Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I try to keep things simple when reloading, to the extent I can anyway. Would like to try a better quality die than my current standard RCBS. Don’t really want the added complexity of bushings, so who makes the most concentric FL expander ball dies? Yes, I realize looking for less runout with an expander ball is kinda contradictory, but let’s just go with it for the time being.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 06/11/20.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Forster, hands down.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forster makes a great product. If you are planning to stick with a specific case mfr. you could also have them hone the neck of the die to better match up with the neck thickness and reduce overworking the brass. That can also help improve concentricity.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Forster, hands down.

Which Forster model?

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I like the specs on the Redding Master Hunter set. Well, other than the price tag! Anybody use these? Worth the bread?

Last edited by SDHNTR; 06/11/20.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Definitely and easily Forster. No question. Redding makes good dies but not on the same level. I just sent two sets of dies back to Redding because they both introduced .002-.004 wobble into the cases. The answer here is Forster. Seriously. As for the model, you said you wanted FL dies, so that's what I'd get.

Last edited by TX35W; 06/11/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The best FL size with expander ball is Forster honed to match the brass being used.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Forster, hands down.

Which Forster model?

I just use their standard "Bench Rest" die sets. I have a couple of their micrometer seating dies, which are nice when playing with seating depth, but by no means required.

I've pretty much switched to Forster across the board, and my problems with runout have gone away. My run out gauge doesn't get much use anymore.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Very much appreciated. Thanks all. Forsters on order.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Forster, hands down.

Which Forster model?

I just use their standard "Bench Rest" die sets. I have a couple of their micrometer seating dies, which are nice when playing with seating depth, but by no means required.

I've pretty much switched to Forster across the board, and my problems with runout have gone away. My run out gauge doesn't get much use anymore.

I never did try Forster FL dies. Over time I went from Hornady and RCBS FL sets to Redding FL sets, then moved on to Redding body dies, Lee collet neck dies and Forster seaters. I suppose if I was convinced I needed to move back to FL dies, I'd go Forster or possibly something like Whidden or some other custom maker. Not something I'm inclined to do, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mighty Armory

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'm soundly in the Forster camp as well, but Reddings with their floating carbide expanders are also top notch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is concentricity a function of the tool or the brass?
If the tool I imagine that stem flex or expander ball float would be the culprit,
Though it still seems the brass is in control...
Like controlling a hockey puck way in front of you with one hand on the stick....

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 06/12/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Is concentricity a function of the tool or the brass?
If the tool I imagine that stem flex or expander ball float would be the culprit,
Though it still seems the brass is in control...
Like controlling a hockey puck way in front of you with one hand on the stick....

Both. Good dies can't make up for crap brass, crap dies will screw up good brass. Also important is how well the die and brass work together even when both are Independently straight. This is largely a function of how much the neck section of the die sizes the brass compared to how much the neck actually needs sizing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well put.
Thanks Mathman.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Mighty Armory

Just recently Gave these a go in 6mm ARC. Great for converting 6.5 Grendel to 6mm ARC. Ted is on to something here IMHO. Tried all other dies mentioned here at one time or another. Nothing has been as smooth as the Mighty Armory. If Mighty armory does a die for your caliber Id highly encourage giving them a try if you can get past the price.

Advantages -
1.) Smooth

2.) Simple

3.) Robust seating stem.

4.) Low runout.

5.) Doesn't over work the case.

6.) Wide de-caping pin options

Disadvantages

1.) Cost

2.) lock nut may be improved IMHO. Perhaps the lee lock nut?

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Forster dies. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, Forster BR FL die set is my preference. I prefer the micrometer seater to the standard BR seater, but it makes little difference if you're setting the die and leaving it there.

I also use the LCD/Redding BD/Forster seater, and both methods work equally well at producing straight ammo. In terms of sizing, the Forster FL is simpler and faster, but the LCD/Redding BD offers more flexibility in operation and use.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Pardon a dumb question but as somebody here always says, "Start at the start" (although that is usually interspersed with a few expletives).
So the question: what problems are you seeing with the RCBS dies and what is your technique? I have no problem getting <.001" runout with any of my RCBS dies so unless you are running them on a progressive or have a set up problem, how are you setting them up, what is your procedure and what is your goal?
I have no doubt the other manufacturers mentioned make superior dies but short of BR haven't seen the need for them.
If it's just to buy stuff, carry on.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I send a Forster FL die in to get the neck honed, do I use the thinnest brass I have to figure out how much to have removed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.