-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You want to keep your targets about 5-6 MOA for use with irons.

Looks like you have about 3 MOA on that last 100yd target. Is that with ball? That's acceptable with ball, not a good lot, but within spec.
Some good ammo ought to cut that down to 1 1/2 or 2 MOA, depending upon your skill. Anything better than that is better than average with irons.

If it won't do that, pull the barrel.

It looks like your elbow might be sliding or you have trigger control issues (horizontal stringing). Probably both. Make sure your gun slides straight back every time. Wear the jacket to reduce pulse. Focus problems will be expressed as corner shots and elevation probs (vertical stringing). Watch for light changes on the post. A light change can be good for 3+ minutes of error.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Looks like you have about 3 MOA on that last 100yd target. Is that with ball? That's acceptable with ball, not a good lot, but within spec.
Some good ammo ought to cut that down to 1 1/2 or 2 MOA, depending upon your skill. Anything better than that is better than average with irons.

It looks like your elbow might be sliding or you have trigger control issues (horizontal stringing). Probably both. Make sure your gun slides straight back every time. Wear the jacket to reduce pulse. Focus problems will be expressed as corner shots and elevation probs (vertical stringing). Watch for light changes on the post. A light change can be good for 3+ minutes of error.

The last 100 yard target looks like a 6moa group to me.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm throwing out the flier and the .357 holes smile
The flier damn sure wasn't the gun.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Oh, ok. I was including the flyer. My bad. Or looks like his bad.. All of us keep pointing out what he needs to do differently. Scope, better ammo, good rest, good trigger and good shooter to really evaluate the rifle.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
To get a relevant accuracy ability of the rifle, I like to get solid support front and rear. I mean solid as in a bipod up front, and a sandbag or beanbag rear. Then an optic will usually help too, unless your eyes are in top shape ( mine aren't).

Then, go with 10-shot group. That will let you assess the trend from the bad shots, or wonky rounds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What is that sight on the lower rifle?

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by dassa
To get a relevant accuracy ability of the rifle, I like to get solid support front and rear. I mean solid as in a bipod up front, and a sandbag or beanbag rear. Then an optic will usually help too, unless your eyes are in top shape ( mine aren't).

Then, go with 10-shot group. That will let you assess the trend from the bad shots, or wonky rounds.

It's a Primary Arms 5X prism with ACSS reticle.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Looks like you have about 3 MOA on that last 100yd target.
Is that with ball? That's acceptable with ball, not a good lot, but within spec.

Outside to outside it was just under 4", minus the flyer.

And yeah... These targets were fired with some IMI M193 ball.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Oh, ok. I was including the flyer. My bad. Or looks like his bad.. All of us keep pointing out what he needs to do differently. Scope, better ammo, good rest, good trigger and good shooter to really evaluate the rifle.

I'm actually more interested in evaluating the shooter. It'd be interesting to me to have a competent shooter use my set-up and see what I should be attaining with it.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One issue with a larger target is the size of the target frames where I do most of my shooting. I may have to make a donation for something that will allow some white around a 12-13" bull.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by johnw

I'm actually more interested in evaluating the shooter. It'd be interesting to me to have a competent shooter use my set-up and see what I should be attaining with it.

That would help, if you know someone who is very proficient with an ar. Like others have mentioned, the AR is harder for some to shoot accurately. Check out some youtube videos of guys shooting rifles like yours and youll be surprised at the chidt groups they are shooting. Even so called match rifles with their 20" HBAR's and guys that talk like they know what they are doing are shooting 3-5" groups with match grade ammo. Ball ammo, not so much.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

That would help, if you know someone who is very proficient with an ar. Like others have mentioned, the AR is harder for some to shoot accurately. Check out some youtube videos of guys shooting rifles like yours and youll be surprised at the chidt groups they are shooting. Even so called match rifles with their 20" HBAR's and guys that talk like they know what they are doing are shooting 3-5" groups with match grade ammo. Ball ammo, not so much.

No it’s not, Army trains new recruits every week to engage targets 300 meters with peep sights.. the problem is most joe blow civilian has no clue about Nose on charging handle.. you want consistency nose up on charging handle.. guys who say they don’t do that either were never in service or they were and drill sergeants were on there asses. So to the op if you are not putting nose on charging handle them nose up on charging handle.

Last edited by 79S; 06/12/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by dassa

It's a Primary Arms 5X prism with ACSS reticle.

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

No it’s not, Army trains new recruits every week to engage targets 300 meters with peep sights.

How big are those 300 meter targets? I googled around and found 20" x 40".

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by 79S

No it’s not, Army trains new recruits every week to engage targets 300 meters with peep sights.

How big are those 300 meter targets? I googled around and found 20" x 40".

I could likely hit one like that.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it is that big, the OP’s original group size was sufficient.

And it explains why army guys are so consistently poor at rifle work.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes we are piss poor shots.. lol..

Last edited by 79S; 06/13/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always look forward to the AMU showing up at a match! LOL!

I know what you mean though, Blue. You're talking about Private Snuffy, not the elites. I believe their training has been improving, however.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, comparing the AMU to a guy who was “in the army” is like comparing Usain Bolt to your neighbor who likes to jog around the block.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

What size is the target?

And it’s not necessarily just the shooting, it’s the rifle work in general. I’m shocked when a former army guy can zero his rifle at 50 yards without help, much less hit anything at distance.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

What size is the target?

And it’s not necessarily just the shooting, it’s the rifle work in general. I’m shocked when a former army guy can zero his rifle at 50 yards without help, much less hit anything at distance.

And that may be with some justification, but the statement does cut a pretty wide swath. When I signed up I met a lot of guys that had never touched a firearm of any sort. And a lot of guys like myself with rural backgrounds that used a rifle like they were born with one. Military rifle training is probably harder for those who grew up with guns than for the city kids who had never used one.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,510
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.