Home
ok Fellers, my folks want to arm themselves due to all the groids running amok in Big D. Dad is 81 & has very mild Parkinsons. He uses a cane, but he can walk without it. He spends time doing projects around the house, and he exercises daily. He's pretty good mentally, but has lapses sometimes where he repeats himself. Mom is 77 and is in great shape and is sharp as a tack. She was quite the marksman w/ a .22 rifle in her youth.

There's no way in hell Dad can handle a 12 GA, & I have my doubts he could even handle a 20.

He mentioned that Hannity recommended some kind of orange plastic pistol that shoots tear gas and rubber bullets. I told him that sounded like a good way to get sued and if he ever had such an encounter, he needed something with considerably more authority to permanently end the threat.

I spoke to Ranger_Green and we both decided that a JM Marlin in .45 Colt w/ reduced cowboy action loads would be an excellent choice for him and if she's interested, a JM 39A for Mom - either that or a Ruger Single six, nine or ten or possibly a Mark IV.

Does the forum concur?
Ruger 10/22 for both, plus a couple Ruger LCR .22's
GreatWaputi: Another good option.
https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-512-22-lr-semi-automatic5-rd-mag/
Originally Posted by High_Noon
ok Fellers, my folks want to arm themselves due to all the groids running amok in Big D. Dad is 81 & has very mild Parkinsons. He uses a cane, but he can walk without it. He spends time doing projects around the house, and he exercises daily. He's pretty good mentally, but has lapses sometimes where he repeats himself. Mom is 77 and is in great shape and is sharp as a tack. She was quite the marksman w/ a .22 rifle in her youth.

There's no way in hell Dad can handle a 12 GA, & I have my doubts he could even handle a 20.

He mentioned that Hannity recommended some kind of orange plastic pistol that shoots tear gas and rubber bullets. I told him that sounded like a good way to get sued and if he ever had such an encounter, he needed something with considerably more authority to permanently end the threat.

I spoke to Ranger_Green and we both decided that a JM Marlin in .45 Colt w/ reduced or cowboy action loads would be an excellent choice for him and if she's interested, a JM 39A for Mom - either that or a Ruger Single six, nine or ten or possibly a Mark IV.

Does the forum concur?
A 9mm carbine, like the Beretta CX4 Storm.

[Linked Image from lockharttactical.com]
Bristoe: Do you have a CZ 512? I don't like the idea of a "fiberglass-reinforced polymer lower half."
Hawkeye: Interesting suggestion. I'll take a look at 'em.
A can of commercial grade hornet spray and a youth Mossberg 500.
I like the Hornet Spray idea.
My daughter brought over her cheapo Mossberg today asking me to take the plug out and switch to the short barrel that came with it.

Done. Had another safety lesson as well. Not a good idea to riot on her cul de sac.
Bristoe: Do you have a CZ 512? I don't like the idea of a "fiberglass-reinforced polymer lower half."

No,...don't have one yet. But I've been impressed with the reports of it's reliability in .22 wmr. As for the Polymer,...it's been around for a long time. The Glock people don't seem to have an issue with it.
For elderly people with reduced hand strength that might make it difficult or impossible to work the slide on a semi-auto or use a double action revolver, a single action Ruger Blackhawk or an Italian clone of a Peacemaker with .38 Special instead of full house .357 ammo might be a good choice. The Ruger in particular is as rugged as a bank vault and very reliable - - - - -the only downside is the slow reloading. Even a SA .22 revolver would beat being completely defenseless. Pick a fairly long barrel for better accuracy if concealed carry won't be an issue.
Jerry
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Ruger 10/22 for both, plus a couple Ruger LCR .22's

I like that better than the Marlin Lever Action.

My Dad had Parkinson’s also in his late 70’s and he could no longer work his lever action rifles effectively. It basically caused him to short stroke the action resulting in a malfunction.
With a semiauto like the 10/22 loaded up with 25 round mags, all they have to to is click off the safety and pull the trigger.

JMHO, for whatever it’s worth. Hope your folks stay safe in Big D.
I visit my relatives there from time to time, but I wouldn’t live in that liberal run schitthole nowadays for any amount of money. It’s WAY TOO brown and black for me. White folks are quickly becoming a minority there.
There should be centuries worth of combined experience here😂
How about a Ruger PC9?
https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

It's illegal to use it that way, and it doesn't work.
Get Sabre "bear spray" or pepper gel.

I'd go with a pair of 10/22's if they can't handle an 870 20 GA Youth Model.
I thinking along the same line as Ranger but I would look at a Henry lever action in 357. Then load it up up 38 specials. Pretty simple pull the hammer back & shoot. Work the action & pull the trigger for a fallow up. Simple enough & they probably used a lever action in their younger years.

Now that I'm think about it--How about a circuit judge. It's a rifle not a pistol. Put 410Federal 000 buck shot in it. It can be use single action or double action. Or maybe a 410 pump action again with the Federal ammo.
Originally Posted by Snyper

It's illegal to use it that way, and it doesn't work anyway.

Wrong on both counts, dope.

Illegal to use an everyday home use item in a moment of self-defense?

And it works like a charm (permanent damage aside).
Originally Posted by add

Yes, it's illegal to use for anything other than what it was designed for.
Read the label and you can see for yourself.

Tests have shown it's not an effective deterrent.
You can Google that and learn more also.

Or you can remain ignorant, and resort to more name calling if that makes you happier. wink
Originally Posted by add
A can of commercial grade hornet spray and a youth Mossberg 500.

For crying out loud.....

Now I've heard it all!
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
For elderly people with reduced hand strength that might make it difficult or impossible to work the slide on a semi-auto or use a double action revolver, a single action Ruger Blackhawk or an Italian clone of a Peacemaker with .38 Special instead of full house .357 ammo might be a good choice. The Ruger in particular is as rugged as a bank vault and very reliable - - - - -the only downside is the slow reloading. Even a SA .22 revolver would beat being completely defenseless. Pick a fairly long barrel for better accuracy if concealed carry won't be an issue.
Jerry

Good point about working the slide. I'm still pretty strong and I find it hard to operate the slides on any of my 4 Semi Autos. Does anybody make a good 28 gauge pump? I've shot one and it's smooth as silk. The Recoil is very minimal. I also second the Ruger Single Action.
Yeah, it doesn't look like an effective alternative to mace. Sorry Add.
Hotrod: Ranger_Green and I discussed a .38/.357 and it’s still a contender.

Chilinstructor: Thanks. I not really a fan of snub nose revolvers & I agree with Hotrod that a double action might be difficult for my folks to operate. Although my Dad does have mild shakes in his hand due to the Parkinsons, it’s not bad and I think he could operate a lever effectively - especially on a slicked-up JM, but you have a good point. Regarding semi autos, there’s the issue of working the action to chamber the first round to consider. Unfortunately, I don’t have a lever handy for him to try. I would take him to Ray’s on Singleton to try one next time I’m in town, but time is of the essence for them.

