Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Does anyone here own a Walther P22? If so, what do you think of it? Does it have more than 1 or 2 thousand rounds through it?

I was in the Bass Pro Shop today and the guy behind the counter says he's worn two out and that both had frame failures resulting in the gun coming apart somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rounds. He said that Walther replaced it both times though and admits that he fired all those rounds in the course of a day. Anyway, he talked me out of buying one. I just can't believe Walther would put out such a crappy product. I've never had to think about the useful life of a rimfire before.

Outside quality issues, are they minute of squirrel accurate at 25-50 yards?

-Adrian

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a very early p-22, now 8-9 years old. have fired mostly CCI mini mags in it with very few issues. Early on the mags required a little tweeking and a tiny bit of reshaping the hammer. I have 5k rounds more or less through it and have not seen any problems with the frame. I think your guy is one of those fellows who thinks he has all the answeres the problem is he just doesn't know what the questions are. He needs to go back to selling shoes in the womens department soon before someone gets hurt.

Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
1500 to 2000 rounds in one day?

And, he's the resident expert at Bass Pro Shops?

Why am I immediately thinking "mall ninja"?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
How many people would it take to load the mags for a shoot like that?? Your fingers would be raw. Can that be fun??

Spot on VA.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
10 round mags, loaded a minimum of 150 to 200 times in one day....

How long does it take to load a 10 rd. .22 magazine? Figure 30 seconds, minimum, if you're flying. That puts load time alone at 75 to 100 minutes. That's 1.5 hours, MINIMUM for just the load time.... and likely double that.

Okay, so you're looking at someone who says they paid for 4 bricks of .22LRs, about $60, easily, and spent 1.5 hours loading magazines (at least), just to burn it all up in one day.

That, I seriously, seriously doubt.

The BP guy, is a tool, and a fool, and I'd wager heavily either a phony or the LAST person you should take any responsible firearms advice from.

IMHO, the Walther is not the best little .22 out there, by far (Ruger MkII/MkIIIs still have that; followed closely by BuckMarks), but they are nowhere near as crappy as the "advice" from Bass Pro's little mall ninja....

Of course, ymmv....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find that hard to believe, you'd have to have a real POS to be worn out by 1500-2000 rounds of 22rf.

I have heard the P-22's have so-so accuracy, and that it why I didn't buy one. They are neat guns and feel good in the hand. I don't like the mag release and other ergonomics.

Got a Ruger 22/45 mk II w/ the 5 1/2" ss bull barrel and like it fine. Id does need a break in as it'll jam after a few hundred rounds.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I snagged one today slightly used in the box with the grip spacers and two mags for $219. I figured I could always get my money back out of it if I didn't like it. My wife has been bugging me about getting her a .22 pistol and she has very small hands. She liked it when I brought it home, so I guess we'll see how it performs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got about 300 rounds thru mine and side by side comparison last Sat at the range it was only slightly larger groups( offhand) then my Ruger Mark II which is a lot heavier and has a longer site radius.

You can shoot mine anytime you want!!!

[Linked Image]

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think most peoples "accuracy" issues are really there shooting skills.

I'd be interested in a machine rest test....they are very light combined with short barrel.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
ad..,

My hunting pard bought one and we put a brick of ammo (500rds) thru it, using both mags in one afternoon. That's our usual break in proceedure for a .22 auto pistol. With a centerfire usually 100-200rds.

Anyway, the pistol got pretty hot but kept right on shooting. And shooting accurately. So, I'm calling B.S. on your informant. Another Mall Commando.

Too old to suffer fools
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The P22 has gone thru development and mine is a late one and except that the front sight just flew away it functions fine. A buddy also has one like mine, the short bbl. version and he is a superb marksman with a pistol (one hand shooting).

He says that the P22 is too light and that it has no balance. That you just have to hold, squeeze and hope. The longer barrel version might be much better in the balance dept. but short one will fit in many pockets.

They are an cute inexpensive pistol. I have not practiced enough with mine to be good with it. I am sticking with the Woodsman. I have not sold the P22 however. Its likeable.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks everyone, I feel a little better now. Might still consider one.

Mike,

I stopped by Autry's Armory today and they recommend AA suppressors. They're made in Norcross, just up the road.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes Sir!

They are AAC (Advanced Armament Corp.) that I was talking about sponsoring the silencer shoot!

Ops Inc is in the metro area and SWR is in East GA Evans, GA

I was talking to one of the guys last weekend down there about the Gemtech debacle..

You getting off work early?

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've had two Walther P-22's- I bought the first one- the short barrel version- because I wanted a small size .22 pistol- and because I like Walthers- and because I liked the looks, fit, and feel of the P-22.

I later sold it, however, to a friends wife because she said the little Walther was the only pistol she ever saw that she "... really liked" and wanted very much to buy it. She still has it and enjoys shooting it.

I sold it to her because I decided I would rather have the longer barrel model- and so I then purchased my second Walther P-22.

Both pistols I found fun, accurate, and dependable. I also found that my short barrel pistol shot (for me) as well as my newer long barrel version. And soon I missed not having that 'little' gun.

So, I traded the 'long' P-22 to another friend who wanted it (and who also continues to value it) for a very nice Mil-Surp rifle- with the intention of someday replacing my original 'little' Walther P-22.

I agree the P-22's do not compare to a Ruger or Browning .22 pistol- but they're not supposed to- I see them as a different 'type' of pistol- and that they are (only) what they are.

And liking "what" they are- I would just rather have the Walther. (And highly recommend them.)

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

I was talking to one of the guys last weekend down there about the Gemtech debacle..

Mike

You mind elaborating on that?

lewis

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've had a P-22 for a few years. I carry it around in my jeans pocket a lot, on quads, horseback, whatever. Have fired, probably several thousand rounds through it. Often go through the better part of a box of 500 or 550 (Federals) in one plinking session. Also have used quite a bit of hyper-velocity stuff (mainly Velocitors)and what have you. Never disassemble it, never clean it. Failures to function are very rare, almost zilch. Accuracy is as good as I get with any small, light .22. Probably one of the highest returns on investment of any gun I have. Of course, I've never spent any time behind the counter at Bass Pro shops so what do I know...

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I really don't see that it's fair to compare the P22 to....well, almost anything else. It's a unique design. Kind of a 'tactical' pistol tho a bit light in caliber. Easily concealable, but not really a pocket pistol, yet not a target pistol either.

Yes, it's easier to shoot a S&W, Buckmark or Woodsman accurately. But, the P22 seems to be right there with them accuracy wize if you concentrate. At least for me.

Too old to suffer fools
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I prefer the Buckmark, but that is personal as it fits my hand well.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I put about 50 rds thru my new(used) P22 today at the shop where I am having my can built. It ran flawlessly with the can attached. The guy wo builds the cans supplied the thread adaptor and attached it to my pistol. I'm waiting on him to get the new tubes in to be serial numbered and anodized so I can get my paperwork done for the ATF...That suppressor is sweet --- 4.5" long, 1" in diameter and 4 oz....

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Damn, CJ, you have TOO many neat toys..... you need to share.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (160user, 257Bob, 300jimmy, 257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 57 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,372
Posts18,527,420
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.