-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is the place you bought it from a true logging type supply dealer that routinely fixes Stihl products? This should be an easy fix if so. Around here, you can buy Stihl at some of the hardware-type chain stores and in those cases you get a 17-year-old assembling your saw.

The dealer I buy through, told me recently about a guy who bought a new Farm Boss from a chain store and brought it in because it wouldn't cut. You guessed it, the chain was on backwards. Not sure who is more at fault with that though? The store that set it up or the owner?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by renegade50
What I dont comprehend is the bar and chain coming off??
2 bolts on the body of a saw holding it in the blade slots and a tension screw adjustment for the chain/ bar.
Retained in place by the cover and 2 beefy nuts.

Nuts had ta be extremely loose???
Or it sheared the body bolts??? Which have never heard of myself.
Body bolts loose and got play and wobble in em???
Usually if a blade is that loose for some reason
The chain comes off and binds up the drive sprocket.
Unfugg it and retighten tension screws, put plate back on, crank down the nuts and run it.

Unusual........

,...and file all the burrs off of the drive links.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoulda got an Echo.

MM

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bluefish
Originally Posted by erikj
Bluefish,
Is it a new Stihl or used?

New saw. When it works it works well. I've thought of the flooding issue as well bit it seems strange to flood so easily if that is the case.

It's common. Check out the video above.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
For use at home, battery saws are great. If you take it to the hills, you need a generator. It all depends on how you use it.

A couple batteries and an inverter for the truck. I'm warming up to the idea of "needing" one.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Bluefish,

New saw. When it works it works well. I've thought of the flooding issue as well bit it seems strange to flood so easily if that is the case.

It's common. Check out the video above.

Yep..This right here. I just bought an MS211 and this is what my dealer told me to do as well. It has worked flawlessly every time. Great saws for the money.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bluefish,

Pay attention to the video Ghostinthemachine posted and you'll never have a problem starting it again.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Bluefish,

Pay attention to the video Ghostinthemachine posted and you'll never have a problem starting it again.

Exactly how my 30 YO 028 starts....minus engaging chain brake, sweeping leaves, 3' from refilling 'station', foot in handle and alla that protective gear. laugh

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tag

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Bluefish,

Originally Posted by Raeford
[quote=erikj]Bluefish,

Exactly how I've been doing it. Going to take it to a different store on Saturday who deals with a lot of the professional loggers in the area. Appreciate the help with the exception of two know-it-all buttfuks.

The way life should be.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Setterman
They flood very easily. If it floods, it won’t start for at least a couple of hours. Let it sit try it later.

B

This. I have a Stihl weedeater that is a great machine but it is easy to flood. When it was new I had the same problem as the OP. Could not start it and was about ready to wrap it around a tree. Smelled gas and started looking at things and realized it flooded so bad the air filter was soaked with gas.

Here is how you start it.....

1)pump the plastic bubble until you see gas in it....STOP don't pump anymore....If it already has gas in it DON'T PUMP.

2)put choke on and pull rope. If it sputters AT ALL, DO NOT pull the string again until you take choke off. Mine takes about two pulls.

3)take choke off and pull until it starts......takes another two or three pulls.

Use this as a template as all of em are a little different.

If you don't want to wait on it to clear itself, you can take the spark plug out and pull the rope a few times to clear the combustion chamber. Dry off the plug, reinstall and try again.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Husqvarna is your friend!

Yep. But my next will be an electric.
My wife wanted to buy me a chain saw as a present about 5 years ago. We went to the ranch store and I picked one out. The sales guy got a new one out of the box and went through the startup procedure, gassed it up with the high dollar canned Stihl pre-mix and could not get the saw to start. So manager gets involved. They get another new saw out of the box, carefully go through the start up procedure provided by Stihl on the quick start card and have exactly the same result. At that point I said thanks for the demo and walked. Bought a Husqvarna, starts right up every time.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'd be interested in what you find out. My buddy had a good chuckle when I flooded my new 390, off the get go.

@jameslavish

This is inflation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by Setterman
They flood very easily. If it floods, it won’t start for at least a couple of hours. Let it sit try it later.

B

This. I have a Stihl weedeater that is a great machine but it is easy to flood. When it was new I had the same problem as the OP. Could not start it and was about ready to wrap it around a tree. Smelled gas and started looking at things and realized it flooded so bad the air filter was soaked with gas.

Here is how you start it.....

1)pump the plastic bubble until you see gas in it....STOP don't pump anymore....If it already has gas in it DON'T PUMP.

2)put choke on and pull rope. If it sputters AT ALL, DO NOT pull the string again until you take choke off. Mine takes about two pulls.

3)take choke off and pull until it starts......takes another two or three pulls.

Use this as a template as all of em are a little different.

If you don't want to wait on it to clear itself, you can take the spark plug out and pull the rope a few times to clear the combustion chamber. Dry off the plug, reinstall and try again.

There is no primer bulb on a 291

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by renegade50
What I dont comprehend is the bar and chain coming off??
2 bolts on the body of a saw holding it in the blade slots and a tension screw adjustment for the chain/ bar.
Retained in place by the cover and 2 beefy nuts.

Nuts had ta be extremely loose???
Or it sheared the body bolts??? Which have never heard of myself.
Body bolts loose and got play and wobble in em???
Usually if a blade is that loose for some reason
The chain comes off and binds up the drive sprocket.
Unfugg it and retighten tension screws, put plate back on, crank down the nuts and run it.

Unusual........

,...and file all the burrs off of the drive links.

Or set it a lil loose and pizz rev it a couple of times and retighten chain.......just sayin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW the 291 is a lot of saw for occasional work. Mind you, not a 361 or something but a 25 series would probably be more suitable.

Anyway, I have never heard of having to leave any of my Stihl saws for hours upon flooding. Have I flooded them, certainly. Guess I am old school, flood any carb'd engine and you just hold the throttle wide open while turning it over. If I waited for a flooded saw to clear itself the pipes in my house would have frozen years ago.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My Stihl MS250 wouldn't start either. If it floods, I move the lever to the OFF position and pull the cord so the gas clears the cylinder. Then put it in the RUN position and it starts right up.

Not the biggest saw in the world, but it is perfect for my needs for firewood. Only a 16 inch bar, but something I can handle well.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Follow this and she'll start...every time.

I choke my Stihls for two pulls max. Even if it doesnt "pop", I'll switch the choke to "run" and one or two pulls and they are running. As stated earlier, Stihls are prone to flooding..Never give em a chance to flood! Two pulls max on "choke" no matter what!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have 3 stihl chainsaws and all will start with 3 pulls, if the chain came off of the bar you let it get to loose. New chains stretch alot with first use. Cold chains stretch some when they get hot even when used. I have NEVER heard of a bar coming off. That would have to be operator failure.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
That's the great mystery. All was checked and tightened prior.to use.

The way life should be.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 219DW, 57 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,150
Posts18,502,837
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.