Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just want to say thanks for all the great input. Knowing my parents, I decided that the most sensible first firearm for them is a stainless Ruger MK IV. I don't want to scare them off firearms with the violence (report and recoil) of a more powerful firearm. This way they can begin by learning the basics of safety, operation, tactics and maintenance, and avoid the development of bad habits before I introduce a more powerful firearm. This will be very important for them.

When I think they're adequately prepared, I will get them a JM Marlin Model 94 in .45 Colt with reduced Cowboy Action loads, a M1 Garand carbine, or a Mossberg .410 GA or .28 GA semi-auto shotgun. I realize the M1 is probably too much, but as I stated, it'd be a great excuse to get a Garand grin

Thanks again, Fellers.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
local_dirt: Tell your brother be sure and not miss his DNC meeting next week.

grin

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nooner, you really should take your folks out for an actual shoot if you can, see what they can handle and whether or not they can HIT anything.

I have been thinking pretty hard about what to get for home defense, and that purpose only, as well as a car gun, and just about everything I think of leans toward something that works when all you have left are gross motor skills, either buzzed on adrenaline or fuzzed from sleep. Your Dad is already shaky.

Also a consideration is the closed environment where gunfire is a shock in itself, meaning noise control.

So with all that in mind, I'm looking really hard at a pistol caliber "carbine" or a "cheater" in the guise of a "pistol" with an "arm brace." One for home and one for under the seat in the rig, in a tennis racket bag or something. Green laser, suppressed, big charging handle (or good safety for locked and loaded). Big magazine so reloading is the last thing to worry about.

I say green because it might be a daytime problem and the sun shines bright in Texas.

I'd also look real hard at going with a 410 or 28 gauge shotgun, reliable semi or pump, if it is 29 inches long with at least 18 inches of barrel (don't forget the laser), that might work.

Even if you go the Mark 4 route, I'd still consider a can and a green laser mounted to it. It needs to be user friendly above all.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Dave. Once they learn the basics and are proficient, I'll get them something along the lines of what you've suggested.

- Del Gue
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Dude, M1 carbine, aka .30 carbine. Not 30-06 Garand or M1a 308 power.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Just want to say thanks for all the great input. Knowing my parents, I decided that the most sensible first firearm for them is a stainless Ruger MK IV. I don't want to scare them off firearms with the violence (report and recoil) of a more powerful firearm. This way they can begin by learning the basics of safety, operation, tactics and maintenance, and avoid the development of bad habits before I introduce a more powerful firearm. This will be very important for them.

When I think they're adequately prepared, I will get them a JM Marlin Model 94 in .45 Colt with reduced Cowboy Action loads, a M1 Garand carbine, or a Mossberg .410 GA or .28 GA semi-auto shotgun. I realize the M1 is probably too much, but as I stated, it'd be a great excuse to get a Garand grin

Thanks again, Fellers.

Well it seems that you have settled on a caliber - 22 LR. Now that you are that far along consider borrowing a 10/22 (everyone either has one or has a friend that does) and letting them try that. It would be easier to handle, easier to hit something with, quieter, and have greater velocity than the handgun.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by viking

I'll second what Viking said. Seems like you've made your decision, and it is not a bad one. I've got a MkIII laying on the table in back of me as I type this. That said, an M-1 Carbine is another sweet option. Virtually no recoil and good economics. 15 and 30 rd. mags. Folding stocks if you want.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking

Yep. Yep. Brain lapse. M1 Garand vs. the M1 Carbine. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/12/20.

- Del Gue
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (160user, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,026
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.