Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thank you Mule Deer. It seems to me that I’ll stick with my 308 and 30/06. 200 grain partitions in both seem to work pretty good🙄

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have not found the extra initial diameter of .33-caliber bullets results in significantly more expanded diameter than .30 caliber bullets. This is from measuring the expanded diameter of a BUNCH of bullets recovered from big game from both calibers. The size of holes made by bullets is what kills big game, not theory--or depth of penetration in water-filled jugs.

Had a .338 Federal for a while, and observed some others used on big game. Could not see any difference in how it killed big game compared to the .30-06, which isn't amazing since they both get about the same muzzle velocity with similar bullet weights. That said, it works as well as the .30-06 when good bullets are put in the right place.

There goes MD throwing a wet blanket on us again.
Keep it up and we'll revoke you're rifle looney card! laugh

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by frank500
Thank you Mule Deer. It seems to me that I’ll stick with my 308 and 30/06. 200 grain partitions in both seem to work pretty good🙄

Don't think you or the critters will be able to tell a difference.

But, that's so un-Loony... blush

grin

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
On the other hand, if a true-blue rifle loony gets a thrill from using a "different" cartridge, then why not?

That's probably 99% of loonyism--and new rifle sales, and gunsmithing work, which boost the economy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I haven’t tried a 250. I did try 225 Partitions. ~2500fps, but accuracy was not good. The 160 TTSX is excellent. Mule Deer, I did recover one 160 from the offside hide of a Waterbuck, and it measured .75” across. Turned the near shoulder and internals into soup.

Also, if MD says it performs like an -06, I consider that high praise! I’ve only shot about 11 critters with the Fed, three bull elk, kudu, gemsbok, down to smaller things like whitetails, Impala and a hog. Not one has made it very far. Maybe 30 yds? That was a bull elk that had no remaining heart.

Still pondering my bullet choice for elk this year. Leaning towards a 200 Northfork at 2650.

IC B2

J
jdb Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have not found the extra initial diameter of .33-caliber bullets results in significantly more expanded diameter than .30 caliber bullets. This is from measuring the expanded diameter of a BUNCH of bullets recovered from big game from both calibers. The size of holes made by bullets is what kills big game, not theory--or depth of penetration in water-filled jugs.

Had a .338 Federal for a while, and observed some others used on big game. Could not see any difference in how it killed big game compared to the .30-06, which isn't amazing since they both get about the same muzzle velocity with similar bullet weights. That said, it works as well as the .30-06 when good bullets are put in the right place.

If they kill similar then if a guy was wanting 06 performance in a short action the .338 federal might be just the ticket?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience just about any cartridge in that general class will kill as well as another, but .30 caliber bullets of the same construction and basic weight will penetrate deeper.

If a short action is your heart's desire, then the .338 Federal might be the deal. But the .308 Winchester also works great.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think the big difference comes if you are wearing blue or black socks that day. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by prm
I haven’t tried a 250. I did try 225 Partitions. ~2500fps, but accuracy was not good. The 160 TTSX is excellent. Mule Deer, I did recover one 160 from the offside hide of a Waterbuck, and it measured .75” across. Turned the near shoulder and internals into soup.

Also, if MD says it performs like an -06, I consider that high praise! I’ve only shot about 11 critters with the Fed, three bull elk, kudu, gemsbok, down to smaller things like whitetails, Impala and a hog. Not one has made it very far. Maybe 30 yds? That was a bull elk that had no remaining heart.

Still pondering my bullet choice for elk this year. Leaning towards a 200 Northfork at 2650.

I rescued a 160 TTSX from the deer above and the diameter was the same the bullets around here somewhere. Its in the .700 range and looks like the Barnes add. I agree with MD's observations I have harvested more than a few whitetails with .308 130 and 150 TSX and .338 160 and 185 T/TSX and I have not noticed a major difference. I am sure the frontal diameter changes with different bullets/ogives though.