The folks were hit pretty hard by the tornado in Big D back in October and I spent over 3 months helping them get back on their feet and shoring up the house and the yard – they lost over 60 mature trees, including a 130’ Cottonwood that was the largest in TX (according to my brother’s research). I’ve been meaning to post a thread on the tornado damage, but there’s tons of photos to sort through and then there’s the write-up and I’ve been putting it off, but I need to get it done so the ‘fire can see what happened.

I agree that Dallas has become way too liberal. Every time I go back for a visit, Dallas appears more and more like LA (minus the weather). Not to mention the slow browning of the population, it’s incredibly expensive, property taxes are out of hand and the traffic is unbearable – unless you travel off rush hours. Dad told me he wanted to save and repair the house after the tornado; saying, almost with a tear in his eye, that he wanted me to live in the house one day. I told him I really appreciated that, but I wondered how I ever could afford the 17K/yr. property tax. I don’t think I could ever live there again – unless I was incredibly wealthy and didn’t have to commute to a job. There’s few things I hate more than sitting in traffic for hours each day – it slowly kills you and the stress it causes is unbearable.

viking: No argument there.

River_Ridge: Looks like a good option – maybe in a .40. How’s the action – easy or tight on those?

Hawkeye: Thanks.

Snyper: Thanks. It may be illegal, but so is home invasion, by a bunch of insane groids.

colorado bob: Yep. I shot Ranger’s Henry .38/.357 year before last at Army Joe. Slick little lever it is. Regarding the Judge, I’ve shot a few and been unimpressed. They’re very heavy and muzzle rise is an issue and I’m not a big fan of Tarus, but thanks.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yeah, it doesn't look like an effective alternative to mace. Sorry Add.

Wrong stuff.
9mm carbine with highest capacity magazine available would work well with minimal need for reload. So would a 10/22 high capacity as long as your sure all the ammo will work all the time. Shotgun wise Mossberg now has a gas op 5 shot .410 semiauto. Recoil must be minimal and I don't want to stand in front of three 000 pellets. In-house, any of these your folks can clutch to their strong side and blast away. I'd lean toward the 9mm carbine but wouldn't be underwhelmed with any.
shootem: Very good point regarding .22 ammo and home defense. Remington's .22 ammo is the worst offender. Their .22 ammo is virtually useless. I can't tell you how many squibs and duds I've had with that crappy .22 ammo - you'd think they were having it produced in China it's so bad.

I'll take a look at the Mossberg semi auto .410. That'd be a good option. Thanks.
Mossberg also has a 28 GA semi-auto. Do y'all think a 28 would be too much for him?
Ruger PC carbine in 9mm has an adaptor to use Glock mags. Get a 30 round mag and reloading won't be an issue.
czech: I'll look into it.
Pistol caliber carbine or pistol caliber braced pistol for the win. I have a Sig MPX. No recoil and far more stable and accurate then a pistol. Everyone I've handed to can shoot amazing with it, and it is fun to shoot because there's no recoil.
Why would you not just get them a 16” AR?
I am in the 10/22 camp - a 10/22 with a 15 or 25 round magazine loaded with CCI Mini-Mags or Stingers would be something they could both easily handle and even if "it is only a 22" the deterrent factor would be pretty high and that is what it is all about.

drover
40O: I agree with you regarding a pistol caliber carbine, which is why I thought a slicked up JM Marlin in .45 Colt w/ reduced loads would be a good choice, but I can see the advantage of the MPX, just not a fan of the ubiquitous 9mm.
Castle: I was considering an AR, but Ranger_Green and I thought it might be a bit complicated for someone not familiar with its operation. I don't imagine he'll be practicing at the range much unless I'm in town and I drag him to the range - or my brother does & my brother is somewhat against the idea of my folks having a firearm. I need to talk to him about it.
drover: 10/22 is certainly a good option. Thanks.
I started this earlier and took a break and came back to finish. So I misunderstood your potential experience level. After reading my own post I had a face palm moment. I've been sharing information on this subject with relative newbies on other forums to help out lately. I should have first saved myself some time and checked your post # or registration date. You've probably considered most of what I very written below long ago. The principles are sound, but I didn't mean to insult your experience High Noon. Best to you and yours.

I've introduced ladies newbies and seniors to firearms who have never picked one up.
My observations are that what works best for one person of age or other challenge might be different for someone else with similar physical and mental similarities.

For instance, a stereotype of some sports shops and even instructors is the generic revolver for women and those who are seniors.
I've found many just have harder times with both manual of arms and reliability with SOME revolvers and regretted their choice. It all depends.

If I were you, I would gather what you have, buy some practice ammo, then take them on a pleasant activity that they like... picnic or something. Afterward (not before...lead on hands), take them to the range at a time that you have it to yourself. It should be a pleasant learning experience for all. We can all benefit from proper practice.

One at a time, go over safety with focus on only ONE firearm; then on manual of arms, then targets. Reactive ones like clay or jugs are good after a single.shot preview to make sure they got the first things down.

Maybe just do that with two firearms. Day one.
Compare...

Repeat that procedure with the other handguns and long guns on different days. It's a process.
If you don't have much in the way of weapons, enlist friends or other family members who are shooters to come along and offer lunch and a box of ammo for everyone to join in.
Lastly, I'd find a range with rentals and use their facility when nobody is at the range. Perhaps a friend has property in the country and would like to share the experience.

Use double ear protection, especially if you use an indoor range, because sound blast is usually more of an issue with flinch than recoil. So buy plugs AND a cheap set of muffs for all.

After you make your way through the collection, you will compare close ones again, narrowing down the BEST choices. IF anyone is tired or having a bad day, then call it a day. Keep it positive.

I don't have time to write you a book here so, These are my brief recommendations, with areas you'll be able to fill in with due diligence and specific questions later.

Once the weapons of choice are narrowed down, then give them to your parents as special gifts, OR take them shopping and let them pick out the model that suits them PERSONALLY. It may be totally different than what we will recommend. Also, we don't know your budget, which will also narrow your choices.

THE most important thing once they have said weapon, is regular practice. And encouragement to do so. Make it a bonding tradition at least while things are hot, on a frequent basis. After it cools down, keep it going at least once a month and change up targets, etc to keep the routine interesting. The interest WILL BE enhanced IF they actually LIKE their chosen handguns/ rifles. Maybe a handgun each and one rifle at standby?
Your choices for your specific needs.

Without offering brand or model, My preference for you and them to focus on are the following:
1. Simplicity of use/ manual of arms (basic as possible) Most important under stress and limited time constraint.
2. Ability to utilize (ie. If it has a slide, can they rack it easily?)(If it's got a cylinder, will the cases eject reliably when your folks use it?)
3. Sights . Might be different for your Dad than you. Vision and simplicity will dictate much.
4. Long guns may be preferable to handguns/ pistols.... depending. Too many variables to discuss without more details from you and them. For instance do they intend on carrying to the store? For home defense carbine type long guns of quality do in fact offer benefits. However, if the threat hits without warning, it might be in the corner on the other side of the house. A handgun is much easier to carry in a holster and readily available when taken by surprise.
5. Caliber is last on this list. Important, but of lesser than ammo choices within a particular caliber...give or take. For handgun ammo, I'd start with 9mm if semiautomatic, . 38 for revolver. Recoil is not usually an issue, but can be for too many special reasons. There are some excellent choices of hollow points in 9mm. If you choose properly, recoil is not normally an issue. Muzzle blast is. Consider buying electric ear muffs for them. This will allow them to boost VOLUME to listen for approaching possible threats, communicate with each other and protect their own hearing. Blast will be mitigated too of course. A powerful flash light or weapons light is required to identify the threat. I've found that sometimes that's as far as necessary and blinds them or motivates them to leave you alone.

