Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ERK
Most of the good old trucks never made 100000 miles and some of the new ones make 300000 plus. Old is old. Ed k

You're right about that old is old but those classics sure look good and are still fun to drive. Here's mine, and I dont calculate the gas mileage, I just dont pass up a gas station.

Attached Images
1F100.jpg (51.34 KB, 496 downloads)

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by AZmark
Originally Posted by ERK
Most of the good old trucks never made 100000 miles and some of the new ones make 300000 plus. Old is old. Ed k

You're right about that old is old but those classics sure look good and are still fun to drive. Here's mine, and I dont calculate the gas mileage, I just dont pass up a gas station.

My old truck a 93 Chevy went 327k till the oil line broke and ran out of oil...funny thing there was only one cyl that has some scoring deep enough to need bored 40 tho the other 7 would have cleaned at 10 ..the crank had one spun Bering so we turned the crank 10 under...if those oil lines hadn't broke that motor could have run a million miles...it was still running good ...it's back tho with a fresh rebuild..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a 2015 F150 last August and going up north turkey hunting last week it registered 25.6 mph at a steady 60 mpg. I got gas 3/4 of the way and it calculated 23 mpg,- but I didn’t exactly fill it to the cap when I started nor when I refueled, so I don’t know how much difference there was.

I keep the display on the MPG indicator but this is basically a vacuum gauge.

I’ll print out the first post and see how it goes - my boy is a computer whiz and has already made some changes for me. laugh

Last edited by tpcollins; 05/25/20.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by ERK

Ed, up here most folks consider 100,000 miles just nicely broken in. smile

Ted

Bit of a side issue but Ted you may remember the one I had the last time you visited down this way. My 2004 blue & gray F-350 XLT Super Cab, diesel 4x4. Long story short, at 3:10am on the morning of May 11th, some individual stole it. He was caught, but the truck ended up being an I.C.B.C. write off and waiting for the settlement cheque. An experience that left my lady and I feeling a little vulnerable. May end up replacing it with a new Ford Ranger. That's about all I really need these days. :)Just nicely broken in, 215,000 km.

Being over gunned beats the alternative, Keith
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
A little follow up. Filled up today and hand calculated milage. 17.94 mpg. The computer calculated 18.0 mpg. Pretty dang close. I’m thinking the fuel bias calibration worked like it’s supposed to but will continue to monitor.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My 5.4 says I'm getting 11.3 mpg. Must be getting 9.3 mpg.

Guess what? It's a truck, not a tercel. It gets crappy mileage.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's the input for gallons of gasoline burned? If the input is the number of gallons in a full tank minus the number of gallons in the tank when you fill it, then you're depending on your tank gauge for accuracy.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gasoline that is formulated differently
will also perform differently and may
require more foot in the throttle to
achieve the desired performance

And. . . It's still a truck

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Miles traveled on that tank/number of gallons to fill it. Depends on gas pump accuracy and odometer accuracy. So far, the adjusted computer and hand calculation match within .3%

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Have you checked your speedo and odometer for accuracy? That is usually the cause of it

My speedometer is pretty much perfect, matching GPS digit for digit.

John

Interesting, as I hunt sometimes with a retired Ford engineer. We got to discussing fuel economy and calculations and he said that was the first thing to check, with a good GPS reading. Speedometer and odometer. Mentioned the factory settings are for the new tires, at the specified inflation, and I believe on an unloaded vehicle, leading to a given diameter. mentioned that as tires wear and diameter reduces, the numbers can be off some. Also said they calculated rolling diameter that way, not just mounted diameter as stated by the tire stores.

When he started to get into some minutia, I just shut up and listened as he sorta seemed to know what the heck he was talking about cool

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No two trucks are going to get the same miles because we all don't drive the same. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
My 5.4 says I'm getting 11.3 mpg. Must be getting 9.3 mpg.

Guess what? It's a truck, not a tercel. It gets crappy mileage.

I’m not as concerned with the milage as I am with stuff working like it’s supposed to. If the truck is going to display a fuel milage, then it should display an accurate fuel milage. It should do that as it comes from the factory but mine didn’t. At least they engineered in a way to correct it.

