Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have shortened a 100 grain TTSX .257 diameter bullet to 70 grains. by machining off the rear of the bullet. The 25-20 rifle is a single shot Kimber of Oregon and is to be used in California.

Can anyone forecast a load for a .25-20 WCF for this bullet?

Last edited by vapodog; 06/09/20.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks vapodog,

for those reading, this bullet will also be used in a custom revolver chambered in .256 WinMag, and if it performs in that, perhaps the Marlin Model 62.

And again, much appreciated on the work vapo!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'Twould be easier to use the 67gr from Hammer bullets:

https://hammerbullets.com/product/257-cal-67g-shock-hammer/

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer

How friggen cool is that? That'd make a 250 Savage a screamer.

LOL
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2

How friggen cool is that? That'd make a 250 Savage a screamer.

It would be inviting to stuff one of them into a .223 case.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks pointer,

seems last time I contacted them, perhaps 18months ago, they didn't have anything that small in .25 Did say they'd be willing to do a special run for me, but these seem much more reasonably priced.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks Ed, I may look into them too. No length listed in their specs, or recommended twist rate though. Maybe I just try a box and see, and if not suitable I'll donate them or something.

So far, I'm appreciating the help folks.

In it is contentment

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by vapodog

I would start with Speer data for their 75 grain flat point. There's a tradeoff .. you've got 5 grains less weight and pointy so less bearing surface but monolithic so less compressible. I don't know how that would balance out. I think you're out there on your own playing without a net. 's ok, someone has to do it, right? I'd look at H4227 and AA1680 for starters.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm not trying to high jack this thread but a while back there was a thread about Cavity Back bullets and a couple of guys where going to try them Has anyone done it?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by vapodog

I would start with Speer data for their 75 grain flat point. There's a tradeoff .. you've got 5 grains less weight and pointy so less bearing surface but monolithic so less compressible. I don't know how that would balance out. I think you're out there on your own playing without a net. 's ok, someone has to do it, right? I'd look at H4227 and AA1680 for starters.

I have used 4227 for the WinMag with that Speer, and also the Hornady 60 gr FP I believe.

For sure I'm starging low and using the chronograph. I know the speed I'm getting out of the 7.5 in barrel on the revolver with the Speer loads and 4227.

I may go back and check a 25-20 thread on Marlin Owners and see if it's still alive. There was a lot of info on there, maybe there will be someone experimenting with the non-lead stuff.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
I'm not trying to high jack this thread but a while back there was a thread about Cavity Back bullets and a couple of guys where going to try them Has anyone done it?

Do they make a lightweight .25 cal non-lead bullet?

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Update. Thanks to a gentle reminder PM from vapodog today. I of course have been busy being retired, and having a good life, so this project has been a little farther down the priority list than a few others, one of which is keeping an eye on wildfires a bit south of us. I've decided I have to get going on it soon though.

While up in the big town a week or so back I picked up a couple of jugs of suitable powders. And after vapodog's machined bullets arrived, I ordered some of the 67gr Hammer bullets too. Will compare them against the machined TTSX ones once I get going.

Picture shows vapo's machine work on the left, a couple of ones with tips intact, one without, a dummy round I quickly put together to check fit and function, and three of the Hammer version. On my little scale , vapo's averaged about 68-69 gr without tips, the Hammers right about their stated 67 grs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here's the dummy in a Model 62 magazine, the case mouth is right at the upper edge of the last relief groove on the TTSX without the tip. Only a mm or two space before I run out of room, so that might be all I can get as far as length and not using too much powder space (shouldn't be an issue with the small charges). You can also notice the larger hollow point in the Hammer version.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, but I did this just a little while ago after getting the evening dog walks in, and taking care of the evening "chores", such as they are for a retired guy.

Along with fitting in the Marlin mag, I've got to dig out the revolver tomorrow, after we get back from the 2+ hour drive (each way) and appointments tomorrow in the Big Town. I want to make sure the round as it sits now will fit in the revolver cylinder and not interfere with rotation etc.

Once this is all done, I'll work up a dummy .25-20 round to check things out too, although that might wait until I test a few .256WinMags out at the range.

vapo, thanks for making up the bullets and the reminder today. pointer, thanks for the reminder to check with Hammer. You other guys, thanks for your input too. If these don't work I'll be looking into some of the other suggestions.

I'm sure hoping one or the other of these work, as I'd like to see how they work on a jackrabbit or two, and hopefully a chicken stealing coyote.

In it is contentment

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,372 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.