Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jim585 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have used bore snakes on center fire guns, but when trying to use one on a .22 rimfire, I am unable to feed the pull rope through the small diameter barrel.
There must be some trick. What am I missing?
Thank you, Jim

GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
1. Make sure it’s a 22 model.
2. Hold the rifle vertical or nearly so.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Its harder if the snake has been wound up and has some memory from that. I had the same issue and I used a brass jag with some fishing string tied on. Tied the other end to the snake. Pulled it through til I could grab the snake cord.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Take the bolt out if you can. Allows it to drop straight and not get linked up

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Try an Otis ripcord. Superior to Hoppes bore snake. the end can be pushed through the barrel and then grabbed to be pulled through Barrell. Ends are thread to accept attachments.

https://otistec.com/ripcord

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jim585
I have used bore snakes on center fire guns, but when trying to use one on a .22 rimfire, I am unable to feed the pull rope through the small diameter barrel.
Thank you, Jim
Consider yourself lucky... Do NOT NOT NOT use boresnakes on rifles... When (not if) one breaks off in the bore your rifle is now a wall-hanger or soon to be sent in for a new barrel...

But - rock on if ya feel lucky... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use a .20 cal. boresnake on my CZs, as their bores are an RCH smaller than US dimensions. Seems to work okay, but goes a lot smoother if you've wetted it in bore solvent first.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Thank you, Jim
Consider yourself lucky... Do NOT NOT NOT use boresnakes on rifles... When (not if) one breaks off in the bore your rifle is now a wall-hanger or soon to be sent in for a new barrel...

In case you didn't know, Redneck is a real gunsmith, not a gun tinkerer.

I'd pay attention to what he says about firearms...

John

J
Jim585 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
THANK YOU for all the suggestions.
I have wondered what I would do if my bore snake rope broke.
Perhaps I should keep a safety string attached to the end loop to back it out, if necessary.
And I got rid of all my rifle cleaning rods when I went to bore snakes, so now I feel the need for a new rifle cleaning rod kit.
Any suggestions as to what rifle cleaning kit is a good one?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I could never figure out the attraction to boresnakes. Do you use them thru the barrel once, then clean them before doing it again? I figure not, so that would be the same as using dirty bore patches, right?
Phil

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by Redneck
Thank you, Jim

In case you didn't know, Redneck is a real gunsmith, not a gun tinkerer.

I'd pay attention to what he says about firearms...

John

I was thinking of saying the same thing, but I don't have Redneck's professional cred.

I've never understood the appeal of bore snakes. Invest in a good cleaning rod and learn how to use the damned thing.

Bore snake: a solution in search of a problem.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
++++++++1

lefty

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TenX
I could never figure out the attraction to boresnakes. Do you use them thru the barrel once, then clean them before doing it again? I figure not, so that would be the same as using dirty bore patches, right?
Phil

They are handy to keep chambers on troublesome rifles cleaner. I had two RARs that would often fail to extract, and running a snake thru them helped for a good while. They are also handy on .22 autoloaders, it's easier to use them instead of taking the rifle completely down (like 10/22s and Marlin 60s, and my CZ 512s). I DO use them in pairs, one "wet" and one dry, but I"m probably the exception to that. I'm not so much worried about a dirty bore, as I am keeping the chamber clean, and hopefully avoiding the dreaded "carbon ring" that sometimes forms in .22s and messes up accuracy. The barrels I don't worry about, but dragging a snake thru them is probably easier on them than bumping a stainless rod against the rifling.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can't imagine what a PITA it would be to string a snake through a .22 autoloader.

There is a better way, IMO. Following the advice of Lilja Barrels in cleaning .22 bores, get a worn bronze .22 pistol brush and just scrub the chamber and a bit of the barrel. If cleaning from the muzzle is necessary, make or modify a rod so that the handle doesn't turn.

Has worked well for me.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have several but rarely use them. Figure they are good for a quick pass at deer camp if the weather was bad.
I modified all mine- removed the brush on them. You just have to work a bit to get it started and carefully work it out.

The snake works much smoother without the brush and the brushes in those are crappy anyhow

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one Bore Snake. It's in .17cal and was a temporary measure till I could find an appropriate cleaning rod and accessories. I use it on my semi-auto .22s now just to wipe out the big chunks.

I have all Tipton rods and accessories now and a military field kit for out in the in woods and travel.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
THANK YOU for all the suggestions.
I have wondered what I would do if my bore snake rope broke.
Perhaps I should keep a safety string attached to the end loop to back it out, if necessary.
And I got rid of all my rifle cleaning rods when I went to bore snakes, so now I feel the need for a new rifle cleaning rod kit.
Any suggestions as to what rifle cleaning kit is a good one?

You can't back them out. That's why they get stuck.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Tipton 22 cal nylon brush to clean the chamber. I shot a lot of cb shorts and try to keep a carbon ring from building up.

I use a piece of line trimmer cord and a patch to swab the bore on occasion.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.