Remember 2 parting thoughts.
First, if we say get xyz brand and model, it might not be right for them and they may not either like it or become proficient as with another. It's a PROCESS to find and there's more than enough choices. But perhaps we can offer suggestions that make sense. Ask yourself first, "Would I buy a car that I'm vaguely familiar with but haven't test driven? Sometimes that works out. However it's difficult enough to tell our own Dads and Moms what they should have on a moment's notice.
The other guys will likely have good reasons for their recommendations. I would listen and do what you and yours decide since you will be living with them.

Second, if their area is under imminent threat, consider moving there temporarily, and becoming prepared yourself OR moving them in with you for this time. Many think that police presence is pretty good and it's sometimes hard to convince those set in their ways. With training, YOU can be 1000% better protection than law enforcement. Why? You care far more and if you're there.....you can and will take appropriate action with that local training which you should seek out. If it's not available, perhaps we can talk another time. I just don't want to assume anything else that I can't yet know. I'd encourage your family to stick together through these times and not worry, but let the little stress be positive motivation.
Also, don't forget God. I've had more close calls than I care to mention and I'm still here and a Happy Camper because of His protection. He's probably been looking after you and your family too. With His intervention, and doing what you are to protect your folks, they'll likely be the safest ones in town.
☕ 🙂 👍

My hats off to you for looking for positive input.

German Shepard.
Marlin 60, tube mag

16 rounds of LR

No mags for an old woman to fumble with,

Less than $200

All you got is 15-16 rounds...lightweight, dependable

You’re not DEAF AS FOUCK or in a house to add to your confusion,

Oh well, just my .02cents

Forget the hornet spray BS.
As elderly as your parents are they are just about "bulletproof" to coin a phrase, as far as prosecution, or even vulnerability in a civil suit. Get A Firearm!

Get them some kind of .22 lr pistol with a light trigger pull. Don't let anyone kid you I have taken dozens of patients to the morgue when hit with one or two shots from the vicious .22 lr
Happy_Camper: Thanks for the informative post. All excellent points. One problem is that my folks and I live in different locations – me in El Paso and them in Dallas and my young daughter is with me in EP. Honestly, I think the acquisition of a firearm for them is more for their peace-of-mind than anything else. I also don’t envision my folks spending much time at the range. I will do what I can to train them when I visit, however. I’m sure my brother, who lives in Dallas but travels on a regular basis, will do the same once I speak to him about the situation.

I do have a good friend with a ranch near Abilene that I could use to train them, but Abilene is about a 7-8 hour drive from EP, so it would be tough to meet them out there very often. Again, thanks for the thoughtful post.

Slum: Thanks, the Marlin 60 is also a good option.

Simon: Yep, the lowly .22 can be very effective. After all, I understand a .22 pistol was a preferred weapon for many Mafia enforcers. A .22 slug bouncing around inside a skull can cause some serious damage. I’ve been considering the Ruger single six, nine or ten and the Mark IV as well. All tremendously accurate and if he can rack the slide of the Mark IV easily, I think it would be a good choice.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I started this earlier and took a break and came back to finish. So I misunderstood your potential experience level. After reading my own post I had a face palm moment. I've been sharing information on this subject with relative newbies on other forums to help out lately. I should have first saved myself some time and checked your post # or registration date. You've probably considered most of what I very written below long ago. The principles are sound, but I didn't mean to insult your experience High Noon. Best to you and yours.

Yes, I've considered your points previously, but don't worry yourself - no problem at all - it's always good to review the basics and what you posted is certainly good information.
S&W EZ
Sitting here at the desk, a box of Hornady Critical Defense .410 "Triple Defense" shells on the shelf above me. One, .41 cal FTX slug and two .35 cal round balls at a listed 750 fps ( no bbl length listed, might be from a Judge??)

And I thought about the pattern it had when I shot it from my Mossberg pump at the "standard" 7 yard defensive range.

I looked at it and said "I'd not like to be standing at that end when it goes off"

Just another option for you, along with the Federal 000 buck and similar .410 rounds should you go that route.
This is what I still like the revolver for. If you really want a 45 Colt, get the aforementioned Marlin carbine and a Smith and Wesson Governor. They'll have the option of all sorts of 45 Colt loads as well as 45 ACP in an array of clips that come with the gun. It also shoots 410, although the recoil with even that small shotgun shell, is considerable.

My choice for them would be a used model 10 or 15 Smith and Wesson in 38 Spec. Can be loaded up or down depending on how much recoil they want. Essentially the same Marlin carbine can be had in 357 Mag, which will shoot 38 Spec's. Remington Youth 870 in 410 if they need a shotgun too.

If they need a .22 a Smith K-22 or even a 63 Kit Gun would be a better choice than a single action. Pair it up with a Ruger 10-22 or Slumlord's Marlin 60...or a 795 if you're not afraid of clips.

Plenty of pepper sprays out there that are better as a Less-than-Lethal weapon than Wasp Spray.

Those Smith double actions can just lay on the nightstand all the time since there are no kids around. Maybe get two of them. Too bad Texas doesn't have Constitutional Carry. Now is about the time to just open carry everywhere as long as you're mentally ready to use it.
280: My young daughter and I both handled and shot Ken’s M&P .22, the year before last at Army Joe, which I think is similar to the EZ. Not a flawless performer, but that may have been due to the ammo we were using. It was a nice little pistol.

Valsdad: Yep, the Mossberg .410 or possibly the 28 GA semi-auto is still in contention.

EE: The report and the muzzle jump from the Gov’ner might be an issue for the folks, and it may be difficult for a geezer to be accurate with such a short barrel. As I said, they’re probably not going to spend much time at the range. Ranger_Green and I also discussed the Model 10 as an option, and it’s still a possibility, but I think it might be a bit too big for Mom’s small hands. The K22 would be a good revolver choice; although double action might be too stiff for their ageing hands. & I definitely agree that Constitutional Carry is needed now, more than ever, in TX.
280: My young daughter and I both handled and shot Ken’s M&P .22, the year before last at Army Joe, which I think is similar to the EZ. Not a flawless performer, but that may have been due to the ammo we were using. It was a nice little pistol.

Valsdad: Yep, the Mossberg .410 or possibly the 28 GA semi-auto is still in contention.

