Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lack of recoil and the stability of a shoulder fired weapon. My 81 year old Dad shoots it very well. Slap a cheap red dot on top and they will have a 30 round chance. I know recommend this to everyone. The price is the only problem, but for what it offers I consider it the great equilelizer.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
M1 carbine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Other factors to consider have to be manual of arms, recoil, muzzle flash and noise. Most bad things happen at might. An l can’t picture elderly folks with no real general familiarity with guns successfully deploying most of the suggestions.
A 10/22 is easy to operate. It does not make much noise, has little muzzle flash or recoil.

Sam......

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How about an AR 15 pistol with a brace in either 5.56 or 300 blackout?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
About the S&W revolvers and similar, folks with weak hands will have difficulty operating the sliding cylinder latch. The Rugers with the latch that you depress are somewhat easier the operate.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Paul39
About the S&W revolvers and similar, folks with weak hands will have difficulty operating the sliding cylinder latch. The Rugers with the latch that you depress are somewhat easier the operate.

Paul

My mom kept my Ruger Speed Six by her bed for decades. She never stopped being able to work the cylinder release, but did eventually (in her early 80s) become unable to pull the trigger double action (I tested her every time I came for a visit), at which point I switched her to a Walther PPQ 9mm. She couldn't work the slide, but it didn't matter since she never shot the gun (other than the introductory range trip I took her on). She could point it and pull the trigger, and hit targets right in front of her just fine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Castle: I was considering an AR, but Ranger and I thought it might be a bit complicated for someone not familiar with its operation. I don't imagine he'll be practicing at the range much unless I'm in town and I drag him to the range - or my brother does & my brother is somewhat against the idea of my folks having a firearm. I need to talk to him about it.

Tell your brother be sure and not miss his DNC meeting next week.

10/22 with Mini-Mags will get Chumley's attention.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
22 caliber revolver, his and hers :-) 38 special, model 10? Trigger work to lighten it up a bit. Ruger 1022 excellent choice, 410 semi automatic shotgun, And The M1 carbine that was previously mentioned is another good choice.Red dots on all but the revolvers.Mix Match all of the above. That’s my two cents, I wish you the best of luck on your choice for your parents

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Long gun: 10-22 or Marlin 60.
Handgun: Glock 17. Don't worry about operating the slide. After 17 shots, the action is going to be over, one way or another, same goes for the long gun. If you or one of your siblings live nearby, you can go with them to the range and do the reloading for them there; at home, everything will be locked and loaded, nothing for them to do but point and shoot. Light trigger pulls for weak hands.

Only drawback is if the weight of the gun itself is too much for them. My wife has muscle weakness due to a lightning strike years ago, so a .22 LCR or a 20 gauge single shot is what she prefers.

Good luck, hope they never have to use whatever they choose.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger SR22 or similar. Hsnd strength is a factor. My father wasnt even able to pull the trigger on a revolver consistently or rack a slide without issues. I looked at the beretta tomcat model.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snyper
I like the Hornet Spray idea.

It's illegal to use it that way, and it doesn't work.
Get Sabre "bear spray" or pepper gel.

I'd go with a pair of 10/22's if they can't handle an 870 20 GA Youth Model.

If they had someone break into the house and they used bear/pepper spray on them wouldn't they end up getting hit themselves with the residual spray?
Inside a house I would think a spray might be a bad idea.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by add

It's illegal to use it that way, and it doesn't work anyway.

Wrong on both counts, dope.

Illegal to use an everyday home use item in a moment of self-defense?

And it works like a charm (permanent damage aside).

Yes and so does brake and carburetor cleaner.

Life is good live it while you can.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hannity was talking about this:

https://byrna.com/

Might do what you want.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
When my mom passed away, my dad gave me her Walther PPQ (that I had given her in place of the Ruger Speed Six that she came to be unable to pull the trigger on). He didn't want a gun. This pepper ball handgun above might be something he'd consider having, though.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Many years ago, when Bud's gun shop was actually owned by Bud, I was in there when a woman came in to buy a canister of pepper spray he had for sale.

He told her, "Ma'am, if you ever use this on a man you need to get away from him as soon as possible, because he's going to be pissed off!"

I don't think pepper spray is a good idea against an armed intruder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mossberg also has a 28 GA semi-auto. Do y'all think a 28 would be too much for him?

Ammo would be expensive and hard to find.
Load choices would be limited.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one set up similar to this, with the rear folding portion removed.

It still meets the "minimum 26 inch overall length" requirement with a factory 18.5" barrel, but is much easier to handle.

Mine has an Aimpoint red dot sight and two 25 round mags clipped together:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paul_M

It's illegal to use it that way, and it doesn't work.

I'd go with a pair of 10/22's if they can't handle an 870 20 GA Youth Model.

If they had someone break into the house and they used bear/pepper spray on them wouldn't they end up getting hit themselves with the residual spray?
Inside a house I would think a spray might be a bad idea.

They might get some on them, but if it stops the bad guys it would be worth it.

It wouldn't be my first choice, and my suggestion was more in the context of NOT using "wasp spray".

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I went through this with my wife for much the same reasons. We replaced her S&W M-10 with a 380 ACP S&W Shield EZ as it was easier for her to pull the trigger and she can still rack the slide. The compact 9mm were too hard recoiling and she could not pull the slide back easily.

For the long guns, we kept her 20 ga Beretta 390 as she is very familiar with the platform. I have a Mossberg 930 with low recoil 00 buckshot as my gun. She can use either well but prefers her 390.

We switched from M1 carbines to 9mm Beretta CX4s. Part of the reason is the controls are easier to manage under stress for her as well as 30 carbine target ammo becoming a lot more expensive than it used to be and defensive options are not as wide spread as 9mm. The Berettas are also shorter and possibly lighter than the M1 carbine too. I can carry and shoot it one handed with ease which is nice if one has to open doors while holding the carbine. Other reasons for the Beretta was the ability to add a light and optical sight to the set up. Cost would also be a factor for some and I was able to pick up both off the used rack for about what an M1 carbine would run.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (6MMWASP, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 21 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,905
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.