Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Kent, the weekend of the 18th would work for us, as we have to be in Phoenix on the 15th.
We couldn't make the following weekend - 2 trips that far in 10 days won't work for us, unfortunately.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Paul, I'm thinking July 17th through 19th but open to all dates.

Location has to be easy to access from major highways and away from crowds plus high elevation. Where are you and Ben thinking so I can check them out. Again Armijo springs CG is closed, they don't want to clean the one toilet.

Forest lakes is the highest elevation on the rim, same kind of country as Quemado. Alpine/Big lake areas are high but not easily accessible to travelers.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Just to be sure we all understand the closures... Tonto, Prescott and Coronado NFs are closed to target shooting in Az.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Kent, the weekend of the 18th would work for us, as we have to be in Phoenix on the 15th.
We couldn't make the following weekend - 2 trips that far in 10 days won't work for us, unfortunately.

That's my first choice weekend but up to the group think tank.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll ask Julia if she'd like to attend this year. I did hear that the school district is contemplating starting school early - sometime in July maybe - which will suck for the kids.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
My grandkids go back to school July 22... back when I was a kid it was after labor day.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's awful - kids need their summer break.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Where ever is convenient for the Arizona residents and easy for some of our older attendees to get to...

about anywhere in Arizona, is no less convenient or inconvenient for me to be able to get to...
so I support whatever is easier for others to get to...

again, if you need others to help set up Kent, let me know..

Hey, as a Boy Scout leader, and being involved in it since I was 10 years old, I don't need much..
Army out in the field also verified that..

pack out trash, bury bodily biproducts, an old bucket for a kybo...I don't need much...
what's easier for others....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will certainly try to attend. As long as it is high elevation, and cool, I will be OK with it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Looks like there is enough interest. Here's what I propose and since it's coming up soon any change of location or time needs to be made the next couple days.

July 17th through 19th

Forest Lakes Az area, I have a couple spots in mind we can disperse camp and shoot safely, will check them out the next couple weeks.

There are 2 stores and 1 lodge in Forest lakes itself and many in Heber 15 miles away.

About 7500 ft elevation, Pine, oak and some aspen forest, usually have afternoon showers that time of year, lakes to trout fish close by if you want, elk deer turkey bear around.

Coming from I40, straight shot to Holbrook, south to Heber, east to Forest lakes.

From I10 to I25 N to Socorro E on 60, in Showlow E on 260 to Forest lakes.

Open to compelling changes but needs to be very soon.

As always come early and leave late if you want, I will set up a trailer/camp well before.

Kent

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi Kent - thanks for getting this set. I have hunted the rim many many times over the past 60 years and passed Forest Lakes on 260 a lot - but have never been off the road into the forest there. Will the site be north of 260, or south? You are correct - by that date in July afternoon/evening showers are quite like;y. Especially for the ladies - will there be a FS toilet or should we be prepared to find our spots?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi Kent - thanks for getting this set. I have hunted the rim many many times over the past 60 years and passed Forest Lakes on 260 a lot - but have never been off the road into the forest there. Will the site be north of 260, or south? You are correct - by that date in July afternoon/evening showers are quite like;y. Especially for the ladies - will there be a FS toilet or should we be prepared to find our spots?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I'll check out areas close to hwy 260 both N and S but most likely N has the better shooting areas.

If you want to shoot on site then it will be dispersed camping and no toilet, if we don't need to shoot in camp there are camp spots just off 260 and FR 237 that have a toilet, truth is I don't know if any of the toilets are open up there due to health safety, they are locked at the lakes down here.

Best be prepared to improvise latrines, I'm sure some of the vets can figure it out. I have a floorless shelter we could use to put a potty in.

Kent

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You'all have fun.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kent, thanks for all you're doing. It's too early for me to be sure, but I'm gonna try my best to be there.

Tell Mrs. Cheryl I said 'howdy'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Kent, thanks for all you're doing. It's too early for me to be sure, but I'm gonna try my best to be there.

Tell Mrs. Cheryl I said 'howdy'.

Will do Randy, hope you can make it.

Kent

In-person summer programs were canceled at Texas A&M so Jace's schedule is open until early August. We can coordinate and arrive early with Dad but the kids and I will have to leave on Saturday. I need to be in San Antonio on the morning of the 20th.

Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action. ~ John Muir
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Over 20 have confirmed, as much as any of us can confirm in these times, and another 10 or so are interested/maybes... That's pretty good for this year. More haven't seen this yet.

Kent

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Not able to make this one. frown

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
On probation again? Did you get a designer ankle monitor this time?

Kent

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,639
Posts18,474,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.