EE: The report and the muzzle jump from the Gov’ner might be an issue for the folks, and it may be difficult for a geezer to be accurate with such a short barrel. As I said, they’re probably not going to spend much time at the range. Ranger_Green and I also discussed the Model 10 as an option, and it’s still a possibility, but I think it might be a bit too big for Mom’s small hands. The K22 would be a good revolver choice; although double action might be too stiff for their ageing hands. & I definitely agree that Constitutional Carry is needed now, more than ever, in TX.

The Governor is like anything else, recoil goes up with more effective loads. Same with the Model 10, etc. It is a pistol of moderate weight and with 45 Colt "Cowboy" loads will not recoil much. Same with 45 ACP Ball ammo. The shorter barrel may handicap older eyes somewhat but the the double action is much better than any single action. A Smith Mountain Gun in the same caliber will move away from the versatility but give you an inch more in barrel length. In your parent's situation, I'd rather have the 38 Special. A model 19/66, 586/686 or model 28 even will give the versatility of 357 Mag as opposed to just the 38, but I figured your parents wouldn't want that much recoil anyway. Options to the Marlin but still affordable would be a model 92 Winchester knockoff like the Rossi that Taurus still makes.

As far as being too big for your mom's hands...the model 17 (K-22) is a K frame as is the model 10, so one won't be any bigger than the other. Stick with the old grips rather than the oversized ones and it will make a difference. The smaller, old-school grips won't pose a problem with the low-recoiling ammo you are likely to be using.

Bear in mind I'm not trying to TELL you what to do, just suggesting things and answering questions. I hope whatever y'all decide works for them.

My Grandparents lived in Dallas when I was growing up. I lived there briefly too. It has went from a manageable sized city with a lot of upside to just too freaking big. I feel for you having your parents living there.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I suggest an AR15 with 6 30 round mags. Have a gunsmith make it so they can work the action easily. Put a light and a reddot on it. Use self defense rounds.

Low recoil.
Light lets you ID before shooting
Reddot is easy on eyes and fast target acquisition.
Rifle is easier to aim and hit.
Plenty of rounds to deal with rioters

Make sure that you talk to them about shooting people who break into their home so they will be prepared mentally.

Motion sensor lights outside
A barking dog to alert them.
Motion sensor alarm at entry points.

Put doors that can’t be easily broken into. Steel with steel door frames secured by numerous long bolts.

Steel bars on windows.
Look at the Ruger lcrx 3in in .22 or .22 mag. Its single or double action and i think 8 or 9 shots. Only weights 15 or 16 oz
Keep it simple, double barrel 410 of some sort....something without bells and whistles....
Re: the Marlin; I strongly disagree. I’ve had Marlins for years, but lever actions and pumps are alike in that if you don’t shoot with them regularly both are likely to be fumbled under stress and short-stroked. This especially applies to firing a lever action from the shoulder and applies double to an elderly gentleman with a limited range of motion due to Parkinsonism.

The 10/22 is an excellent choice. I myself am partial to the inexpensive Marlin Mod 60 with its tubular 14 round mag on account of its nostalgic appeal and ease of reloading (.22 magazines always seem to have sharp edges).
Marlin model 60 is always a good choice and
cheap and plentiful, easy to find used .
You can buy 2 good used 60's and give em a
good douche ( all the used guns I've ever bought
needed a thorough cleaning) and buy a couple of
bricks and be set for a minimal cash outlay.
One rifle at each end of the house, or 2 together
and not have to worry about a hurried reload.

I spoke to Ranger_Green and we both decided that a JM Marlin in .45 Colt w/ reduced cowboy action loads would be an excellent choice for him and if she's interested, a JM 39A for Mom - either that or a Ruger Single six, nine or ten or possibly a Mark IV.

Does the forum concur?

if I had trouble actuating a firearm, I would want a self actuating firearm. Why the 45 colt?? It is more expensive to shoot, and not anymore effective than a good 9mm. A reliable well tested, (meaning someone has to take it to the range and shoot the piss out of it) Light Weight Semi Auto gun holding a lot of cartridges is what I would want near me if I had any physical difficulties. Something you could put a weapons light on as well. A ruger charger pistol in 9mm is 5 pounds, an sb pistol brace is 7 ounces. Something like this with 17 124 grain Federal HST cartridges and one in the chamber would be within my reach if I was unable to actuate a firearm well, hell I might even spring for a decent red dot.
also I don't believe the hornet spray BS, there is just so much bs on the internets fools want to believe. Pepper spray in your house also not a great idea. 22's are fine until you get a dud then your 10-22 stops running, centerfire guns are more reliable, 9mm has been shown to work, shotguns at 15 feet have patterns about 4-5 inches wide if even that so they have to be aimed.
A mini 14
.410 and a semi automatic 22 rifle. Lotta rounds in a 22. Adequate shotgun power at 15 feet..
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

I've introduced ladies newbies and seniors to firearms who have never picked one up.
My observations are that what works best for one person of age or other challenge might be different for someone else with similar physical and mental similarities.

For instance, a stereotype of some sports shops and even instructors is the generic revolver for women and those who are seniors.
I've found many just have harder times with both manual of arms and reliability with SOME revolvers and regretted their choice. It all depends.

If I were you, I would gather what you have, buy some practice ammo, then take them on a pleasant activity that they like... picnic or something. Afterward (not before...lead on hands), take them to the range at a time that you have it to yourself. It should be a pleasant learning experience for all. We can all benefit from proper practice.

One at a time, go over safety with focus on only ONE firearm; then on manual of arms, then targets. Reactive ones like clay or jugs are good after a single.shot preview to make sure they got the first things down.

Maybe just do that with two firearms. Day one.
Compare...

Repeat that procedure with the other handguns and long guns on different days. It's a process.
If you don't have much in the way of weapons, enlist friends or other family members who are shooters to come along and offer lunch and a box of ammo for everyone to join in.
Lastly, I'd find a range with rentals and use their facility when nobody is at the range. Perhaps a friend has property in the country and would like to share the experience.

Use double ear protection, especially if you use an indoor range, because sound blast is usually more of an issue with flinch than recoil. So buy plugs AND a cheap set of muffs for all.

After you make your way through the collection, you will compare close ones again, narrowing down the BEST choices. IF anyone is tired or having a bad day, then call it a day. Keep it positive.

I don't have time to write you a book here so, These are my brief recommendations, with areas you'll be able to fill in with due diligence and specific questions later.

Once the weapons of choice are narrowed down, then give them to your parents as special gifts, OR take them shopping and let them pick out the model that suits them PERSONALLY. It may be totally different than what we will recommend. Also, we don't know your budget, which will also narrow your choices.

THE most important thing once they have said weapon, is regular practice. And encouragement to do so. Make it a bonding tradition at least while things are hot, on a frequent basis. After it cools down, keep it going at least once a month and change up targets, etc to keep the routine interesting. The interest WILL BE enhanced IF they actually LIKE their chosen handguns/ rifles. Maybe a handgun each and one rifle at standby?
Your choices for your specific needs.

