Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I found a pretty good deal today on a T/C Venture matte/synthetic bolt .308, its the first T/C bolt gun I've ever owned. In fact, the only T/C's I've ever owned were old style Contenders, Encores, and Hawken BP's. How do these rifles compare with other "inexpensive" bolt guns (Savage 200s, etc)?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Venture is a pretty darned nice gun in my opinion. I think it's a cut above Compass, Axis, American, XPR, 783, etc. I'd put it in the Remington 700, Savage 110 range for quality.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have had a Venture in 243 win and now have a Venture in 7mm-08. Accuracy was close to an inch with almost and load. Well under an inch at 100yards with the loads it really likes. In big game targets the 243 preferred the hornady 95gr sst loads. In varmint ammunition it was especially favorable to 60 gr Sierra varmint bullets. Groups were around 1/2 inch.
The 7mm-08 shoots all loads under 1 1/2inch with the 120 Sierra about 3/4 inch at 100.
The one thing it took some time to get accustomed to was the short bolt lift. Action functions perfectly. Adjustable trigger pull is set at 3.5lb on mine.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
This one has certainly cleaned up nicely, and trigger isn't bad...just need to decide on a scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Son has one in -06 very good accuracy - only problem was the recalls, but never had any of those problems.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jason280
I found a pretty good deal today on a T/C Venture matte/synthetic bolt .308, its the first T/C bolt gun I've ever owned. In fact, the only T/C's I've ever owned were old style Contenders, Encores, and Hawken BP's. How do these rifles compare with other "inexpensive" bolt guns (Savage 200s, etc)?

The Venture is a very nice rifle for its price point. As for comparing it to a Steven's 200, the venture has a nicer trigger out of the box. The accuracy is not quite as good as the 200, from what I have seen. Almost, but not quite. The stocks are more rigid than the 200, so that is a plus. Generally the Venture doesn't need anything right out of the box, except for bases, rings and a scope. The venture is definitely a step above the Savage Axis. I'd rate it between the Axis and a Tikka... IMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Just checked, looks like mine falls under the recall...:(

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a venture. It shoots OK. There are things I don't like about it.

1. The integral trigger guard is a cramped fit for my finger.
2. The trigger is OK but not great and there are no aftermarket triggers available.
3. The safety detent "ball" {actually more of a cone} is nylon/plastic. Again cheesy. It may never be a problem though a steel ball would inspire more confidence for long term durability.
4. The stock is nothing great and there are no aftermarket stocks available.
All in all I'd rather have a Savage 110/ Stevens 200 as there are aftermarket stocks and triggers available and the rigger guard doesn't cramp my finger.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You should like your Venture it’s a light enough accurate gun That shoots well. My extra Good to loan gun is a 30-06 Venture with a Meopta 2-10 until my 1st great grandson is ready to hunt deer. He turned 6 last month so have it a while longer. Cousin’s backup elk gun is a 300 WM Venture with a Zeiss on it very accurate out to over 600 yards.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
All in all I'd rather have a Savage 110/ Stevens 200 as there are aftermarket stocks and triggers available and the rigger guard doesn't cramp my finger.

Makes perfect sense...but I will say this, I've owned a Stevens 200, and the Venture "feels" better to me. There isn't really anything I would change, although it would be nice if you could easily swap the barrels over like a Savage.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Pretty good chance it will be an accurate rifle. The guys I know shoot cheap factory ammo into an 1 and 1/2 easy.

I have the predecessor, the icon. Shame they quite making that rifle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Makes perfect sense...but I will say this, I've owned a Stevens 200, and the Venture "feels" better to me. There isn't really anything I would change, although it would be nice if you could easily swap the barrels over like a Savage.
I've got a Stevens 200 in a Boyds prarie hunter laminated stock with a Rifle Basix trigger. It feels better, looks better and is more accurate than my Venture. I got the Stevens on sale NIB for 250.00 nine years ago, added the boyds stock for 99.00 and the Basix trigger for 89.00. for a grand total of 438.00. That's just about what the Venture cost 3 years ago when my wife bought it for me for Christmas. The Venture actually feels like crap to me. Trigger guard too small, forend too narrow, so-so trigger and has been relegated to bang around truck/ATV duty. I'd get rid of it if I had bought it myself but will keep it because it was a thoughtful gift from my wife and I need a beater truck gun anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I own 2 TC icons, and the venture should have the same rifling, bolt, and trigger as the Icon.

I've gifted a factory new Steven's 200 ,308 with a prostaff scope to a youngster. Before I did, I zeroed the scope .

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if a factory venture didnt out perform a factory Steven's 200.

And I am not anti stevens/savage. But then again, my experience with TC predates S&Ws takeover.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I own 2 TC icons, and the venture should have the same rifling, bolt, and trigger as the Icon.

I've gifted a factory new Steven's 200 ,308 with a prostaff scope to a youngster. Before I did, I zeroed the scope .

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if a factory venture didnt out perform a factory Steven's 200.

And I am not anti stevens/savage. But then again, my experience with TC predates S&Ws takeover.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SCgman1

I hope the icon hasn't got the same cheap ass, Mickey mouse trigger as the Venture. My Stevens 200 is more accurate than my Venture by a good bit. At this point I've probably had a dozen Savage 110's and derivatives and all but one have been very accurate.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They shoot good!

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I contacted T/C yesterday, or whoever currently owns the brand, and the rifle is part of the recall...they are mailing me out a return label.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,426
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.