Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
A can of commercial grade hornet spray and a youth Mossberg 500.

For crying out loud.....

Now I've heard it all!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
For elderly people with reduced hand strength that might make it difficult or impossible to work the slide on a semi-auto or use a double action revolver, a single action Ruger Blackhawk or an Italian clone of a Peacemaker with .38 Special instead of full house .357 ammo might be a good choice. The Ruger in particular is as rugged as a bank vault and very reliable - - - - -the only downside is the slow reloading. Even a SA .22 revolver would beat being completely defenseless. Pick a fairly long barrel for better accuracy if concealed carry won't be an issue.
Jerry

Good point about working the slide. I'm still pretty strong and I find it hard to operate the slides on any of my 4 Semi Autos. Does anybody make a good 28 gauge pump? I've shot one and it's smooth as silk. The Recoil is very minimal. I also second the Ruger Single Action.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, it doesn't look like an effective alternative to mace. Sorry Add.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hotrod: Ranger_Green and I discussed a .38/.357 and it’s still a contender.

Chilinstructor: Thanks. I not really a fan of snub nose revolvers & I agree with Hotrod that a double action might be difficult for my folks to operate. Although my Dad does have mild shakes in his hand due to the Parkinsons, it’s not bad and I think he could operate a lever effectively - especially on a slicked-up JM, but you have a good point. Regarding semi autos, there’s the issue of working the action to chamber the first round to consider. Unfortunately, I don’t have a lever handy for him to try. I would take him to Ray’s on Singleton to try one next time I’m in town, but time is of the essence for them.

The folks were hit pretty hard by the tornado in Big D back in October and I spent over 3 months helping them get back on their feet and shoring up the house and the yard – they lost over 60 mature trees, including a 130’ Cottonwood that was the largest in TX (according to my brother’s research). I’ve been meaning to post a thread on the tornado damage, but there’s tons of photos to sort through and then there’s the write-up and I’ve been putting it off, but I need to get it done so the ‘fire can see what happened.

I agree that Dallas has become way too liberal. Every time I go back for a visit, Dallas appears more and more like LA (minus the weather). Not to mention the slow browning of the population, it’s incredibly expensive, property taxes are out of hand and the traffic is unbearable – unless you travel off rush hours. Dad told me he wanted to save and repair the house after the tornado; saying, almost with a tear in his eye, that he wanted me to live in the house one day. I told him I really appreciated that, but I wondered how I ever could afford the 17K/yr. property tax. I don’t think I could ever live there again – unless I was incredibly wealthy and didn’t have to commute to a job. There’s few things I hate more than sitting in traffic for hours each day – it slowly kills you and the stress it causes is unbearable.

viking: No argument there.

River_Ridge: Looks like a good option – maybe in a .40. How’s the action – easy or tight on those?

Hawkeye: Thanks.

Snyper: Thanks. It may be illegal, but so is home invasion, by a bunch of insane groids.

colorado bob: Yep. I shot Ranger’s Henry .38/.357 year before last at Army Joe. Slick little lever it is. Regarding the Judge, I’ve shot a few and been unimpressed. They’re very heavy and muzzle rise is an issue and I’m not a big fan of Tarus, but thanks.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/10/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yeah, it doesn't look like an effective alternative to mace. Sorry Add.

Wrong stuff.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
9mm carbine with highest capacity magazine available would work well with minimal need for reload. So would a 10/22 high capacity as long as your sure all the ammo will work all the time. Shotgun wise Mossberg now has a gas op 5 shot .410 semiauto. Recoil must be minimal and I don't want to stand in front of three 000 pellets. In-house, any of these your folks can clutch to their strong side and blast away. I'd lean toward the 9mm carbine but wouldn't be underwhelmed with any.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
shootem: Very good point regarding .22 ammo and home defense. Remington's .22 ammo is the worst offender. Their .22 ammo is virtually useless. I can't tell you how many squibs and duds I've had with that crappy .22 ammo - you'd think they were having it produced in China it's so bad.

I'll take a look at the Mossberg semi auto .410. That'd be a good option. Thanks.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mossberg also has a 28 GA semi-auto. Do y'all think a 28 would be too much for him?

- Del Gue
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
C
Ruger PC carbine in 9mm has an adaptor to use Glock mags. Get a 30 round mag and reloading won't be an issue.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
czech: I'll look into it.

- Del Gue
IC B3

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pistol caliber carbine or pistol caliber braced pistol for the win. I have a Sig MPX. No recoil and far more stable and accurate then a pistol. Everyone I've handed to can shoot amazing with it, and it is fun to shoot because there's no recoil.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why would you not just get them a 16” AR?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am in the 10/22 camp - a 10/22 with a 15 or 25 round magazine loaded with CCI Mini-Mags or Stingers would be something they could both easily handle and even if "it is only a 22" the deterrent factor would be pretty high and that is what it is all about.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
40O: I agree with you regarding a pistol caliber carbine, which is why I thought a slicked up JM Marlin in .45 Colt w/ reduced loads would be a good choice, but I can see the advantage of the MPX, just not a fan of the ubiquitous 9mm.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Castle: I was considering an AR, but Ranger_Green and I thought it might be a bit complicated for someone not familiar with its operation. I don't imagine he'll be practicing at the range much unless I'm in town and I drag him to the range - or my brother does & my brother is somewhat against the idea of my folks having a firearm. I need to talk to him about it.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/11/20.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
drover: 10/22 is certainly a good option. Thanks.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/10/20.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started this earlier and took a break and came back to finish. So I misunderstood your potential experience level. After reading my own post I had a face palm moment. I've been sharing information on this subject with relative newbies on other forums to help out lately. I should have first saved myself some time and checked your post # or registration date. You've probably considered most of what I very written below long ago. The principles are sound, but I didn't mean to insult your experience High Noon. Best to you and yours.