Without offering brand or model, My preference for you and them to focus on are the following:
1. Simplicity of use/ manual of arms (basic as possible) Most important under stress and limited time constraint.
2. Ability to utilize (ie. If it has a slide, can they rack it easily?)(If it's got a cylinder, will the cases eject reliably when your folks use it?)
3. Sights . Might be different for your Dad than you. Vision and simplicity will dictate much.
4. Long guns may be preferable to handguns/ pistols.... depending. Too many variables to discuss without more details from you and them. For instance do they intend on carrying to the store? For home defense carbine type long guns of quality do in fact offer benefits. However, if the threat hits without warning, it might be in the corner on the other side of the house. A handgun is much easier to carry in a holster and readily available when taken by surprise.
5. Caliber is last on this list. Important, but of lesser than ammo choices within a particular caliber...give or take. For handgun ammo, I'd start with 9mm if semiautomatic, . 38 for revolver. Recoil is not usually an issue, but can be for too many special reasons. There are some excellent choices of hollow points in 9mm. If you choose properly, recoil is not normally an issue. Muzzle blast is. Consider buying electric ear muffs for them. This will allow them to boost VOLUME to listen for approaching possible threats, communicate with each other and protect their own hearing. Blast will be mitigated too of course. A powerful flash light or weapons light is required to identify the threat. I've found that sometimes that's as far as necessary and blinds them or motivates them to leave you alone.

Remember 2 parting thoughts.
First, if we say get xyz brand and model, it might not be right for them and they may not either like it or become proficient as with another. It's a PROCESS to find and there's more than enough choices. But perhaps we can offer suggestions that make sense. Ask yourself first, "Would I buy a car that I'm vaguely familiar with but haven't test driven? Sometimes that works out. However it's difficult enough to tell our own Dads and Moms what they should have on a moment's notice.
The other guys will likely have good reasons for their recommendations. I would listen and do what you and yours decide since you will be living with them.

Second, if their area is under imminent threat, consider moving there temporarily, and becoming prepared yourself OR moving them in with you for this time. Many think that police presence is pretty good and it's sometimes hard to convince those set in their ways. With training, YOU can be 1000% better protection than law enforcement. Why? You care far more and if you're there.....you can and will take appropriate action with that local training which you should seek out. If it's not available, perhaps we can talk another time. I just don't want to assume anything else that I can't yet know. I'd encourage your family to stick together through these times and not worry, but let the little stress be positive motivation.
Also, don't forget God. I've had more close calls than I care to mention and I'm still here and a Happy Camper because of His protection. He's probably been looking after you and your family too. With His intervention, and doing what you are to protect your folks, they'll likely be the safest ones in town.
☕ 🙂 👍

My hats off to you for looking for positive input.

Over the past two years, I have more or less gone thru this process ^^^^^^^^ with my wife (62) and her sister (68). They both lack the hand strength to manipulate the slide on a full size 1911 or Glock pistol. We have eventually settled on a Walther P22 for my wife. Even the factory Double Action trigger pull on a S&W 63 was more than the SIL could comfortably handle on the range. Did not want to risk it under stress. Another vote for the Marlin Model 60. My dad had zero problems operating his up until the time of his passing...

Good luck with your efforts to have your parents feel safe and secure in their own home...
.410 Auto (Mossberg ) --- Federal tss # 9
Lack of recoil and the stability of a shoulder fired weapon. My 81 year old Dad shoots it very well. Slap a cheap red dot on top and they will have a 30 round chance. I know recommend this to everyone. The price is the only problem, but for what it offers I consider it the great equilelizer.
M1 carbine.
Other factors to consider have to be manual of arms, recoil, muzzle flash and noise. Most bad things happen at might. An l can’t picture elderly folks with no real general familiarity with guns successfully deploying most of the suggestions.
A 10/22 is easy to operate. It does not make much noise, has little muzzle flash or recoil.
How about an AR 15 pistol with a brace in either 5.56 or 300 blackout?
About the S&W revolvers and similar, folks with weak hands will have difficulty operating the sliding cylinder latch. The Rugers with the latch that you depress are somewhat easier the operate.

Paul
Originally Posted by Paul39
About the S&W revolvers and similar, folks with weak hands will have difficulty operating the sliding cylinder latch. The Rugers with the latch that you depress are somewhat easier the operate.

Paul

My mom kept my Ruger Speed Six by her bed for decades. She never stopped being able to work the cylinder release, but did eventually (in her early 80s) become unable to pull the trigger double action (I tested her every time I came for a visit), at which point I switched her to a Walther PPQ 9mm. She couldn't work the slide, but it didn't matter since she never shot the gun (other than the introductory range trip I took her on). She could point it and pull the trigger, and hit targets right in front of her just fine.
Castle: I was considering an AR, but Ranger and I thought it might be a bit complicated for someone not familiar with its operation. I don't imagine he'll be practicing at the range much unless I'm in town and I drag him to the range - or my brother does & my brother is somewhat against the idea of my folks having a firearm. I need to talk to him about it.

Tell your brother be sure and not miss his DNC meeting next week.

10/22 with Mini-Mags will get Chumley's attention.
22 caliber revolver, his and hers :-) 38 special, model 10? Trigger work to lighten it up a bit. Ruger 1022 excellent choice, 410 semi automatic shotgun, And The M1 carbine that was previously mentioned is another good choice.Red dots on all but the revolvers.Mix Match all of the above. That’s my two cents, I wish you the best of luck on your choice for your parents
Long gun: 10-22 or Marlin 60.
Handgun: Glock 17. Don't worry about operating the slide. After 17 shots, the action is going to be over, one way or another, same goes for the long gun. If you or one of your siblings live nearby, you can go with them to the range and do the reloading for them there; at home, everything will be locked and loaded, nothing for them to do but point and shoot. Light trigger pulls for weak hands.

Only drawback is if the weight of the gun itself is too much for them. My wife has muscle weakness due to a lightning strike years ago, so a .22 LCR or a 20 gauge single shot is what she prefers.

Good luck, hope they never have to use whatever they choose.
Ruger SR22 or similar. Hsnd strength is a factor. My father wasnt even able to pull the trigger on a revolver consistently or rack a slide without issues. I looked at the beretta tomcat model.

If they had someone break into the house and they used bear/pepper spray on them wouldn't they end up getting hit themselves with the residual spray?
Inside a house I would think a spray might be a bad idea.
Originally Posted by add

Yes and so does brake and carburetor cleaner.
Hannity was talking about this:

https://byrna.com/

Might do what you want.
When my mom passed away, my dad gave me her Walther PPQ (that I had given her in place of the Ruger Speed Six that she came to be unable to pull the trigger on). He didn't want a gun. This pepper ball handgun above might be something he'd consider having, though.
Many years ago, when Bud's gun shop was actually owned by Bud, I was in there when a woman came in to buy a canister of pepper spray he had for sale.

He told her, "Ma'am, if you ever use this on a man you need to get away from him as soon as possible, because he's going to be pissed off!"

I don't think pepper spray is a good idea against an armed intruder.
Mossberg also has a 28 GA semi-auto. Do y'all think a 28 would be too much for him?

