Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
First off, this is NOT a poke at the OP.

When I see discussions concerning group size or group anomalies and everybody chimes in with excellent suggestions, I can't help but wonder why the first questions aren't about bench technique, setup, and weather/light/wind conditions. I guess we jump to the assumption that every Joe Shooter uses but the best gear, is a pro at reading conditions, and is a steely-eyed marksman who always puts every single shot exactly where it's meant to go.

Like I said, I'm not taking a poke at anybody. Just making kind of a philosophical observation about human nature.

Excellent point. And not poking at anyone.

Bench technique is one thing that is hard to master. Everything has to be the same each and every shot. Head position, pressure on the butt stock, pressure from the trigger hand on the wrist unless using the finger thumb pinch technique. Some things the equipment will negate, some it will exasperate.

The OP stated he’s using a front rest that IMO doesn’t offer a good stable platform. 5.5 pounds and maybe a 5-6 inch diameter foot spread isn’t great. My lightest rest is 13.5 pounds with a 14” spread between the feet, heaviest is 22 pounds with a 20”. I don’t use round bags on varmint stocks as they tend to let the stock move side to side or cant just a little. Bad juju.

I don’t use rabbit tear rear bags as the tall ears can sometimes put pressure on the stock differently or interfere with the exact cheek weld due to height. Bunny ear bags only. I also always use rubber feet under the leveling points of the rest since unless using a wood bench they can and will change position slightly on concrete where they can’t be tapped in securely like wood. My bags are medium hardness on the front, hard rear.

I always use mirage shields on the barrel as even 5 shot strings can induce enough heat to cause some mirage when using higher powered scopes.

Wind flags are a must. Even at 100 yards a little puff can take small to large (flyer) very quickly. Even on calm days when hot and sunny I have seen my flag tails move straight up although the flag Prop and vane didn’t move. I always have 2 flags if not 3.

Unless it’s a match I always have my Oehler set up. Let’s me know if it was the round, me or whatever if I get a flyer.

Last edited by Swifty52; 06/14/20.

Swifty
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VG and Swifty are both right, technique and equipment to get same, same, same is as important as the firearm and the components.

I don't have any benchrest rigs as my objective is field shooting, but I really try to concentrate on the fundamentals with every shot, because I've messed up so many good groups and blown so many easy shots because my mind was elsewhere. Real accuracy with a rifle is hard, a real challenge which is why I think we find it so captivating. I never get tired of drilling them in.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (222ND, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,928
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.