PRM I'm surprised you would use anything on an elk other than a 160 TTSX I recall a few posts the last time you harvested an elk with it looked pretty successful. Maybe it was with another bullet not sure now but I recall a blood trail a blind man could follow. Every time I harvest one of the deer here with them it seems like they drill a hole through them like 2" in diameter between the entry and the exit.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all the season is going to be on us soon.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

If a short action is your heart's desire, then the .338 Federal might be the deal.

Hard to beat a short action 30/06. shocked My 338 Federal is in a Savage 99 and it loves the 160 ttsx. If I wanted to shoot another flavor of short action 30/06 I've also got a 99 in 30/284. It's a screamer with 130 ttsx's but that's a topic for another day.

LOL
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by scottishkat

PRM I'm surprised you would use anything on an elk other than a 160 TTSX I recall a few posts the last time you harvested an elk with it looked pretty successful. Maybe it was with another bullet not sure now but I recall a blood trail a blind man could follow. Every time I harvest one of the deer here with them it seems like they drill a hole through them like 2" in diameter between the entry and the exit.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all the season is going to be on us soon.

If I do use something other than the 160 it’s because of curiosity only. The 160 performs about as perfectly as a bullet can in my estimation. If anything it damages more than a preferred amount of meat. But damage is what we want from the bullet for quick kills on heart/lung shots so I accept that and try to keep shots towards the heart.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was surprised how accurate the 160 TTSX was out of my .338-06.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wondering if anyone has shot 250 grain Hornady round nose in their 338 Federal?

I don't think anyone has answered the OP's question yet, although a couple of posters have come semi-close. No doubt all well intentioned, but....

The OP asked about 250 grain Hornady Round noses out of a .338 FED, not 210's, 160's or anything out of a different chambering.

I'm also really interested in hearing answers to this question!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

I don't think anyone has answered the OP's question yet, although a couple of posters have come semi-close. No doubt all well intentioned, but....

The OP asked about 250 grain Hornady Round noses out of a .338 FED, not 210's, 160's or anything out of a different chambering.

SQUIRREL!

LOL
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Posters seem to be trying to let him know the 250 RN may not be an optimal choice for the 338 Fed.which seems to be an overwhelming consensus.

Suggestions have been posed in good faith, trying to help.

Probably not many using 250's for reasons covered.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Posters seem to be trying to let him know the 250 RN may not be an optimal choice for the 338 Fed.which seems to be an overwhelming consensus.

DF

What you're saying is the OP isn't smart enough and it's the job of others to enlighten him.

Impressive narcissism on display in this thread.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RemModel8
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

What you're saying is the OP isn't smart enough and it's the job of others to enlighten him.

Impressive narcissism on display in this thread.

OP asked a question, got several answers, several options.

Has little to do with being "smart", just experience he's asking about.

Not sure "narcissism" is an appropriate description.

DF

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I bowhunt, but have a .338 Fed Kimber Montana as a loaner rifle and for walking back to meat in grizzly country. A couple years ago I loaned out the .338 F to a buddy who flew up to northern BC where I picked him up. He shot a moose with it. Two shots at close range, neither 160 gr Barnes TTSX were recovered as they went through the chest broadside. Moose went 10 or 15 yards, then needed to be packed out the rest of the way. Looked like great performance to me on the moose carcass.

I tried 200 gr Hornady spire points, 180 Nosler Accubonds, both of which came with the used rifle along with cases and dies, but they shot significantly poorer groups than the 160 TTSX. I use a max load of IMR 8208 with them. The 160s also kick significantly less than the heavier bullets in a 5#-12ounce rifle with scope.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have 2 338fed 1 a ruger #3 21" and 1 98 mauser. I have a few 250 horn rns and time on my hands so am going try some.I will use a chronograph and begin with starting loads for the 358 win and see where it goes.Will report back. mauser is 24" brl

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thank you Chuck. I’d like to see pics of the 98......

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,846
Posts18,496,943
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.