Ammo would be expensive and hard to find.
Load choices would be limited.
I have one set up similar to this, with the rear folding portion removed.

It still meets the "minimum 26 inch overall length" requirement with a factory 18.5" barrel, but is much easier to handle.

Mine has an Aimpoint red dot sight and two 25 round mags clipped together:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Paul_M

If they had someone break into the house and they used bear/pepper spray on them wouldn't they end up getting hit themselves with the residual spray?
Inside a house I would think a spray might be a bad idea.

They might get some on them, but if it stops the bad guys it would be worth it.

It wouldn't be my first choice, and my suggestion was more in the context of NOT using "wasp spray".
I went through this with my wife for much the same reasons. We replaced her S&W M-10 with a 380 ACP S&W Shield EZ as it was easier for her to pull the trigger and she can still rack the slide. The compact 9mm were too hard recoiling and she could not pull the slide back easily.

For the long guns, we kept her 20 ga Beretta 390 as she is very familiar with the platform. I have a Mossberg 930 with low recoil 00 buckshot as my gun. She can use either well but prefers her 390.

We switched from M1 carbines to 9mm Beretta CX4s. Part of the reason is the controls are easier to manage under stress for her as well as 30 carbine target ammo becoming a lot more expensive than it used to be and defensive options are not as wide spread as 9mm. The Berettas are also shorter and possibly lighter than the M1 carbine too. I can carry and shoot it one handed with ease which is nice if one has to open doors while holding the carbine. Other reasons for the Beretta was the ability to add a light and optical sight to the set up. Cost would also be a factor for some and I was able to pick up both off the used rack for about what an M1 carbine would run.
One of my handloading experiments involved trying to makes shot shells that would pattern from a .44 mag revolver.

I took some steel mesh window screen material and wrapped it around some #6 shot, then stitched it closed with some very fine wire,..stuffed it down into some of those plastic CCI shot capsules.

My intent was to hold the shot together for a distance after it exited the barrel,...hoping that it would break out of the screen during flight and result in good patterns.

I loaded it light. Three grains of Bullseye. The loads had very little recoil and didn't make much of a pop when they went off. But at 20 feet they blew a hole about 1.5 inches in diameter through a 3/4" piece of plywood. Apparently, the screen was too strong for the #6 shot to break through, so they were just bean bags of shot.

I thought at the time that they would be a hell of a defensive load. But I wouldn't have to face a jury after defending myself with a Frankenstein load like that.
Lots of great replies and a lot to consider. Thanks Fellers.

EE: Thanks. Having never handled or fired a Model 10 or Govenor, I made certain assumptions that may have been incorrect. I wil take a closer look at some of S&W’s offerings that might be appropriate for them. Regarding a lever, cost isn’t really a factor for them, so if I do go that route, I’d rather get them a nice JM carbine. I appreciate your recommendations. The photo you posted – is that a Model 10? I cannot see it very well… Yep, Dallas is frickin’ huge and the population keeps growing, with more and more undesirables. Unfortunately, like a lot of formerly conservative cities, all the left-coasters moving to Dallas have brought their idiotic ideas and politics with them and they are doing their best to turn Dallas into the Liberal craphole they escaped in the first place. Frickin’ morons. It won’t be long until they turn TX blue, which will be bad for the entire country.

Conrad: Thanks. Good info there. I was thinking an AR would be a good choice. I know ARs are simple and intuitive to operate for those familiar with firearms, but my folks are not. I’m not worried too much about Mom, but Dad is another story. Hell, I’ve shown him at least a hundred times how to copy a URL and paste it into the body of an e-mail so he can send it to me and he STILL has absolutely no idea how to do it. Copying and pasting a URL is probably one f the most basic things you can do on a computer, but he simply cannot grasp the concept, no matter how many times I instruct him. Even writing down each step in detail for him is an exercise in futility. I don’t think there’s any way in the world he’ll remember my AR instruction. Whatever I get for the folks will have to be dead simple to operate and will need to be an old, time-proven design. What seems intuitive to us can be, and often is, a complete mystery to some older folks. Have you ever tried to teach an old-timer how to use a computer – someone who has spent his whole life with hand-written legers and mechanical lever-operated adding machines – someone who hasn’t ever used a computer in their life? I can tell you from first-hand experience that such new devices and concepts are completely and absolutely foreign to them and many simply cannot grasp the concepts. So, I’m not sure the AR is the best option for them – the danged things just look too modern, what with all the switches and levers, synthetic stocks, rails, lights, lasers, red dots and that sinister all black color scheme!

CrookedS: Thanks. I’ll take a look.

Birdwatcher: Thanks & duly noted regarding levers. I agree that a semi auto .22 would be a good choice – either a rifle or a pistola.

Ranger99: Agreed.

jimmyp: Thanks. I agree that a semi-auto is a good choice. Cost is not an issue – either of the firearm or the ammunition. I prefer the .45 Colt because it has more authority than a 9 and with less than stellar marksmanship I want him to be able to persuade a doped-up attacker that he made the wrong choice. I understand that are many who favor the 9 for various reasons, but I am not one of them. Regarding the effectiveness of the 9 over the .45, that’s obviously debatable, but I’m not really interested in a debate regarding the merits and faults of each. Besides, the point is moot if I decide on a .22 Semi auto anyway… I don’t believe that Hornet spray would be a good option either, but in certain situations, where a firearm isn’t immediately available, it’s certainly better than nothing – I certainly wouldn’t want to get sprayed in the face w/ hornet spray and I’m willing to bet that there’s not many who are. I also agree that a big problem with .22s is the quality of ammunition. Duds are a real problem and as I stated, I would never choose Remington .22 ammo for self-defense. Of the readily available .22 ammunition, CCI and Winchester have been pretty good, but I think anyone using a .22 for self defense is taking a chance with a .22. Thanks again.

hanco: Meebe.

benchman: Sounds good… or a .410 (or 28) and a Ruger Mark IV.

AKA_Spook: nice lookin’ little heater there.

Orion2000: Thanks. Generally, the folks do feel secure, but with all the groids, violence and the fact that Dallas is turning bluer by the day, I think it wise that they are wanting to arm themselves. Having a firearm or two in the house will go a long way towards ensuring their peace of mind. I’ll take a look at the Walther.

Wldthg: Yep. Good suggestion.

40O: I’ll take a close look at the Sig MPX and other variants. Thanks.

viking: I would absolutely love to get them an M1 carbine, but seriously, do you really think my folks could handle the weight, recoil and muzzle blast? I’ve been wanting to get an M1 for years and this would be a great opportunity to do so. I just didn’t consider it due to the aforementioned factors.

Mannlicher: I believe I agree with your general assessment. I don’t want to get them a firearm that will potentially cause more problems than it solves.

Paul: Good to know. Thanks. I have several Rugers on my list.