As far as fuel milage goes, I don’t expect a truck to compete with a car, but since my truck has to be my daily driver and I commute 60 miles each day to/from work, I’m happy to get better milage in my truck if I can. I’d rather spend those $800/month fuel bills on something else. So far, the F-150 is showing a significant savings over my Tundra, even with manual calculations on both. F-150 is averaging about 18. 5.7 Tundra averaged 14.7. So far, so good...

John

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
It's almost possible to accurately measure MPG because of many things like when the pump cuts off, accuracy of the gas pump (I once put 22 gal in a 20 gal tank), speedo accuracy, odometer accuracy and tire wear/tire air presure (effects speedo/odometer accuracy). You can get a ballpark number but I hear people all the time saying something like they 20.347 mpg on the highway driving 75 mph.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My 2016 F150 eco boost got 32 mpg on the highway. I know that is true.

Must've measured your mileage from Bozeman to Livingston.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I'm not sure what the end goal is, nor keeping a running journal, but regardless, enjoy your endeavors, they sound like a fun time.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I can’t remember the last time I checked my gas mileage.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Thanks for posting this I'll send it to my son. His wife drives a Ford Explorer with the Ecoboost engine and she loves it. He told me they are getting a little over 20 mpg hand calculated, I don't what the computer says. Their previous Explorer had the 5.4 V8 and got horrible mpg. It also had expensive electronic problems.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
This may be old news to most but just in case...

I recently bought a new 2019 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. The on board computer shows it getting 19.2 mpg over the life of the truck so far, a little over 6000 miles. I hand calculated the milage today and found the on board computer, affectionately known as the lie-o-meter, overstated my gas milage by 6.7%. Granted, considering the performance, the hand calculated milage is still darn good, especially compared to my previous truck, a ‘10 Tundra with the 5.7L V8.

Anyway, I got to do a little reading on this and found the MPG calculation is notoriously optimistic in these trucks, but I also found that it can be corrected with an easily accessible setting in the engineering mode of the computer.

To access the engineering mode, press and hold the OK button on the steering wheel while turning the key to the second notch without starting the truck. You’ll have a bunch of funny looking settings in your display. Scroll down until up you get to AFE BIAS. Press OK to access it then scroll down or up as necessary to edit the bias to the correct number. To get the correct AFE BIAS, divide your hand calculated milage by the vehicle displayed milage and multiply that by 1000. Once you’ve entered the bias, turn off the ignition key. When you turn it back on, you will see that the vehicle displayed mpg matches what you calculated.

It’s irritating that Ford has the ability to make these readings accurate but chooses not to but at least they provided us the means to correct it.

John

Side question: How did you like your Tundra? I’ve read their mileage sucks, not as capable for hauling heavy load as Ford or Dodge, but is much better on maintenance. Is this match your experience?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This may be old news to most but just in case...

I recently bought a new 2019 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. The on board computer shows it getting 19.2 mpg over the life of the truck so far, a little over 6000 miles. I hand calculated the milage today and found the on board computer, affectionately known as the lie-o-meter, overstated my gas milage by 6.7%. Granted, considering the performance, the hand calculated milage is still darn good, especially compared to my previous truck, a ‘10 Tundra with the 5.7L V8.

Anyway, I got to do a little reading on this and found the MPG calculation is notoriously optimistic in these trucks, but I also found that it can be corrected with an easily accessible setting in the engineering mode of the computer.

To access the engineering mode, press and hold the OK button on the steering wheel while turning the key to the second notch without starting the truck. You’ll have a bunch of funny looking settings in your display. Scroll down until up you get to AFE BIAS. Press OK to access it then scroll down or up as necessary to edit the bias to the correct number. To get the correct AFE BIAS, divide your hand calculated milage by the vehicle displayed milage and multiply that by 1000. Once you’ve entered the bias, turn off the ignition key. When you turn it back on, you will see that the vehicle displayed mpg matches what you calculated.

It’s irritating that Ford has the ability to make these readings accurate but chooses not to but at least they provided us the means to correct it.

John

What is Fords tolerance to that number? Maybe it’s greater than 6.7%, maybe there is no stated tolerance. How did you determine your odometer accuracy? How did you determine how accurately gas was dispensed in your tank every time you filled it? Just curious

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I am going to see if I can change the AFE in my 2500HD to get 18 or better rather than 12 and never hand calculate again to find it quite accurate...at least I will feel better about driving a gas sucking pig.

Dave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 39 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,392
Posts18,469,896
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.