrel to make sure there was ample free-floating, and then set to mixing the 2-parts of compound and fixer. I used an old butter knife to spread the epoxy around. I screws everything together and backed the screws out and used some more paste wax just to be sure.

Really and truly, it went off just like everyone says it would. I've promised myself not to go downstairs again until its cured.

Question: How do you deal with the nagging feeling that you've just done something horribly wrong? Ruined the rifle? Made a rift in the space time continuum that only tearing the rifle out of the stock will fix? I've tried prayer. I've tried mowing the lawn. I tried to think of baseball, seeing how that works for nearly everything else. There's no baseball on.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have that feeling every time I bed a rifle and so far it has been wrong. Nothing you can do now but wait and see. It might be hard to pop out, don't freak out if it doesn't just lift right out. Good luck!

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What redleg said is bang on. I've bedded probably close to a dozen stocks, still get the jitters about using enough release agent / release agent in the right areas. Never had an issue.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I have only done two, but as long as you filled undercuts that could lock things, and paste waxed everything, you should be okay

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Struggling with patience my whole life, I keep the leftover as a sample. When the sample gets veryfirm but still a little rubbery - you can cut it with a knife - I'll pop the action off. At worst you;ll have to clean up and start over. If it cures and sticks you might need a little heat to free it up.

Or the alternative...

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have been epoxy-bedding stocks since the mid-1970s, probably a dozen a year--which adds up to at least 300. "Stuck" one, around 30 years ago, that probably would have come loose after putting it in a chest freezer overnight.

The "sticky" ones (those that wouldn't come apart just by pulling the stock off) all came apart with two methods, sometimes combined:

1) Putting the forend in a bench vise (inside a piece of thick leater), then placing my forearm under the barrel, my hand on the table, and using my forearm as a lever to "lift" the barrel.

2) If that didn't work, turning the front action screw in around 3 turns, so the screw-head was well above the stock. Then placed the rifle upside-down in a bench vise, and whacked the head of the screw with a chunk of hardwood. (This also works well with "stockmaker's" screws, longer screws without heads, for aligning the action while inletting.)

As I recall, I learned these from a couple of Roy Dunlap's books, including the one co-written by Jim Carmichel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all!

I got up early this AM, and went to check out the rifle. The glob of epoxy I'd left out was hard and crisp. I tried inserting the bolt and then using it as a pry bar like the directions suggested. Then I realized I needed to remove the action screws first ( Hey, it's my first job!)

Once the screws were out, I lifted the barrel, pressing down on the end of the stock with my thumb and. . .

. . . Popped right out! There was only a wee dab of epoxy back by the safety that needed to be cut out. The rest had gone where needed and not stayed out of the places it shouldn't.

Question: How soon should can I actually fire the rifle? I'm going to the farm today. Conceivably, I could have it pointed at a target by this afternoon. Is that Kosher?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shaman
I've just returned from the Shamanic Secret Underground Reloading and Gunsmithing Facility.

Back in January, I bought a Boyd's AT-One stock for my Ruger American Predator in 223 REM. It came with a ProBed 2000 bedding kit. I was having trouble getting and aftermarket single-shot magazine replacement to fit right, so I put it on the shelf for later. Later came this AM. Just for [bleep], I tried fitting the aftermarket magazine in and got it working properly, so now I had no excuse not to bed.

I've never bedded before. I've read about it plenty of times, but I just never had a need. With the AT-One stock, there's really no getting around it. It's part of the fitting process. Here it is, a couple hours into the cure, and I'm still not convinced I haven't just glued a rifle into its stock. I guess I'll know tomorrow.

I used the Dremel to hog out a bit of stock in front of the front screw-- about 2 inches of barrel. I also opened up the area around the back of the tang. There are two blocks that come with the stock that fit fore and aft of the RAR's magazine. These have to be cemented into place. That's the reason for the inclusion of the bedding kit. There are pre-designed gaps in the stock to take the epoxy.

The kit comes with a bag of release agent. I went over everything I could anticipate with it, and then took some old Johnson's paste wax and goobered up all the screws and threads and nooks and crannies. I wrapped a couple wraps of electrical tape around the barrel to make sure there was ample free-floating, and then set to mixing the 2-parts of compound and fixer. I used an old butter knife to spread the epoxy around. I screws everything together and backed the screws out and used some more paste wax just to be sure.

Really and truly, it went off just like everyone says it would. I've promised myself not to go downstairs again until its cured.

Question: How do you deal with the nagging feeling that you've just done something horribly wrong? Ruined the rifle? Made a rift in the space time continuum that only tearing the rifle out of the stock will fix? I've tried prayer. I've tried mowing the lawn. I tried to think of baseball, seeing how that works for nearly everything else. There's no baseball on.

Good news if you glue one, drop it in the freezer for a while and then give it a not-too-hard whack.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Question: How soon should can I actually fire the rifle? I'm going to the farm today. Conceivably, I could have it pointed at a target by this afternoon. Is that Kosher?