Hawkeye: Also good to know. The Walther has been mentioned before as a possibility and I’ll take a closer look.

local_dirt: Sigh… G-d love him, but my brother has some absolutely crazy ideas. He describes himself as an independent, and he recognizes that Trump was a much better choice than Cankles ever was, but I catch him making snide, almost under his breath, comments about Trump when we talk. I don’t want to denigrate my brother, but the dumbass bet me $20K that everybody, EVERYBODY, would end up getting the ‘Rona. He fell hook-line-and-sinker for the global warming/climate change scam as well and doesn’t understand that these are just another scam in a long line of scams the Leftists use to try and scare the bejesus of the population in an effort to gain power, control the population, usher in Globalism, confiscate our weapons and redistribute our wealth. He and I have had some pretty heated arguments regarding his idiotic beliefs. Maybe by the time this idiotic Kung Flu thing dies down and he has to shell out that 20 grand to me, he’ll see the light. Getting laid-off from his oilfield job certainly didn’t.

BamBam: Yep, all of the weapons you mentioned are currently under contention. I really like the idea of the Garand carbine as well, but I have concerns about the weight, recoil and report with the M1, as mentioned above. Thanks.

There_Ya_Go: Thanks. Hopefully they’ll never have to use whatever weapon they end up with, but if they are involved in an altercation, like you said, I hope the action will be over after a clip has been emptied.

Esox: Thanks, but I think a longer barrel will be beneficial, I don’t imagine that he’ll be very accurate with a snub.

Paul_M: I agree and that orange teargas pistol would be a bad idea indoors as well.

TrueGrit: Plenty of brake and carb cleaner in the garage.

G5m: Thanks, but I’ve ruled out such a device.

Hawkeye: Thankyousir.

Bristoe: Agreed regarding the pepper spray.

Snyper: Agreed, but he’d probably only need a single box. I agree with your assessment of wasp spray. Thanks.
[color:#FF0000][/color]
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
This is what I still like the revolver for. If you really want a 45 Colt, get the aforementioned Marlin carbine and a Smith and Wesson Governor. They'll have the option of all sorts of 45 Colt loads as well as 45 ACP in an array of clips that come with the gun. It also shoots 410, although the recoil with even that small shotgun shell, is considerable.

My choice for them would be a used model 10 or 15 Smith and Wesson in 38 Spec. Can be loaded up or down depending on how much recoil they want. Essentially the same Marlin carbine can be had in 357 Mag, which will shoot 38 Spec's. Remington Youth 870 in 410 if they need a shotgun too.

If they need a .22 a Smith K-22 or even a 63 Kit Gun would be a
better choice than a single action. Pair it up with a Ruger 10-22 or Slumlord's Marlin 60...or a 795 if you're not afraid of clips.

Plenty of pepper sprays out there that are better as a Less-than-Lethal weapon than Wasp Spray.

Those Smith double actions can just lay on the nightstand all the time since there are no kids around. Maybe get two of them. Too bad Texas doesn't have Constitutional Carry. Now is about the time to just open carry everywhere as long as you're mentally ready to use it.

Can’t add much better advice to this post. I liked the JM idea right off the bat. Maybe a 94 in .357 and a couple S&W 66’s or 686’s is all I’d change, if that. My mom died of parkinsons, and now my pop’s got it at 85. GI figure. He shakes pretty bad sometimes, meds depending, but he can def still work a simple lever.
I'd really like to get some feedback on the M1 Garand carbine idea.
something ruger in 22lr: sr22, bearcat are lightweight, easy, handy, reliable. charger, wrangler, lcr-x single six, mk4 are possible if these meet your parents’ hand strength situation. non ruger alternatives that i have experience with: heritage roughrider 22lr preferably 9 shot version, beretta neos.

i put a 9 shot roughrider in my elderly mom’s apartment for her use in extremis. she liked its safety and by-the-numbers single action manual of arms. i figured that 9 cci stingers would sufficiently address her needs in her locale until security arrived.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Many years ago, when Bud's gun shop was actually owned by Bud, I was in there when a woman came in to buy a canister of pepper spray he had for sale.

He told her, "Ma'am, if you ever use this on a man you need to get away from him as soon as possible, because he's going to be pissed off!"

I don't think pepper spray is a good idea against an armed intruder.

pepper spray is one thing, but cs mace is not a good idea, except in use on old ladies.
got a call one night this extremely intoxicated guy was beating up on his parents, he was offended at the idea of us cuffing him. two of us rolling around on the floor with him, bad mistake. i sprayed him with so much of that stuff it was running down his face. he just laughed.
on the way to the jail, windows down, a/c on, we had our heads out the window like dogs, he was still laughing. at the station we washed it out, and about an hour later it hit him.
didn't have tazers in those days.
I can't see why you wouldn't go with a PCC, either the 357 lever or any of the 9mm semi auto's.
Ruger SR22 isn't a bad choice under the circumstances. My wife and I are both old, but she wouldn't like my saying it.

I like the safety potential of the double/single action feature, although it calls for some practice to get familiar with it. The backassward safety sucks, so it isn't used, certainly not under defense circumstances.

The EZ .380 is also a nice grandma gun, and the only semiauto slide she can operate.

Paul

EE: Thanks. Having never handled or fired a Model 10 or Govenor, I made certain assumptions that may have been incorrect. I wil take a closer look at some of S&W’s offerings that might be appropriate for them. Regarding a lever, cost isn’t really a factor for them, so if I do go that route, I’d rather get them a nice JM carbine. I appreciate your recommendations. The photo you posted – is that a Model 10? I cannot see it very well…
No HN. That's the S&W Governor.

That's another shot of the Governor.

A model 10 is a smaller overall gun on S&W's K frame which is a smaller frame than the Governor's. I would not get a new one if they are still made. I'd get a used model 10, not because of cost but just because I don't like the looks or ergonomics of most new Smith's. The Governor is an exception. I'd get it new.

I have two 512s. You never even notice the polymer frame (Glock uses polymer frames, no one fusses about a low round count with a Glock), it's not a factor in normal shooting whatsoever. It's just a housing for the trigger group. All the pressure is contained in the aluminum upper (just like a 10/22 has an aluminum upper).

I've had a scad of 10/22s over the years, straight out of the box, the 512s are more accurate. by far. My 512 in .22LR will outshoot my 10/22 with it's Green Mountain barrel every single day.
!2 gauge pump with mini shot shells

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammo/12-gauge/mini-and-short-shells/
Originally Posted by charleeontop

I like the mini shells in SxS but watch Paul Harrell's test of them. They malfunctioned in multiple different pump guns. You can load a ton, but might only get to cycle a couple.
Claymores in the bushes out front...pull string problem gone..
Something about ARs. In an enclosed area a .223 with flash hider when fired is EAR SPLITTING even with hearing protection. 9mm not so much.
Smith & Wesson Model 10 38 Special with standard loads, no +P's, for him. Pour Madame, a Ruger 10/22 with ammo that was tried and found to function 100% in that gun. And range time or it doesn't
work no matter what they use.
Originally Posted by g5m
Hannity was talking about this:

https://byrna.com/

Might do what you want.

Huck Fannity.. Get a shotgun!