I've introduced ladies newbies and seniors to firearms who have never picked one up.
My observations are that what works best for one person of age or other challenge might be different for someone else with similar physical and mental similarities.

For instance, a stereotype of some sports shops and even instructors is the generic revolver for women and those who are seniors.
I've found many just have harder times with both manual of arms and reliability with SOME revolvers and regretted their choice. It all depends.

If I were you, I would gather what you have, buy some practice ammo, then take them on a pleasant activity that they like... picnic or something. Afterward (not before...lead on hands), take them to the range at a time that you have it to yourself. It should be a pleasant learning experience for all. We can all benefit from proper practice.

One at a time, go over safety with focus on only ONE firearm; then on manual of arms, then targets. Reactive ones like clay or jugs are good after a single.shot preview to make sure they got the first things down.

Maybe just do that with two firearms. Day one.
Compare...

Repeat that procedure with the other handguns and long guns on different days. It's a process.
If you don't have much in the way of weapons, enlist friends or other family members who are shooters to come along and offer lunch and a box of ammo for everyone to join in.
Lastly, I'd find a range with rentals and use their facility when nobody is at the range. Perhaps a friend has property in the country and would like to share the experience.

Use double ear protection, especially if you use an indoor range, because sound blast is usually more of an issue with flinch than recoil. So buy plugs AND a cheap set of muffs for all.

After you make your way through the collection, you will compare close ones again, narrowing down the BEST choices. IF anyone is tired or having a bad day, then call it a day. Keep it positive.

I don't have time to write you a book here so, These are my brief recommendations, with areas you'll be able to fill in with due diligence and specific questions later.

Once the weapons of choice are narrowed down, then give them to your parents as special gifts, OR take them shopping and let them pick out the model that suits them PERSONALLY. It may be totally different than what we will recommend. Also, we don't know your budget, which will also narrow your choices.

THE most important thing once they have said weapon, is regular practice. And encouragement to do so. Make it a bonding tradition at least while things are hot, on a frequent basis. After it cools down, keep it going at least once a month and change up targets, etc to keep the routine interesting. The interest WILL BE enhanced IF they actually LIKE their chosen handguns/ rifles. Maybe a handgun each and one rifle at standby?
Your choices for your specific needs.

Without offering brand or model, My preference for you and them to focus on are the following:
1. Simplicity of use/ manual of arms (basic as possible) Most important under stress and limited time constraint.
2. Ability to utilize (ie. If it has a slide, can they rack it easily?)(If it's got a cylinder, will the cases eject reliably when your folks use it?)
3. Sights . Might be different for your Dad than you. Vision and simplicity will dictate much.
4. Long guns may be preferable to handguns/ pistols.... depending. Too many variables to discuss without more details from you and them. For instance do they intend on carrying to the store? For home defense carbine type long guns of quality do in fact offer benefits. However, if the threat hits without warning, it might be in the corner on the other side of the house. A handgun is much easier to carry in a holster and readily available when taken by surprise.
5. Caliber is last on this list. Important, but of lesser than ammo choices within a particular caliber...give or take. For handgun ammo, I'd start with 9mm if semiautomatic, . 38 for revolver. Recoil is not usually an issue, but can be for too many special reasons. There are some excellent choices of hollow points in 9mm. If you choose properly, recoil is not normally an issue. Muzzle blast is. Consider buying electric ear muffs for them. This will allow them to boost VOLUME to listen for approaching possible threats, communicate with each other and protect their own hearing. Blast will be mitigated too of course. A powerful flash light or weapons light is required to identify the threat. I've found that sometimes that's as far as necessary and blinds them or motivates them to leave you alone.

Remember 2 parting thoughts.
First, if we say get xyz brand and model, it might not be right for them and they may not either like it or become proficient as with another. It's a PROCESS to find and there's more than enough choices. But perhaps we can offer suggestions that make sense. Ask yourself first, "Would I buy a car that I'm vaguely familiar with but haven't test driven? Sometimes that works out. However it's difficult enough to tell our own Dads and Moms what they should have on a moment's notice.
The other guys will likely have good reasons for their recommendations. I would listen and do what you and yours decide since you will be living with them.

Second, if their area is under imminent threat, consider moving there temporarily, and becoming prepared yourself OR moving them in with you for this time. Many think that police presence is pretty good and it's sometimes hard to convince those set in their ways. With training, YOU can be 1000% better protection than law enforcement. Why? You care far more and if you're there.....you can and will take appropriate action with that local training which you should seek out. If it's not available, perhaps we can talk another time. I just don't want to assume anything else that I can't yet know. I'd encourage your family to stick together through these times and not worry, but let the little stress be positive motivation.
Also, don't forget God. I've had more close calls than I care to mention and I'm still here and a Happy Camper because of His protection. He's probably been looking after you and your family too. With His intervention, and doing what you are to protect your folks, they'll likely be the safest ones in town.
☕ 🙂 👍

My hats off to you for looking for positive input.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/10/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
German Shepard.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Marlin 60, tube mag

16 rounds of LR

No mags for an old woman to fumble with,

Less than $200

All you got is 15-16 rounds...lightweight, dependable

You’re not DEAF AS FOUCK or in a house to add to your confusion,

Oh well, just my .02cents

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Forget the hornet spray BS.
As elderly as your parents are they are just about "bulletproof" to coin a phrase, as far as prosecution, or even vulnerability in a civil suit. Get A Firearm!

Get them some kind of .22 lr pistol with a light trigger pull. Don't let anyone kid you I have taken dozens of patients to the morgue when hit with one or two shots from the vicious .22 lr

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.