Yes.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Check the directions on the Pro-Bed kit, they should have a recommended cure time, I usually give at least 48 hours after a bedding job before firing the rifle. Just me likely but I want to be sure that the epoxy has had time to thoroughly cure.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cure time for most hard epoxies is around 24 hours.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just an FYI - Most room temperature epoxy systems, including all that I'm aware of that are used for bedding rifles, will reach about 85-90% of full cure in 24 hours at normal room temperature (72F). However, to reach full cure or as fully cured as most of them can get, takes about 7 days at room temperature. The obvious question is "Is 85-90% of full cure sufficient?" I would answer that, yes, in most cases it is more than sufficient as I'm sure most of you know through experience. If it was a big bore rifle, I might wait a few more days before shooting.

By the way, I know this because I work in the composite materials industry and our company develops high end resin systems for all kinds of applications.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This thread is worthless without pics of the final job!

What you got Shaman? Did you do some sort of incantation while the epoxy was setting up to ensure a release?

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You're right! Pics are needed.

I've got the rifle down at the farm now. I'll try and post some glamor pics here in a day or so.

The nitty gritty pics of the bedding job will have to wait.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a pic of the finished product:

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Pics and Article are here:

Ruger American Predator Redux

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by test1328
is "Is 85-90% of full cure sufficient?" I would answer that, yes, in most cases it is more than sufficient as I'm sure most of you know through experience. If it was a big bore rifle, I might wait a few more days before shooting..

Consider 85% of your epoxy product compressive strength and the compressive strength of a good piece of walnut. Where does that put you. We know walnut works.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
. . . and in this case, it's a 223 REM so there are not going to be any real stresses.

Well, I finally had a look at the results from yesterday's shooting. When I started out it was dead calm, but by the time I had the targets up and the rifle out on the bench, I was already starting to get some wind. I'm not much good at judging wind. . . not yet.

I had to tweak the scope a bit, but after 10 shots, I did get one 3 shot group of under an inch and two of the three were touching. My next shot on the fresh target nailed the bull, and then the wind started to really blow, and so I gave up. There's promise there.

I then spent an hour out mowing the rough stuff and that included mowing around the 100 and new 200 yard target frames. When it looked like it was going to rain, I came in and just for [bleep], I tried hitting the 14" plate at 200 yards. Yep! it works.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by test1328
is "Is 85-90% of full cure sufficient?" I would answer that, yes, in most cases it is more than sufficient as I'm sure most of you know through experience. If it was a big bore rifle, I might wait a few more days before shooting..

Consider 85% of your epoxy product compressive strength and the compressive strength of a good piece of walnut. Where does that put you. We know walnut works.

I'm certainly no expert on walnut, but wood is a naturally occurring composite material, so has different material properties in different directions. Just a quick search on Matweb shows that Black Walnut has a compressive strength of 1020 psi perpendicular to the grain and about 7570 psi parallel to the grain. A generic, two-part epoxy resin system, no fillers or fibers mixed in, is a homogeneous material, meaning it has the same properties in all directions, just like a metal. Marine-Tex for example, is an epoxy resin system that is often used for bedding rifles. It has a compressive strength that ranges from 8700 psi (white) to 13000 psi (grey). So, if we take 85% of that, we get 7395 psi to 11050 psi, both of which are just about equal to or greater than the strongest of walnut.

A word of caution is that all epoxy systems do not have the same properties, as evidenced just with the two variations of Marine-Tex that you can readily buy. Your standard 5 minute cure epoxy will not have the same strength as your 1-4 hour cure epoxies. Epoxy systems that have an elevated temperature cure will typically achieve even higher strengths, but most people don't want to deal with the headache of curing your stock in an oven, let alone determining if that elevated temperature will damage your stock.

The other thing to point out is that a filled resin system, meaning a resin that is reinforced with particulate, like alumina or silica particles, can greatly increase the compression strength of an epoxy system. The particulate will usually increase the viscosity of the resin system as well, making it easier to handle and apply to your stock, rather than the original Acraglas system which was really low viscosity and difficult to use. You can also buy metallic particles that can be mixed into epoxy systems that will add even more strength, and maybe more importantly, stiffness (elastic modulus). Brownells sells these metallic particles for just such applications.

Hope that helps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For this sort of thing we're shooting from the hip to get an idea of how things lay. For that I generally use JB Weld as a baseline. It's reasonably good stuff and the stuff formulated for bedding is at least as good. JB Weld claims 3960 psi in compression. Datasheet Now compared to 1020 for walnut even common filled epoxy is so much stronger that I'm not going to worry about it. Also note that tensile, compressive and shear strength correlate,

(I had only meant to suggest a methodology for analysis.)

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Glad it was of some help. Keep in mind that the 1020 psi is in the soft direction of the wood, so in most cases in a rifle, the recoil lug is acting on the wood in the parallel to the grain direction, or the strong direction, so we're probably closer to the 7500 psi strength. The 3960 psi for JB Weld illustrates how different epoxy systems have different strengths (as compared to Marine-Tex). In any case, from your experience, the 3960 is plenty of strength to get the job done. Bottom line for me, though, is that you definitely want to wait at least 24 hours for the epoxy to cure before you actually use the rifle. And, you want to make sure that you're curing at around 72F. If you're curing at say, 62-65F, then you might want to wait a bit longer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,854 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.