Oooops, just saw the Parkinson's thing. Still pick the 20 gauge. One thing I'd be more afraid to be up against than a pissed octogenarian with a shotgun would be up against a pissed octogenarian with Parkinson's...and a shotgun.

g
Last thing for now High Noon.

Saw this video below earlier and it reminded me of something that I did the first time an intruder broke in in the middle of the night in a nice neighborhood. The break in occurred breaching the lock on a door that splintered some frame wood. I don't want to worry you. I just want to relate a lesson that I learned from my experience that might help. I was just a teenager at the time. The kick of the door surprisingly didn't awaken me.
Some one made it past my bedroom to my mom's upstairs. He woke her up and she ran to my.room
It was her screams that got my attention.
I got my Mom secured then went straight to my brothers room with single shot squirrel gun in hand and a Pittsburgh pirates souvenir bat in hand because those were the best weapons that I had at the time. He was still asleep through it all. We weren't deaf. It just taught.me to evaluate the situation the next day.

I secured a lower window and doors so that it would.do 2 things:

1. slow down any normal breaching tools/kicks.
2. make any future break in very loud.

This would hopefully wake us up and provide me more time to be ready to identify and stop the threat(s) before they had time to get to family members.

That said, it might be worth it for your brother to install some quick/easy alarms on the doors and windows. Nothing fancy, just something that he can pick up locally that will wake up your folks if, God forbid someone tries entry. There's door hangers with sensors and paste ons that are just ok for temporary, etc. The installation of a quick effective door jambs and or frame mounted blocks might provide them more time to defend their castle if any Invaders get past the mote.

You'll notice the timing of the flashes below. Also note how fast the trash got through the door. This is over 90% of the doors in Amerika. Got me thinking about you and your concern for your family. How this is one more piece of the defense system. If nothing else will provide a little more piece of mind.

Best to them for health, happiness and a very long life.

[video:youtube]https://www.brighteon.com/338c93f1-acc9-4d5b-9bc9-4d9a017ba701[/video]
The Benelli M4 assault shotgun is very popular right now.
I’ve had a relative with Parkinsons, actually the trembling ain’t the worst part, the general paralysis and loss of range of motion caused by the tensed-up muscles is. Parkinsonism isn’t caused by muscles not working, it’s caused by muscles working against each other.

Based on what I’ve seen, a handgun is unlikely to work. With a longarm the “good” arm can do most of the bringing the gun to bear on the target, presuming the afflicted person has an operable trigger finger on the necessary hand. IIRC Parkinsonism typically affects the hand you use the most first.

local_dirt: Sigh… G-d love him, but my brother has some absolutely crazy ideas. He describes himself as an independent, and he recognizes that Trump was a much better choice than Cankles ever was, but I catch him making snide, almost under his breath, comments about Trump when we talk. I don’t want to denigrate my brother, but the dumbass bet me $20K that everybody, EVERYBODY, would end up getting the ‘Rona. He fell hook-line-and-sinker for the global warming/climate change scam as well and doesn’t understand that these are just another scam in a long line of scams the Leftists use to try and scare the bejesus of the population in an effort to gain power, control the population, usher in Globalism, confiscate our weapons and redistribute our wealth. He and I have had some pretty heated arguments regarding his idiotic beliefs. Maybe by the time this idiotic Kung Flu thing dies down and he has to shell out that 20 grand to me, he’ll see the light. Getting laid-off from his oilfield job certainly didn’t.

High Noon, he sounds exactly like one of my brothers. Hunter, fisherman, outdoorsman, gun guy. He's worked and made his fortune in the woods for 40 years. WTH?
Just want to say thanks for all the great input. Knowing my parents, I decided that the most sensible first firearm for them is a stainless Ruger MK IV. I don't want to scare them off firearms with the violence (report and recoil) of a more powerful firearm. This way they can begin by learning the basics of safety, operation, tactics and maintenance, and avoid the development of bad habits before I introduce a more powerful firearm. This will be very important for them.

When I think they're adequately prepared, I will get them a JM Marlin Model 94 in .45 Colt with reduced Cowboy Action loads, a M1 Garand carbine, or a Mossberg .410 GA or .28 GA semi-auto shotgun. I realize the M1 is probably too much, but as I stated, it'd be a great excuse to get a Garand grin

Thanks again, Fellers.
local_dirt: Tell your brother be sure and not miss his DNC meeting next week.

grin
Nooner, you really should take your folks out for an actual shoot if you can, see what they can handle and whether or not they can HIT anything.

I have been thinking pretty hard about what to get for home defense, and that purpose only, as well as a car gun, and just about everything I think of leans toward something that works when all you have left are gross motor skills, either buzzed on adrenaline or fuzzed from sleep. Your Dad is already shaky.

Also a consideration is the closed environment where gunfire is a shock in itself, meaning noise control.

So with all that in mind, I'm looking really hard at a pistol caliber "carbine" or a "cheater" in the guise of a "pistol" with an "arm brace." One for home and one for under the seat in the rig, in a tennis racket bag or something. Green laser, suppressed, big charging handle (or good safety for locked and loaded). Big magazine so reloading is the last thing to worry about.

I say green because it might be a daytime problem and the sun shines bright in Texas.

I'd also look real hard at going with a 410 or 28 gauge shotgun, reliable semi or pump, if it is 29 inches long with at least 18 inches of barrel (don't forget the laser), that might work.

Even if you go the Mark 4 route, I'd still consider a can and a green laser mounted to it. It needs to be user friendly above all.
Thanks Dave. Once they learn the basics and are proficient, I'll get them something along the lines of what you've suggested.
Dude, M1 carbine, aka .30 carbine. Not 30-06 Garand or M1a 308 power.
Just want to say thanks for all the great input. Knowing my parents, I decided that the most sensible first firearm for them is a stainless Ruger MK IV. I don't want to scare them off firearms with the violence (report and recoil) of a more powerful firearm. This way they can begin by learning the basics of safety, operation, tactics and maintenance, and avoid the development of bad habits before I introduce a more powerful firearm. This will be very important for them.

When I think they're adequately prepared, I will get them a JM Marlin Model 94 in .45 Colt with reduced Cowboy Action loads, a M1 Garand carbine, or a Mossberg .410 GA or .28 GA semi-auto shotgun. I realize the M1 is probably too much, but as I stated, it'd be a great excuse to get a Garand grin

Thanks again, Fellers.

Well it seems that you have settled on a caliber - 22 LR. Now that you are that far along consider borrowing a 10/22 (everyone either has one or has a friend that does) and letting them try that. It would be easier to handle, easier to hit something with, quieter, and have greater velocity than the handgun.

drover
Originally Posted by viking

I'll second what Viking said. Seems like you've made your decision, and it is not a bad one. I've got a MkIII laying on the table in back of me as I type this. That said, an M-1 Carbine is another sweet option. Virtually no recoil and good economics. 15 and 30 rd. mags. Folding stocks if you want.
Originally Posted by viking

Yep. Yep. Brain lapse. M1 Garand vs. the M1 Carbine. Thanks for the correction.
© 24hourcampfire